Escape to the Movies: The Muppets

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
Daria.Morgendorffer said:
Lies?

Dispute the following:

1. Too much emphasis on humans.
2. The original songs ranged anywhere between mediocre to downright painful ("Man or Muppet" had me wanting to bash my head into things, and "Me Party" felt like it was from an entirely different, worse movie).
3. Walter was a bit of Gary Stu wish-fulfillment on the part of Segel (really, an original and unproven Muppet is given all the credit (and waaaay too much screen time), and has a more 'amazing' act than The Rainbow Connection to close the show with?)

I'm not a hater. I have a Muppets marathon at least once a year. I wished this movie was going to be better, but frankly, I don't know why people refuse to admit this movie had some egregious flaws.
There was some slight emphasis on Segal and his girl, but almost always in a manner that helped move forward the muppet plot. The original songs were all amazing, bar none. They never said that it was more amazing, just that his act was a surprise to everyone, no one had seen his act and they were all pleasantly surprised by how it turned out.
Forgot to address this: No, nobody -said- it was amazing, but the actions surrounding it point to acknowledgement of that fact. Remember, it was a critical point in the show where the cash flow had started running down. A stunning act was needed to 'save the day' as it were. Kermit and crew were turning down other acts that obviously would not have been as good. And let's not forget the 'victory hoist' of Walter just outside the Muppet Theater. You'd think Kermit would have gotten that, right? Nope, all for some Muppet that nobody had ever seen until that night.

So you may argue that nobody said it was amazing, but the staging of it in that part of the movie seemed to say it was.

coconut_buyer

Nov 21, 2009
Bob, why would you, a "professional" movie critic, use TV tropes as a source for ... well anything? According to Box Office Mojo, the highest grossing "Kid's" film adjusted for inflation is E.T. The muppet movie is not even in the top 200.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I hope you didn't get all the information for your Peta episode from Tv tropes...

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
SOPA definitely seems like another of these "we don't have time to read the whole bill" sort of moments. The nitwits have to pass it to find out what's in it according to Nancy P. Hopefully this nonsense can be averted before it needs to be repealed.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Bob is aware he has a video game show, right? If so, why does he keep shoving stuff that would be better dealt with there (or just in a twitter post or something) instead of making room for stuff that's relevant to this show? Like, I dunnoo..... movies?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
That's three of my commonly-viewed online media outlets asking me to support action against the SOPA bill now. After researching the exact wording and legalities a bit more I'd love to do just that, but being Canadian I can't contact my local congressman. Just joined the Facebook group, but like most such groups they're of limited use after you've decided, more for spreading the word than doing anything concrete.

It's very much worth mentioning, seeing as how it could potentially shut down ISP service to any site the assigned judiciary (which alarmingly has not yet been decided on) doesn't like... like this one.