Escape to the Movies: The Raid 2 - Brutally Intense, Action-Filled, And Very Good

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
Oh man that hammer shit looks brutal. Up close and personal fighting with improvised weapons and/or blades always makes me wince. Kind of a pussy like that.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Hah ... when you think about it, using two clawhammers as weapons makes much sense. After all, it's a short version of one of the most deadly weapons of medieval europe, the "Rabenschnabel".

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I haven't watched Bob's review yet because I don't want to spoil myself on any of the action-scenes. That said, I loved the first one and am looking forward to seeing this as soon as I can.

Apr 11, 2014
Having not seen the raid, and having only seen this review and the embedded trailer therein for its sequel:

- by Jove, the foley on that baseball bat is horrible. Sounds like he was hitting another piece of metal.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Are there any martial artists in this forum?

I ask because of the last scene of this video (in the restaurant kitchen).
The older guy on the right has his feet in the right distance from each other. His weight is two thirds on his left (the leg that is back) leg so he can fast change the weight distribution to be able to kick with the right (front) leg, or make a step back if needed.

But the younger guy on the left? He has his legs spreaded so much it would need much longer to distribute the weight, he basically handicaped his movement. He even spread his legs so far that i claim he does not stand as firm as he would if he put his legs about one and a half feet together.
Am i the only one who thinks so, or is there a deeper meaning behind this?

Edit:
Are these both left handers? Normally it's right handers right hand and right leg back, ready for kick/punch.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I got to see The Raid on DVD only because my local theaters rarely show foreign movies. Unless that changes soon or I'm able to go out of town to a theater that is playing The Raid 2, it looks like I'll be waiting for the sequel to hit DVD. -_-

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'd absolutely go see it if there was a theatre in my city that was playing it. Oh well, maybe in a week or two.

The first one was very enjoyable if not to the level of some martial arts movies, but it's so rare to see this sort of movie in the theatre these days that I have to see them almost on principle.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I can't handle broken bones in movies.

I tried watching The Raid and couldn't get through it.
I can handle just about any amount of gore/violence in movies but broken bones get to me.

I want to watch The Raid 2...but I'm 99% sure it's not a movie for me.

LegendofHugh

Jul 18, 2009
I won tickets to an advance screening of this and boy was it brutal. There is a LOT of blood and broken limbs in this. Bob didn't mention it but to break up the martial arts, there's a hell of a car chase two thirds of the way through as well.

Oh, and if you thought Hammer Girl and Baseball Dude were awesome... they're a tag-team.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I disagree that it may be the greatest action movie this year, to me it's the greatest action movie EVER! None of the movies that came before it have ever done fight scene to this caliber (not even the matrix) and weather or not future movies will beat it is yet to be seen.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
the Raid was just pure awesome, if this has any of that same spark this will be quite amazing, can't wait to see this. had no idea there even was going to be a sequel!

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
babinro said:

I can handle just about any amount of gore/violence in movies but broken bones get to me.

Oh man.... you should steer clear of The Protector then. There's one scene near the end where Tony Jaa takes on a room full of like 50 dudes and breaks at least a couple of bones of EVERY SINGLE ONE of them.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
XMark said:
babinro said:

Oh man.... you should steer clear of The Protector then. There's one scene near the end where Tony Jaa takes on a room full of like 50 dudes and breaks at least a couple of bones of EVERY SINGLE ONE of them.
And a scene where Tony Jaa fights using some broken bones.

Brennan

Mar 21, 2014
geier said:
Are there any martial artists in this forum?

I ask because of the last scene of this video (in the restaurant kitchen).
The older guy on the right has his feet in the right distance from each other. His weight is two thirds on his left (the leg that is back) leg so he can fast change the weight distribution to be able to kick with the right (front) leg, or make a step back if needed.

But the younger guy on the left? He has his legs spreaded so much it would need much longer to distribute the weight, he basically handicaped his movement. He even spread his legs so far that i claim he does not stand as firm as he would if he put his legs about one and a half feet together.
Am i the only one who thinks so, or is there a deeper meaning behind this?

Edit:
Are these both left handers? Normally it's right handers right hand and right leg back, ready for kick/punch.
(Raises hand) I used to study kung fu (choi li fut and Yang-style tai chi).

The be fair, you can't see the guy on the left's rear leg, so we're not getting a complete picture of his stance. He does appear to be leaning too far forward with his upper body though, in a way which in tai chi sparring would beg an unbalancing twist, pull, or shove.

At first I thought his foot position was also bad in a way that invites a sweep or stomp to the outside of the knee, but on closer examination, I don't think that's the case. I though it looked like a really sloppy horse stance instead of a 45 degree stance, but looking closer, it's a 45 degree stance; he's not as side-on to the camera as the guy on the right, but in 2D with his hip and back leg hidden, it just looks like he is.

technically they're both crouching close to practice depth instead of how one would use the stance in a real fight though (thought that is kinda SOP for kung fu movies anyway), so I'm not expecting the other aspects of their form to be exact. It's still lightyears better than wu-shu, or half the time when non martial artist or non dancer actors take crash courses for movie roles (Angelina Jolie, I'm looking at you).

In regards to the right/left handed thing, my training never recognized right or left handed bias. We were taught that you used whatever side happened to be facing the opponent when you had to react, so everything was drilled on both sides.