Escape to the Movies: The Purge: Anarchy - Original Idea Done Better

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Purge: Anarchy - Original Idea Done Better

The sequel to last year's flop forsakes horror for full-on action and political commentary.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
When I first seen an advert for this film I nearly groaned (especially because The Purge came out in the middle of last year), colour me surprised and a bit interested.

And wow, I wasn't interested in the Power Rangers film, but that almost seems like a gunshot wound to the knee before the film's even got started.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
And now I will go sob in a corner like a little baby because I had legitimate high hopes for the Power Rangers movie. Not only is it headed by a terrible screenwriter but also a legitimate crazy person. T-T

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
During your list of what people would more realistically do during a "Purge" type situation, all that came into my mind was being a nuclear terrorist. Create, distribute, and detonate nuclear explosives across a section of the country. Would create a definite dichotomy in how people would react. "Support the Purge? You support thermonuclear terrorism." "Enforce laws during the Purge? It's no longer the Purge." And add in all the international hate from it, the "New Founding Fathers of America" would be in big shit because of it. :D Of course it wouldn't happen.

But yeah, the annoyingly huge marketing showed me that P:A was definitely going to be better than the original. But still... Practically a commercial for P:A every minute. Was annoying.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
"The sequel to last year's flop forsakes horror for full-on action and political commentary."

The Purge production budget $3 million world wide gross $89 million.

If 30 times your production budget is a flop then every superhero film ever made is a mega flop.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Well, this all of the suddenly looks good to me. I thought it was going to be the same as the first essentially, which was a movie I never wanted to see and hated it when I did finally see it.

Also, Punisher wanna be? Guy's name is frank and he looks identical to the Grim and Gritty era Punisher everyone loved, even has a similar storyline to him pursuing this or that crime boss for revenge. I'm all in on this one.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
Good review, although you really could have trimmed down the "things people would actually do" list. Seriously, after the first five examples you could haves just said "etc, etc" but you just KEPT GOING ON AND ON.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
youji itami said:
"The sequel to last year's flop forsakes horror for full-on action and political commentary."

If 30 times your production budget is a flop then every superhero film ever made is a mega flop.
If I remember right, flop can also just mean failure. Though I, like most people, associate the word with commerical performance.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Evonisia said:
youji itami said:

If I remember right, flop can also just mean failure. Though I, like most people, associate the word with commerical performance.

A film is only a failure if it doesn't make money that's why films that make money even if critically savaged still get sequels.

Flop is associated to box office bomb to the degree it's the first entry for flop on Wikipedia.

Flop is simply the wrong term for the first purge, dull, underwhelming or forgettable would have been far more accurate.

Jan 12, 2012
@ImBigBob: I think the length of the list was a good joke; it showed the spectrum of things that could be done, ranging from stupid to evil.

OT: Sounds good. I do have to wonder if the bad guys bought their body armour during the last Purge when "Selling shoddy merchandise that appears to be made of cardboard for all the good it does" was legal.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
KazeAizen said:
I had legitimate high hopes for the Power Rangers movie.
High Hopes?...seriously? lol

Even as a kid I was very aware of how lame Power Rangers was. I mean, aside from a catchy intro song, the show was just awful. Say what you will about the 80's toy cartoons, at least they had some interesting episodes and non-terrible dialogue from time to time.

I don't even understand how they could possibly make a movie based on it...I mean, what, are they going to have the actors doing bad karate fighting with dudes in silver spandex with plastic weapons? Or are they going to go the 'gritty realistic' route which would be even more laughable.

We should be so lucky that that moron is writing it. Means there's a chance it will flop and we don't have to go through any sequels -_-

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I'm not sure what to expect from the new Power Rangers movie. I owned all the toys as a kid but it's not one of those major geekdom staples I stayed a fan of like how a lot of 80's kids are with Transformers or my gen are with Pokemon. It's not like the original film was deep... just an excuse to reset the team for a series of new toys, although I enjoyed Ivan Ooze.

ron1n said:
KazeAizen said:

Even as a kid I was very aware of how lame Power Rangers was. I mean, aside from a catchy intro song, the show was just awful. Say what you will about the 80's toy cartoons, at least they had some interesting episodes and non-terrible dialogue from time to time.

I don't even understand how they could possibly make a movie based on it...I mean, what, are they going to have the actors doing bad karate fighting with dudes in silver spandex with plastic weapons? Or are they going to go the 'gritty realistic' route which would be even more laughable.

We should be so lucky that that moron is writing it. Means there's a chance it will flop and we don't have to go through any sequels -_-
Someone could make a good film about a disembodied, all knowing, glowing head granting a select group of youngsters interstellar weapons/mechs to fight the mad queen of the moon and her army of monsters... it would proberly be nothing like the show though...

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
I liked Snowpiercer, but I don't get all the love for it. It was predictable, cheesy, cartoonish and it really had no subtlety whatsoever. Look at Tilda Swinton's character in Snowpiercer for subtlety.

It's a cool idea, but other than the feeding kart, the New Year indicator and the school kart, it's pretty much a by the numbers sci-fi B-movie.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
youji itami said:

Hollywood don't do niche son, it's all or nothing!

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I don't understand why Bob gives the first Purge movie so much flak for not being as smart as it could've been. In an earlier review of his I remember him saying something along the lines of "Review the movie you got, not the movie you want".

I didn't think the original was any great shakes, mind you; but for all the problems I had with it "not trying to be more profound" wasn't one of them.

This does seem like a fun enough action-movie though, and I like Frank Grillo as an actor so I'll probably check this out too at some point.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
TheMemoman said:
I liked Snowpiercer, but I don't get all the love for it. It was predictable, cheesy, cartoonish and it really had no subtlety whatsoever. Look at Tilda Swinton's character in Snowpiercer for subtlety.

It's a cool idea, but other than the feeding kart, the New Year indicator and the school kart, it's pretty much a by the numbers sci-fi B-movie.

I love Snowpiercer because it had a quite a lot of black humour and surrealism mixed into it. Most movies these days tend to play their post-apocalyptic worlds straight, grim and gritty, and I really miss the absurdist worlds portrayed in, say, Terry Gilliam's Brazil or Total Recall.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
ron1n said:
KazeAizen said:

Wow just.....wow. Why don't you kill my puppy while you're at it. Yes I had hopes for this movie. After seeing how awesome giant robots and monsters can truly be on screen thanks to Pacific Rim and Godzilla I started getting excited for this movie. You know not all Power Rangers are "bad" in the sense that we think of. Some seasons are legitimately great or even just good despite adhering to a rigid formula. Wild Force, Space, and Dino Thunder are legitimately great seasons of the show. Mighty Morphin had a great story line with the Green Ranger arc.

Another thing. The choreography for the fight scenes wasn't always bad. Heck the direction of them and the actual fights themselves actually rose to pretty impressive levels from time to time. Like the end battle in Forever Red.

I just have little hope now that the movie will be good and it had so much potential to be awesome. Perhaps its time I felt what 80s G1 Transformers fans have felt. This could've been such a great movie, could still be, but I doubt it.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I don't understand why Bob gives the first Purge movie so much flak for not being as smart as it could've been. In an earlier review of his I remember him saying something along the lines of "Review the movie you got, not the movie you want".
I think one of the issues is that "the movie we got" was executed in such a way that we didn't need the "Purge" premise. They could have been a family at a remote cabin in the woods, and it would have amounted to nothing more than another check mark on the "yep! Home invasion movie" list. The movie we got gives us a premise like the purge, and then barely does so much as mention sociological/political questions that an event such as the purge raises.

In other news: let's look past the question of "what kind of america would allow something like the purge," and ask "what kind of world would sit idly by while a nation initiates the purge?" And I'm not simply asking "Why does the United Nations not step in and intervene on the grounds of the rich hunting the poor." I'm asking "Why do nations like north korean lay in wait on the very precipice of the USA's borders, and as soon as the purge is initiated, and all law enforcement suspended, they Beeline it for the country?" Hell, you have a 12 hour window of a guaranteed NO LAW ENFORCEMENT standing in the way of your "occupy USA" movement.