Escape to the Movies: The Other Guys

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Oh Dwayne Johnson, how you have fallen.

He probably realized that most people just saw him as "That guy that kinda looks like Vin Diesel" early on and decided to move on to the parody stuff fast.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I listened to the opening monologue and thought, "Wow... Bob nails it again."

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Will Ferrel used to make such funny films.

It's a shame that all ended...
I think he kinda reached his zenith with Anchorman. I bloody love Anchorman.

Is it me or is this something along the lines of the 'High School Musical' of Comedy films?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Hubilub said:
Oh Dwayne Johnson, how you have fallen.

He probably realized that most people just saw him as "That guy that kinda looks like Vin Diesel" early on and decided to move on to the parody stuff fast.
It's a living. And being Vin Diesel Lite's gotta be a better gig than being a wrestler, since someone does your stunts for you.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I was going to give this one a pass. Thanks for the confirmation though, Bob.

Also, hilarious Batman and Robin pic at the end there.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
So its just another OK comedy? Enjoyable but easily forgettable? Just as I suspected.

Maybe I'll skip it and see Dinner For Schmucks instead. Now that looks like a good comedy.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Sinclose said:
Nice to see Extra Credits has its precedents amongst some of the other reviewers on this site! They deserve their rep IMO.

Anyways it's been an eternity since I saw a buddy cop comedy. I think I'll see give this movie a go.
That's a funny thing, I actually thought Movie Bob -was- Daniel Floyd at one point, only that he'd been using some kind of voice distortion to differentiate the two shows.

Could just be my ears, but despite the sound, they both have a very similar mode of presentation and delivery.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Do you smell, what the rock, Is cooking?

Surprised hes in the movie though, maybe ill go see it.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I'm still hoping that the Rock gets that actual career he's been spoofing all this time. The man is a remarkably charismatic action star.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
you know, i have to admit i probably wont see it. (have waaay too many movies i need to see through netflix) but if the rock is in it i just might give it a chance. i mean.. come on people... the rock. whats not to love?

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Whats so wrong with the rock wanting to have fun with his career?
He seems like a good guy and should be allowed to have fun with comedy movies mixing with action movies. Do you remember the name of another action/comedy hero who did this?
Thats right, Arnold Schwartzeneger. That that turned out pretty good for him and for us as the audience, so let Dwayne Johnstone cut loose with a few goofy movies every now and again.
Besides they aren't all bad, seriously give Race to Witch Mountain a look and tell me the rock isnt good in that movie... Nothing Oscar winning, but nothing horrible. I was trapped on a plane with that movie and honestly his willingness to accept that role made the flight just "fly" by.
Now if you don't mind im going to put on some shades while someone plays a who song in the background.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Starke said:
I'm still hoping that the Rock gets that actual career he's been spoofing all this time. The man is a remarkably charismatic action star.
I have to agree with this. He was fantastic in The Rundown, (though he had a lot of help) and I've been hoping since then that he'd be able to bring that back, sadly.. still waiting.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well I wasn't going to see this movie anyway. I refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrel in it.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I think The Rock is playing up the laughable ultra buff guy roll. We expect people who look like him to be mean and ultra serious, so when he shakes up our preconceptions we get a good laugh out of it. I think he is parodying our expectations of him rather than the few "serious" action movies he made.