Escape to the Movies: The Other Guys

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So... What exactly could have been funnier if it had been 'R'? Just curious.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
My sincere gratitude, Movie Bob. And apologies. You have to sit through one piece of dreck after another so I don't have to.

Greater love hath no man than he should suffer for another...

Amazon warrior

Jul 7, 2009
H'mmm. In that case, if I want to watch a "mis-matched pair" cop flick I'll just stick Hot Fuzz in the DVD drive. Cornetto?

Desgardes

Apr 5, 2010
I liked the movie. I was consistent in its comedy, and even though it wasn't anything uproariously funny, it made it nice because they usually surround that joke with other jokes that I find just as funny, but miss them because of the other people in the theater. Long story short, I liked it more than he did.

Ian S

Aug 31, 2009
Glad at least the Bob acknowledged the existence of Land of the Lost which, IMO, was the more egregious case of childhood rape than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen which came out that same year. Maybe some of you are too young to remember that show, but I was a little tyke in the 1970's (yes, I'm dating myself) and it was one of my faves. Yes, the production values and special effects were pretty much on par with an episode of Doctor Who from that same era, but it offered up a pretty heady story premise for the time (predating Lost by 3 decades) and had episodes written by noted Science Fiction writers like Larry Niven, Ben Bova, David Gerrold and D.C. Fontana. It was remarkably high-concept for its time, both as a children's program and TV in general. Then the Will Ferrell movie came along and took a big huge dump on it. (I've never been fond of Ferrell myself. I find him to be more annoying than anything, and his doing that movie made me like him even less).

Say what you will about ROTF. I was in my early teens when the Transformers cartoon came out in the 80's, and looking at the Bay movies, in tone and mentality they aren't too far removed from it. The cartoon was big, dumb fun, and Michael Bay to me looks like he approached the movies with the same attitude (right down to nonsensical plotting and technical goofs that plagued ROTF, but that's another discussion). For all the bitching everyone makes about the Transformers movies, from where I stand at least they're more faithful in spirit and tone to the old cartoons they were based on, which is more than I can say for Land of the Lost.

rescuer86

Apr 12, 2010
See here is the thing. When Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson does funny movies like this, he is continuing an ongoing joke for wrestling fans. You see, the character of "The Rock" was a parody of "babyfaces" in 90s era WCW. The WWE fans knew this, and he played it so well that they loved him for it. He is not parodying his "action" career, he is parodying EVERYONE's action career. Dwayne Johnson is a rather intelligent man. And, I think, a decent actor. And his comedic timing is near flawless. Remember, his entire wrestling career was one big running gag, so he knows what the audience likes.

Micheal Keaton is hilarious when he tries to be. Samuel L. Jackson makes almost any movie watchable. Still haven't sat through Snakes on a Plane, but that is one blemish on a stellar acting career. And you wanna talk about funny actors? Samuel Jackson is not only a very funny man and a true badass IRL, but he is also very funny on film. And I personally love it when Mark Wahlberg is in a comedy. He is a great actor and has very good comedic timing as well. The only reason I won't bother with seeing this in the theater is because Will Ferrel stars in it. If he was capable of doing something other than Frank "The Tank" in his movies, he could be a major box office draw. As it stands, however, he should be relegated to doing cameos and one or two scenes in a movie. He is just too over-the-top to star in a movie. Same thing happened to Rob Cordry. Once he had a major role in Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanimo Bay, he is no longer funny. Even in a movie where NPH brands a hooker, Rob was too much. Definite rental material, though.

rescuer86

Apr 12, 2010
Nomanslander said:
Hmm...I think I'll just watch Hot Fuzz again...=D
Yes. This all the way. I have two copies of that movie for when my first one wears out.

Ryum

Sep 20, 2008
I saw this movie last night, and it is very funny. I really don't see how "it is forgettable" is such a sin for movies nowadays.
If you want to go to a movie, have some fun, have some laughs then this is movie is worth the ticket prices. If you want to be moved, or rocked to your core in a meaningful way that will stay with you for the rest of your life you aren't going to be seeing a comedy anyways.

Sep 17, 2009
kalt_13 said:
sucker punch looks cool

This looks cool. Let's hope it's better than the "just decent" Watchmen movie.

OT: I saw The Other Guys last night, it was hilarious. Go see it with your friends, it is definitely worth the ticket price.

Sep 17, 2009
Callate said:
So... What exactly could have been funnier if it had been 'R'? Just curious.
Without a doubt this movie would have been funnier with a few Fbombs thrown in by Sam jackson.

wonkify said:
My sincere gratitude, Movie Bob. And apologies. You have to sit through one piece of dreck after another so I don't have to.

Greater love hath no man than he should suffer for another...
You know he said the movie was funny, right? He just said it was not a big deal...far from dreck.

Go watch the movie. It's fun.

Dxz5roxg

Aug 19, 2009
I can't wait to see this movie. I love Will Ferral in everything he does. Besides there is no way this could be worse than Semi Pro and I still loved that movie.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I love Police Academy & SNL only sucked in the 70s & the 2000s.

But yeah, buddy cop comedies suck balls & I can't believe Kevin Smith agreed to direct one.