Escape to the Movies: The Other Guys

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
The Rock needs to get his butt into some actual action hero roles. I think that it would be pretty interesting to see him in an actioner along the lines of the Transporter films or Salt from earlier this month. A film that would take advantage of the guy's size and athletic ability, while allowing him the occasional opportunity to show off his surprising acting talents.

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
Starke said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well I wasn't going to see this movie anyway. I refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrel in it.
There's a movie with him as an IRS agent who is simultaneously a doomed character in a novel and has gained the ability to hear the narrator. It's actually, oddly funny, and reflects that he can actually, you know, act.
I don't get peoples notion that he can't act in the first place.

OT: Bob, you're wrong. This movie has Samuel L. Jackson and Will Ferrel in it. People will be quoting this movie for two years... not to mention the "POW" guy from step brothers. I, myself, will be going to see both 'Dinner For Schmucks' and 'The Other Guys'. I'm really tired of seeing all the elitism on the Escapist.

Kruxxor said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
So it basically a SNL skit that is a movie? No real point but to make jokes that can only work once?

I guess you never saw "A Night at the Roxbury"?
This.

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
RooftopAssassin said:
Starke said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well I wasn't going to see this movie anyway. I refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrel in it.
There's a movie with him as an IRS agent who is simultaneously a doomed character in a novel and has gained the ability to hear the narrator. It's actually, oddly funny, and reflects that he can actually, you know, act.
I don't get peoples notion that he can't act in the first place.

OT: Bob, you're wrong. This movie has Samuel L. Jackson and Will Ferrel in it. People will be quoting this movie for two years... not to mention the "POW" guy from step brothers. I, myself, will be going to see both 'Dinner For Schmucks' and 'The Other Guys'. I'm really tired of seeing all the elitism on the Escapist.

Kruxxor said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
So it basically a SNL skit that is a movie? No real point but to make jokes that can only work once?

I guess you never saw "A Night at the Roxbury"?
This.
baseracer said:
Well, it's funny and random. Good review, except for one thing.

Mark Wahlburg is NOT a good actor. The only movie I like him in it is Shooter. And that was because the action was pretty insane.

I'm sure you already forgot that he was Marky Mark at one time.
I forgot the definition of good acting was whatever you like.

Edit: Double post. Sorry.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I saw this earlier today and it was funny but in no way memorable. I'm surprised The Rocks not in "The Expendables", probably a good thing because that movie is getting some poor reviews.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I'm a bit sad that you didn't review 'Dinner for Shmucks', considering it's original material (which, as any half-decent francophone will tell you, is DOUBLE RAINBOW AWESOME)
plus I could foresee most of the dislike :O

Jiki

Jan 21, 2008
I'd tell you to grow somewhat up, bob, but you'd probably just take that as a compliment.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
So its nowhere near as good as Hot Fuzz?

Thats good cos thats what I saw in the trailer...an American wannabe rip-off of Hot Fuzz (best movie ever in my opinion). Dont get me wrong, ill still see this but im glad that its not a wham bam must-see movie...like Hot Fuzz was!

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Starke said:
I'm still hoping that the Rock gets that actual career he's been spoofing all this time. The man is a remarkably charismatic action star.
Amen.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
How come so many people on the internet don't get that many parts of The Happening were funny because they were supposed to be? The same thing happened with Lost. Campiness can be appreciated for itself. The piece doesn't have to tell you it's being campy and neither do your friends. It's best when it's self evident without any commentary. Viewers take everything way too seriously nowadays. You groan and cringe when a movie does something you don't expect, when you should be smiling.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
This movie has all my favourite actors, and I can't think of reason to NOT to go watch this movie.

Bob, I think you missed the point of this movie. To each his own, I guess.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Extra Credit does deserve praise, thanks for spreading the word Bob!

I've seen trailers for this movie and thought that it seemed pretty dry. I didn't know the Rock was in it though. Huh...

In anycase, that was an epic way to end a video. Batman fighting a Dinosaur.

Awesome!

kalt_13 said:
sucker punch looks cool

German World War weapons and Dragons are always awesome. Now this has caught my interest as well.

cloudcover

Oct 28, 2009
Yeh it was called Stranger than Fiction and it was not only a decent film but he brought a real charismatic and funny edge to his character. I think this film sounds great, I much prefer silly balls out action films to pseudo-intellectual crap like Inception, a film I bet movieBob loved. My friend calls it "hamburger for the brain", a phrase that might sound slightly condescending but is not when used for films that know what they are.

The Big Eye

Truth-seeking Tail-chaser
Aug 19, 2009
Moviebob may have panned it, but wow, I really wanna see that movie now. Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg in a comedy role, Sam Jackson... that's a winning formula in my mind.

And sure, old Ferrell's had a few busts lately, but for the most part he's been pretty damn good. Anybody watch Stranger than Fiction?

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Be thankful it is not one of the "Scary Movie" type parodies although they are overdue in making a cop/procedural drama paroday (the Naked Gun ran it into the ground.)

The Rock is well are of his limitations as an actor. Would like to see Michael Clarke Duncan in more stuff as he didn't do much after the Green Mile, the footage of him hearing he was nominated for an Oscar is still one of my favourite clips ever.

idiot445

Aug 19, 2008
I'm glad I saw this movie before this review. I generally agree with Bob's reviews, but I think he's wrong about this one. A friend and I laughed all the way through this movie, and we walked out trying to figure out which of the lines was the best. I can easily see us quoting it a week from now. I don't regret giving up the price of admission at all.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I just saw this movie, and I thought it was surprisingly funny. Granted it's not an excellent movie but the jokes are hilarious and there are some memorable lines.