Escape to the Movies: The Purge: Anarchy - Original Idea Done Better

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait: Bob LIKES this one? This one's political message is so bang-you-over-the-head obvious, it's insulting to the audience's intelligence. I thought Bob hated that about the last one. I did like calling Frank "Crossbones from CA: Winter Soldier" Grillo's character The Punisher.
InsanityRequiem said:
During your list of what people would more realistically do during a "Purge" type situation, all that came into my mind was being a nuclear terrorist. Create, distribute, and detonate nuclear explosives across a section of the country. Would create a definite dichotomy in how people would react. "Support the Purge? You support thermonuclear terrorism." "Enforce laws during the Purge? It's no longer the Purge." And add in all the international hate from it, the "New Founding Fathers of America" would be in big shit because of it. :D Of course it wouldn't happen.

But yeah, the annoyingly huge marketing showed me that P:A was definitely going to be better than the original. But still... Practically a commercial for P:A every minute. Was annoying.
A couple of nights ago, my brother & I were watching TV, and there were 3 ads for Purge:Anarchy in the same commercial break. I was like, "Jaysus! We get it! That still won't let me forget that the last one was made of arse!" There comes a point in movie advertising where the more they plug it, the less inclined you are to see it. It becomes "See our movie! See our movie! See our mo-" [BANG!]

RA92 said:
TheMemoman said:
I liked Snowpiercer, but I don't get all the love for it. It was predictable, cheesy, cartoonish and it really had no subtlety whatsoever. Look at Tilda Swinton's character in Snowpiercer for subtlety.

It's a cool idea, but other than the feeding kart, the New Year indicator and the school kart, it's pretty much a by the numbers sci-fi B-movie.

I love Snowpiercer because it had a quite a lot of black humour and surrealism mixed into it. Most movies these days tend to play their post-apocalyptic worlds straight, grim and gritty, and I really miss the absurdist worlds portrayed in, say, Terry Gilliam's Brazil or Total Recall.
I regret to say I never heard of Snowpiercer before now. I, too, miss absurd cartoonish versions of future dystopias. This one mixed absurd with gritty in a way that makes the resulting flavor taste worse than either of its ingredients.
If y'all are wanting absurd cartoonish dystopias, check out The Congress (from the director of Waltz with Bashir). It was my favourite movie of last year.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
WarHamster40K said:
It's good to hear that this movie is working more with the premise of the original. However, a chunk of the laundry list Bob mentioned in the beginning could be explained by a combination of precedence and time. The first Purge had people who weren't sure if it was "really a thing", so they stuck to petty crimes like blatant littering, recreational drug consumption, mass streaking, and other things for the lulz. When the reports of murders/rapes/embezzlements come in and no one gets punished, the next Purge "gets real". Homes gets better security, people get self-defense/firearms training, and the "poseur" Purgers don't want to risk coming across Purging enthusiasts who're trying to fit their crime wishlist in a 12-hour window ("Graffiti? Seriously? Ugh, amateurs." *chainsaw*). With a few more Purges under their belt, people start taking pride in their "civic duty".

On that note, I like the idea of having different Purge films have different themes. Since the movies are relatively inexpensive and can more easily recoup their investments, it could expand into a multimedia franchise. Have a revenge arc for a YouTube series, political thriller for a podcast, quirky post-Purge cleanup crew as a dark comedy, and save the movies for the gritter/complicated setpiece moments (bank heist, suburban riot, gang warfare). Then again, it'd risk being oversaturated, so it'd be a balancing act.
I can just imagine a post-Purge murder mystery movie where a death is at first overlooked because it took place during the twelve hours, but then something seems off and it turns out the murder happened before the Purge hours.

That'd be stupid and amazing at the same time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Well, Bob managed to turn my eye-rolling skepticism into a mild interest in seeing the movie.

youji itami said:
"The sequel to last year's flop forsakes horror for full-on action and political commentary."

The Purge production budget $3 million world wide gross $89 million.

If 30 times your production budget is a flop then every superhero film ever made is a mega flop.
"Flop" has long been redefined as "thing I didn't like." Bob appears to simply be using that definition.

PunkRex said:
I'm not sure what to expect from the new Power Rangers movie.
I, for one, expect a deep character study like the original.

I mean, all I really want is kung fu action, giant monsters, and some sort of shiny spandex.

I mean, I get that it doesn't resonate with you culturally, but Power Rangers can still be a lot of fun.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
youji itami said:
"The sequel to last year's flop forsakes horror for full-on action and political commentary."

The Purge production budget $3 million world wide gross $89 million.

If 30 times your production budget is a flop then every superhero film ever made is a mega flop.
I don't know what it is, but you also have to factor in the marketing budget as well and that's usually grossly higher than the production. like 20 million or something.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
PunkRex said:
I'm not sure what to expect from the new Power Rangers movie.
I, for one, expect a deep character study like the original.

I mean, all I really want is kung fu action, giant monsters, and some sort of shiny spandex.

I mean, I get that it doesn't resonate with you culturally, but Power Rangers can still be a lot of fun.
Why wouldn't it resonate with me culturally exactly?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
tdylan said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I don't understand why Bob gives the first Purge movie so much flak for not being as smart as it could've been. In an earlier review of his I remember him saying something along the lines of "Review the movie you got, not the movie you want".
I think one of the issues is that "the movie we got" was executed in such a way that we didn't need the "Purge" premise. They could have been a family at a remote cabin in the woods, and it would have amounted to nothing more than another check mark on the "yep! Home invasion movie" list. The movie we got gives us a premise like the purge, and then barely does so much as mention sociological/political questions that an event such as the purge raises.

In other news: let's look past the question of "what kind of america would allow something like the purge," and ask "what kind of world would sit idly by while a nation initiates the purge?" And I'm not simply asking "Why does the United Nations not step in and intervene on the grounds of the rich hunting the poor." I'm asking "Why do nations like north korean lay in wait on the very precipice of the USA's borders, and as soon as the purge is initiated, and all law enforcement suspended, they Beeline it for the country?" Hell, you have a 12 hour window of a guaranteed NO LAW ENFORCEMENT standing in the way of your "occupy USA" movement.
I legit want this idea to be Purge 3.

It's just such a fun premise, the introduction of total anarchy.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Moeez said:
If y'all are wanting absurd cartoonish dystopias, check out The Congress (from the director of Waltz with Bashir). It was my favourite movie of last year.

That looks interesting.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know who that guy was that you had next to the picture of the Power Rangers so I don't know what the apology was for.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Soon as bob said the main guy is basically the punisher I was sold. This movie concept is awesome and this sequel sounds a million times better than the original, which is crazy rare for hollywood to pull off.

canadamus_prime said:
I don't know who that guy was that you had next to the picture of the Power Rangers so I don't know what the apology was for.
He was heavily involved in the writing and producing of the Transformers and Star Trek movies.

The ones every sane person hates.

The ones that shit all over the childhoods of those who grew up on those franchises.

This man is now doing a power rangers movie. So he's basically bending over something beloved to gen Y'ers and gonna rape it hard.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Thankfully, I doubt I could afford seeing the Power Rangers film even if I wanted to.

Come to think of it, if I were terribly wronged but left alife during one Purge, I wouldn't just play nice once time's up. I'd attempt revenge, and I'm quite sure plenty of other people would. They'd end up with the Christmas bleed-over, where the Purge just keeps leaking into the surrounding weeks and months.

Django03 said:
The plan is to cement the stranglehold of the rich?

That's a terrible plan, if the purge existed you wouldn't be able to move outside for all the looters busy stealing from those rich people.
That'd be an interesting Purge-plan, for someone working in the security business. Some Romanov or other will hire you to guard them during the Purge night, and you agree to the terms. Then, when the clock strikes twelve, you turn your guns on them and loot their stuff.

Or better yet, the revolutionary group could infiltrate the sec-business with their own, and cause some Richie Rich casualties through the back entrance.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I think your logic circuits are a bit fried on what people would do during the purge Bob. That 12 hr period would run on an extreme variation of the freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from private consequence rule. AKA you can smoke in the bar, and I can shoot you in the head if your second hand smoke annoys me. No one would risk petty things in public unless deeply stupid. Other things like movie piracy, bank fraud, and incest on your list are things people would already be getting away with as these aren't the most heavily investigated and prosecuted crimes in America. AKA in all, yes, the majority of purge crimes would be something you'd get serious police attention for even as an investigation, and done on the weakest around you to avoid retaliation. Describing it as population control and you can see how the purge started: someone seeing a report on a minority getting gunned down trying to rob a place and someone asking why isn't there more of that. So it goes: poor people try to rob to get stuff to improve their lives and get blasted by both people no longer under reasonable force restraints, and armed rich fucks playing spawn camper.

Part of me is really just interested in this for the ethics of things as it sounds like it falls into a Death Note level of conflict: a very extreme portrayal of clearly evil actions, yet they seem to produce the desired result of greater peace overall, leaving the audience to weigh a shitty would built on ethical ideals, against a cleaner world that made some hard choices.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Spot1990 said:
canadamus_prime said:
He was the writer of transformers 2, amazing spider-man 2, star trek into darkness and now power rangers.
Ooooooooooh... Yeah. Sorry Power Rangers fans.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
if you could only download torrents 1 day per year and everyone would start downloading the speeds would drop to so snail of a pce you may as well dont bother. this applies also for many other illegla things that would be stupid idea to do. for example smoking on a plane during a day when flying on a plane would likely lead to somone taking a gun to the pilots is kinda pointless thing. some things like delaing drugs and guns of course likely happen, but the movie is telling a small story, not covering all illegal thing forever.

P.S. did you just praise snowpiercer? iwas on the fnece to watch that, i may go and do it.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
The thing about people just killing people during the purge is that what's the good in you doing your not killing related thing (let's say, public urination) when Mr. Decides-to-try-murder-out-a-bit walks up to you.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I don't understand how people say this is an original or interesting premise. It is basically the Hunger Games for adults. How does no one see that?

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I heard Bob Orci on Mission Log Podcast, he seemed really bitter about how Into Darkness turned out, so maybe that means he's learning from his mistakes?

Doesn't matter to me though, the Power Rangers ship has sailed.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ok, now I'm thinking about going and seeing this.

Annnd it doesn't appear to be showing here. Good job distributors.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Hmmm - I hope this actually makes some money. I'd like to see a series of out this - especially with the rebellion sub-plot. It'd be like a properly dark and gritty hunger game-style rebellion, without all the stupid from those movies, and a lot more squibs