Escape to the Movies: The Purge: Anarchy - Original Idea Done Better

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Heheh. "Sorry, Generation Y"? Son, I don't care about the friggin' Power Rangers. That's the kind of lame stuff like TMNT or G.I. Joe that still has its feet half-stuck in the territory of you '80s kids and I don't give a damn about what happens to it.

Call me back when - say - Uwe Boll gets his hands on a Cartoon Cartoon or ReBoot, and I might be actually worried.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
PunkRex said:
Why wouldn't it resonate with me culturally exactly?
Because you said it didn't? Seems like a pretty good reason.
Oooooh, when I mentioned geek culture, I thought you mean't like race or geological location.

My bad, sorry.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PunkRex said:
Oooooh, when I mentioned geek culture, I thought you mean't like race or geological location.

My bad, sorry.
Oh, I see where the issue came from.

Well, glad we got that cleared up. I was confused as to where the sticking point was. Yeah, I didn't mean like race, ethnicity or geology.

...I feel like we did the internet wrong by coming to an understanding. <.<

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
PunkRex said:

My bad, sorry.
Oh, I see where the issue came from.

Well, glad we got that cleared up. I was confused as to where the sticking point was. Yeah, I didn't mean like race, ethnicity or geology.

...I feel like we did the internet wrong by coming to an understanding. <.<
SHADDUP NERD!

Is that better?

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
VinLAURiA said:
Heheh. "Sorry, Generation Y"? Son, I don't care about the friggin' Power Rangers. That's the kind of lame stuff like TMNT or G.I. Joe that still has its feet half-stuck in the territory of you '80s kids and I don't give a damn about what happens to it.

Call me back when - say - Uwe Boll gets his hands on a Cartoon Cartoon or ReBoot, and I might be actually worried.
Oh my God I would pay so much money for a Reboot movie or a new Reboot series! Its definitely time to reboot Reboot (couldn't help myself, sorry!)

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
But 90% of the crimes listed don't happen on a single day. People wouldn't thought on an entire drugs operation if they are only open for business one day of the year.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
I'm seriously wondering how the f*** any city remains standing after the Purge. I mean, you give people 12 hours to work without interruption, and I can damn near guarantee that Fight Club are gonna take the opportunity to bomb every business building in Manhattan.

And while we're on the subject; what do the cops do if you commit a crime with longterm consequences. Let's say we're in California, and when the Purge gets started, I start a fire in the Hollywood Hills. What happens if that fire grows out of control (as intended), and twelve hours later the fire's eating its way down the slopes towards the city.

What happens if the crime I commited is still causing damage and harvesting lives after the Purge has ended? Can I still be punished for that?

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Mangod said:
I'm seriously wondering how the f*** any city remains standing after the Purge. I mean, you give people 12 hours to work without interruption, and I can damn near guarantee that Fight Club are gonna take the opportunity to bomb every business building in Manhattan.

And while we're on the subject; what do the cops do if you commit a crime with longterm consequences. Let's say we're in California, and when the Purge gets started, I start a fire in the Hollywood Hills. What happens if that fire grows out of control (as intended), and twelve hours later the fire's eating its way down the slopes towards the city.

What happens if the crime I commited is still causing damage and harvesting lives after the Purge has ended? Can I still be punished for that?
Hell, your home can have all the security you want. Take rocket launchers and blast away at it and I can guarantee your home security won't last that long. But see, this is just proof that the people who come up with this stuff DO NOT think it through. There are way more poor people than rich people, and if the poor decide to rise up, and they have guns and rocket launchers and mortars just like you do, eventually the rich will fall through attrition, the "New Founding Fathers" included.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Seriously, in this world I'd go out into the middle of nowhere and speed along the roads all night. I'd pick up a pistol just in case, but I'm pretty sure there would be more people street racing than murdering people indiscriminately.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
hermes200 said:
But 90% of the crimes listed don't happen on a single day. People wouldn't thought on an entire drugs operation if they are only open for business one day of the year.
You probably plan to move a shit load of drugs across borders into the USA during the time when the border patrol guards are legally unable to do a damn thing to stop you. Except, you know, shoot you while you're on the USA side of the border without restraint for the hell of it.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
tdylan said:
hermes200 said:
You probably plan to move a shit load of drugs across borders into the USA during the time when the border patrol guards are legally unable to do a damn thing to stop you. Except, you know, shoot you while you're on the USA side of the border without restraint for the hell of it.
Murder is legal = organized criminals tracking down and eliminating as many cops as possible to ease their criminal enterprises during the rest of the year. That's another thing that I just thought of.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
wouldn't Mind a Power Ranges into Darkness or a Amazing Power Rangers 2, but Powerformers 2....No, just no D:

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Anyone else noticing the pattern about rich vs poor movies having ridiculous settings that defy logic? Like the purge somehow solving all crime for an entire year, or Elysium with an ending where simply hacking a piece of code somehow solves all the world's problems

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Color me surprised. While the last one was a brainless slasher with a stupid premise, it sounds like the sequel somehow managed to turn that on its head into a decent action movie with some reasonably intelligent political commentary. Granted, it's still a tad ridiculous how over-the-top it is, but hey, Hollywood rarely knows how to do anything but go larger-than-life.

Only trouble is, nobody's going to watch it, because the first one sucked. They would have been better off distancing themselves as far from this whole, "The Purge" buzz word as possible.

SNCommand said:
Anyone else noticing the pattern about rich vs poor movies having ridiculous settings that defy logic?
It's probably because American wealth disparity [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_inequality_in_the_United_States] is bad enough right now that it's relevant to the average movie goers interests.

The Purge is a tad over-the-top in that it asserts that the upper crust are so twisted by their own money and power that they regard the rest of America as playthings to exploit simply because they're so depraved that they have to go that far to... I don't know, become more depraved? Seems like a pretty maladaptive activity any way you look at it. Oh, and "population control," because those bothersome low-income people who voted in favor of empowering you and buy your products to make you richer are so problematic they need to be culled. I'm pretty sure real life examples of such a morally bankrupt moron are rare in any wealth bracket. (I wish I could say nobody could be that demented, but hey, it's a big world, and I'm on the Internet.)

From the sounds of things, this movie also turns a mirror on the low-income twits who would allow lip service to patriotism to empower those kinds of people. This kind of person is more common in real life, but I hesitate to say that even they would be so foolish as to vote in favor of "The Purge" on account of how it's sort of hard for anyone to swallow that mass murder on the streets is patriotic. I think the first couple of times you'd have to hose the entrails of your fellow American off the daily commute, it would evoke enough outrage that you'd be up in arms.

It's probably a fair assertion that if The Purge were real, people would be emigrating to Mexico instead of the other way around.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Shit, I'm hearing quite positive things over at Grantland, too!

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/blockbuster-talk-the-purge-anarchy-bodes-well-for-the-next-812985-purge-movies/

Verhoeven-like satire makes me tingle.

GamerFromJump

Sep 28, 2009
Django03 said:
The plan is to cement the stranglehold of the rich?

That's a terrible plan, if the purge existed you wouldn't be able to move outside for all the looters busy stealing from those rich people.
Just remember, it's not the thoughts or actions of actual rich people, it's the thoughts and actions of rich people as Hollywood sees them* -- utterly evil, completely devoid of human feelings or compassion, seeking to kill off the poor, when not looking for some way to grab the last little bit of wealth nobody has because they already took all the finite wealth** in the world.

* You know, other than the Hollywood ultra-rich, whose practices in screwing people out of their due would make Bernie Madoff blush.

** Bullshit concept that won't die!

Jan 27, 2011
Waitwaitwati hold on.

So the guy doing the power rangers reboot is the screen writer for transformers 2, amazing spiderman 2 and start trek into darkness?

...Bah. I'm out.