Escape to the Movies: The Muppets

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wait, Jason Segel wrote that? I didn't even know he was a writer.

I really didn't expect much from this movie, but I can't even remember the last movie I saw that was genuinely funny, so I might give this a go.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Anything the British can do about SOPA?
[sub]oh Brittania, Brittania rules the waves, Britons never never never shall be slaves...[/sub]

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Oh, Kermit and company, how I've missed your presence. Having grown up with the twisted mind of Jim Henson means I'm more than familiar with all this nonsense and I look forward to more.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Can I just say, THANK YOU for finally mentioning SOPA? When you did that Big Picture on PETA I was almost angry. "Why isn't he talking about SOPA?" I thought. "If he had a week to devote to a random PSA he shoulda been talking about that! Does his own job mean that little to him? Maybe he just hasn't heard about it yet? Jimquisition caught it. Man. The way they're ramming this thing through, if he waits until next week, it might be too late," and so on.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Gralian said:
"According to TV Tropes"? Good to know you've found a reliably credible source there, Bobbo.

Personally, i've always found the muppets to be very creepy on the same level that circuses are creepy - it's like a glorification of the bizarre, the downright insane at times, and the surreal. I don't like it, i find it uncomfortable and jarring, and almost disturbing. I've always said circuses were like the embodiment of manic depression and i get the same feeling from the muppets, especially when it combines the real world with the surreal one and being totally self aware about it. Brr.

In regard to SOPA, i honestly think people shouldn't get their feathers so ruffled up about it. In a world where we have unlimited freedom of expression and an emphasis on the rights of the individual and the consumer, i can't possibly see such a hilariously cartoonish bill ever passing or being taken seriously. Sorry. Even if it does pass, having such a broad definition will work both ways - media companies such as the Escapist or IGN would contest the censorship, and in a court of law would simply state the broad definition of the act, and quite easily be able to circumvent it as a result. We already have very strict terms of agreement regarding tampering with hardware, and yet you get jokers like GeoHotz who get off pretty much scot free despite being in violation of some pretty clear ToS. If that's happening now, how on earth is something so flimsy supposed to hold up in court? Really, this act won't affect the average consumer. These companies aren't stupid - they know people with footage of their product on youtube or whatever is free advertising. This act isn't aimed at them. It's aimed at the people who blatantly abuse their product and people who condone this behaviour. Although to be frank, i just don't see it passing anyway. America tends to make a stink about these wacky bills that get put forward, but really, i just don't see it making any sort of impact. Everyone will just laugh it off and forget about it a year from now. That's not to say i'm in favour of SOPA, i just think we should have a bit of perspective about it.
Your thinking too much about it. The muppets I mean. Some people are creeped out by clowns but when was the last time a clown really did anything to anyone? Collage paintings mess with my head but they aren't bad for being collage paintings.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Crunchy English said:
I wonder what will happen if America does pass some more stupid laws. I mean, as a Canadian, I'm not directly affected.
Even though non-Americans aren't able to influence congress we'll still be directly affected by this law if it passes. Much of the internet originates in the US and everything that doesn't will have a hard time trying to replace that large audience if they get banhammered in the US. Not to mention the fact that putting everyone like Moviebob out of work will probably be enough strain on the economy to cause another recession.

OT: I don't dislike the Muppets, just never found them very interesting. Although I'm all for kid's having entertainment that isn't brain-meltingly stupid.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
There's this competition at our school where the class with the most 'points' gets to watch a film of their choice. My teacher is crazy about the Muppets and I'm sure he'll be both saddended to know that it's out too late and that it's a great film.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I'm a little confused to where us Australians will be if this Bill get's passed as it effects the world and not just America. All criticisms of America aside, I don't want to see this bill passed but I'm not sure a person from another countries opinion counts. If our opinion doe sent count of course ill have good reason to bag America for the rest of my life.

Even if the Bill doesn't directly affect us it will still have far reaching consequences that will if not instantly, will eventually inflict the same effects on the rest of us.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Can I get a HELL YEAH?! I squeed like a little girl when I saw the previews for this, and I'm thrilled to see that it's a good one. Also, Muppet Treasure Island is hands down the best version of Treasure Island. Just sayin'.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Need to go see this. Immediately. Glad to hear it's good, and that Jason Segel holds up. I was really hoping he would, I'd hate to think less of him.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Just saw this movie:

LOVED IT.

There were some serious laughs here, both in the Toy Story short (really great gags) and in the movie itself. Also, it has Neil Patrick Harris, which instantly makes it impossible for this movie to be bad. I would recommend this to anyone, unless they hate man's 3rd greatest gift, laughter.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
My Mom would have been happy to know that the muppets were back in the lime light. (We have sooo much muppet memorabilia) So I'm going to see it twice just for her.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
I never really got into the Muppets at all (massive Farscape fan though) and it makes me wonder. How will this land with people who have some vague memories and no idea who half the cast are? Kermit and Miss Piggy and the old guys are basically the only characters I know.

Oh, and the cook, definitely the cook. I remember always being bored with that bear though.

IE. Can you still discover the awesomeness of the Muppets at all or is a childlike wonder/nostalgia for the past required to dig it now?

I have a bit of a hard time taking advice to go see a movie which deals with a property the reviewer is a massive fan of. Can I really connect with this movie the way he did? His brother being a muppet is more than a little bit freaky to me (heading into Sonic and the Princess territory there). I always saw them as being a completely different species, like if another intelligent species would develop alongside us. Not something we can procreate with.

On another note:
While the US gets that sopa bill the Netherlands got reprimanded by the European council because we still haven't put in the legislation that prohibits providers from blocking sites from their users based on content...