Escape to the Movies: The Other Guys

RedheadedKate

Jul 12, 2010
I think they just put Dwayne Johnson in it to make women like me uncomfortable. The only reason I would see this movie in in the hopes that he takes his shirt off, and that makes me feel pathetic. I'm attracted to actors like Gary Oldman, Matthew Macfayden and Alan Rickman, for crying out loud! They have sexy voices and they're versatile and play intelligent complex...

Dwayne Johnson has a really great body.

I'm no better than a teenage boy with a Megan Fox poster. I am ashamed.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
RagnorakTres said:
Is it just me or is Dwayne Johnson actually a decent actor? I loved The Scorpion King, The Rundown and Walking Tall, and Get Smart had him in a good role. I can't be the only person to think that he's actually an alright actor.

As to this particular movie......eh. The trailers never caught my attention, so I wasn't planning on going to see it anyway.
I have seen several different movie genres with Dwayne Johnson and he does a great job in all of the film roles I have personally seen. The fact that he can play diverse roles, make fun of himself a little, but still come off as a respectable guy is pretty cool.

I really like Mark Walhberg's acting as well because he seems to pull off good roles consistently.

However, the fact that Will Ferrel is in this makes me hold back vomiting after the resurfacing of repressed images of him streaking or otherwise showing WAAAAAAY too much skin in his films. He's not funny, just annoying at this point in his career. He needs to do something that isn't flat out stupid and gross.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
the lapalminator said:
Starke said:
I'm still hoping that the Rock gets that actual career he's been spoofing all this time. The man is a remarkably charismatic action star.

did u watch him wrestle
Honestly, nope. I've never been a fan of professional wrestling at all.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
However, the fact that Will Ferrel is in this makes me hold back vomiting after the resurfacing of repressed images of him streaking or otherwise showing WAAAAAAY too much skin in his films. He's not funny, just annoying at this point in his career. He needs to do something that isn't flat out stupid and gross.
The sad fact is, he can be really funny when he isn't acting like he's still on SNL. Stranger than Fiction was actually a surprisingly good film, with him actually being funny while still coming across (mostly) as an adult.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Starke said:
The sad fact is, he can be really funny when he isn't acting like he's still on SNL. Stranger than Fiction was actually a surprisingly good film, with him actually being funny while still coming across (mostly) as an adult.
I should give that a rent, it is always refreshing to see actors break out of their shells. The puerile humor utterly repulses my senses, and while I got a few chuckles out of Talledaga Nights and Old School, he somehow manages to throw in a moment where he conveniently lacks clothing.

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
I remember when will ferrel and jackie chan were reasons to see a movie. Now it's more of a reason to avoid it, so another c movie.
And yes stranger than fiction was good and one of ferrels last good films. I don't know if it's bad acting or bad writing but he really has gone downhill.

the lapalminator

Jul 27, 2010
Starke said:
the lapalminator said:
Starke said:
I'm still hoping that the Rock gets that actual career he's been spoofing all this time. The man is a remarkably charismatic action star.

did u watch him wrestle
Honestly, nope. I've never been a fan of professional wrestling at all.
if you did watch him wrestle, you would be watching some one turn evil before ur very eyes.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
Sounds like Will Ferrel taking a classic and much abused pop-film formula and abusing it for cheap laughs. That is what Will Ferrel does and he's fucking good at it! I shall be watching this, I shall be buying it on DVD and I shall be using it as an example of the maintenance of a steady comedic flow.

NKnight

Jul 31, 2010
Nice move supporting Extra Creditz, they deserve it ^^.

I actually like this site because of you and now him. Yahtzee is nice too.

Mar 16, 2009
I may be in the minority... but I actually enjoyed the Other Guys. There were a good number of laugh out loud moments, and I don't have many of those. MovieBob is correct that most of it is forgettable, but for the moment when you see it you definately appreciate it.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Saw it last night, enjoyed it greatly, but then again I enjoyed the First Transformers flick too so my opinon means nothing on this site

samus17

Jun 5, 2010
I loved this movie. If you love the style of family guy, you'll love this movie. I'm getting the feeling Bob doesn't enjoy family guy as much as others, so it's no surprise about his opinion on this movie.

Alloflifedecays

May 28, 2008
It's awesome that you're pimping Daniel Floyd's stuff, given that I first came across The Game Overthinker, and later Moviebob/Escape to the Movies when he recommended it on his blog. It all comes full circle, I guess.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
ColdStorage said:
Mark Whalberg was fantastic in The Departed, a hugely over rated movie that only watchable due to a few stand out scenes and Mark Whalbergs comedy timing (seriously its like Topher Grace is on the set or something).
It was a good movie. The only thing that put me off was the ending and Matt Damon "boston" accent.

shannon.archer

Mar 10, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Well I wasn't going to see this movie anyway. I refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrel in it.
I share you predisposition towards Will Ferrel movies as well. IMO that guy was never funny.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
I never watch a Movie Bob review before seeing the movie, not after the whole Book of Eli business.

The movie was fun, an escape from the boring drudge of reality. Good to spend a couple hours laughing. Forgettable? Definitely. Entertaining? Most certainly!

This isn't a movie to see to have a revelation, or call it the best action/comedy of all time, it's a good entertainment film that does what it was meant to do. Entertain. I say drop the bucks if you have it and watch it, a hell of a lot lighter and more easily enjoyable then some of the other films released recently.

Lost In The Void said:
Saw it last night, enjoyed it greatly, but then again I enjoyed the First Transformers flick too so my opinon means nothing on this site
I liked it too... Entertaining in an embarrassing sort of way, like jumping in a moon bounce even though you're a grown man.