Escape to the Movies: The Raid

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Kaulen Fuhs said:
Sounds like Bob ruffled some feathers with his American Pie comments. Little close to home for some of you?
If you truly believe that, you either failed to read and/or understand the arguments against Bob's comments, or you're terribly obtuse.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
1: I actually enjoyed American Pie way back when. (yes, in no small part due to Shanon Elizabeth)
2: I am probably older than Movie Bob :(
3: I quickly lost my taste for American Pie and couldn't give a rat's ass about Reunion. (so I'm happy he chose to skip it)
4: The Raid looks sick.
5: I'm also really looking forward to Ted. But then again I am pretty fond of what Seth MacFarlane does in general.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
tdylan said:
OZITOMAI said:
i agree with you moviebob, i actually quite hated american pie, its just crap to me and i am quite interested in the raid, thanks for a good review
How many times has Bob reviewed other movies without feeling compelled to explain why he reviewed it, and not a different movie that released the same weekend? Several. Yes, AP is a mainstream movie that many would expect him to review, but on a site such as the escapist, I don't think that Bob's regular audience would have held it against him that he chose to review Raid instead of AP. I think many of us would have inferred "The Raid seems much more Bob's bag."

I enjoyed the original AP. The only character that was a douche was Stiffler. Everyone else either reminded me of myself (Jim, Finch, and Kevin, each on their own way), or guys I knew (Chris Klein) that were the jock/athlete, yet managed to not be an abrasive douche. I envied Chris Klein's character because he had a great physique, and in my mind must have been "getting all kinds of action." I didn't hate the guy. My nerdy self wanted to BE Chris Klein. I wanted to look like Chris Klein, and be good at sports like Chris Klein. But you know what I didn't do? I didn't let me envy drive me to hate/loathe/despise Chris Klein's character.

Everything that I know about Bob, I know from his videos and here's what I've gathered:

- In the Sherlock Holmes review Bobs said that Holmes is a man that loves proving how much smarter he is than everyone, so as you might have guess, Bob "loves him some Sherlock Holmes"

- In the Scream 4 review Bob, quite bitterly, states that he used to be the guy that was "cool and interesting" because he knew all of the movie tropes: "he knew movies crazy good. Name a movie, he'd seen it. Have a trivia question, he'd answer it. He was "the movie guy." Sure, it wasn't much a talent. It was something. It was his. But then one day there came a horrible decade called "the 90s." And in the 6th year of the horrible decade, something happened that would change this boy's life forever. Thanks to scream, every jackass with a VCR learned how to talk about cliche, genre formula, and other stuff only movie geeks used to care about. And that little boy from earlier, he could no longer use, or even admit to possessing what used to be "his special skill" without having to hear the cringe inducing response: "kid! you sound just like that guy what was in scream, yo!" But hey, it's not like I've got an ax to grind or anything."

In the 90s, Scream was released, and Bob's single, unique talent was **** on by it. People began associating him and his intellect with Jamie kennedy's character from the movie. After that, Bob's talents were no longer deemed "unique" in his mind. He became less of a "mystic sorcerer," and more of "party trick."

- In "Jennifer's Body" he admits that film geeks only like to crap all over marginally talented, hot actresses like Megan Fox because they're using them as proxy punching bags for all the girls that wouldn't sleep with them in high school, but so???

- In Chronicle he says "Part of me wants to give it some grief for going the "bullied kid goes nutzoid" route...but was I rooting for the "villain" when it came down to it? Do you have to ask?"

From this I gather that Bob not only thinks he's smarter than most, but he enjoys showing (off?) his intelligence (Sherlock Holmes). He had found his niche, enjoyed showing it (off?) by telling people about the nuances of movies, answering their trivia questions etc (Scream). Then Scream was released and ruined his special ability. Now he hates everything about the decade (1990s) that gave us the movie that made people fail to realize how much smarter than them he is. He continues to hold a grudge against the pretty girls that wouldn't give him the time of day (Jennifer's body).

With his intellect I would think that Bob would put reason, logic, equality, fairness, and justice above anger, angst, jealously, hatred and petty revenge, but I really don't think that given the opportunity, he would (Chronicle). I believe that he wanted to give the movie Chronicle grief for going the "bullied kid goes nuts" route but he didn't, because he himself dreams of being able to go nuts on the audience that he feels films like AP are aimed toward.

When I watched the original AP I thought "man! I wish I had a bunch of friends that I could share such an adventure with." I tried to have that kind of relationship with my friends and they called me out on "watching too much American Pie." I was awkward like Jim, hopelessly romantic like Kevin, and tried to act aristocratic like Finch. AP was one of the funniest movies that I saw at the time. But I was in my late teens.

Bob, I read a quote that I try to reflect on whenever possible:

"We are products of our past. But we don't have to be prisoners of it."
Excellent post. I got a warning for calling Bob pathetic, you should get a job at the Escapist for detailing why I am right.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Awesome, I'm sure in a few weeks it'll be on Netflix but "The Raid" might be a movie I need to see in the theater, like, Right now!

On the topic of AP: During that first minute in the AP Rant I kinda fell like that guy that is being yelled at about a topic and I'm wided eyed going 0.0 "Ok damn, I get it, you don't like it... jeez"

I mean tbh, I liked the AP movies when they came out because they were aimed at my demographic back then since I was still in high school and I remember a few friends I going to see it and thinking it was AWESOME. Now I am older I have no desire to see the new movies or re-watch them, better things I rather watch.

*shrugs* I guess I needed to have the whole "High School Sucks" 4 years to understand the rant and rage but IDK, I'm just sayin'

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Yes, we get it Bob! High school must have sucked for you for one reason or another. I'm glad that the Escapist pays you to pad out a review so you can say how much you hate American Pie just because it involves high school. Why is this guy still around?

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
tdylan said:
OZITOMAI said:
i agree with you moviebob, i actually quite hated american pie, its just crap to me and i am quite interested in the raid, thanks for a good review
How many times has Bob reviewed other movies without feeling compelled to explain why he reviewed it, and not a different movie that released the same weekend? Several. Yes, AP is a mainstream movie that many would expect him to review, but on a site such as the escapist, I don't think that Bob's regular audience would have held it against him that he chose to review Raid instead of AP. I think many of us would have inferred "The Raid seems much more Bob's bag."

I enjoyed the original AP. The only character that was a douche was Stiffler. Everyone else either reminded me of myself (Jim, Finch, and Kevin, each on their own way), or guys I knew (Chris Klein) that were the jock/athlete, yet managed to not be an abrasive douche. I envied Chris Klein's character because he had a great physique, and in my mind must have been "getting all kinds of action." I didn't hate the guy. My nerdy self wanted to BE Chris Klein. I wanted to look like Chris Klein, and be good at sports like Chris Klein. But you know what I didn't do? I didn't let me envy drive me to hate/loathe/despise Chris Klein's character.

Everything that I know about Bob, I know from his videos and here's what I've gathered:

- In the Sherlock Holmes review Bobs said that Holmes is a man that loves proving how much smarter he is than everyone, so as you might have guess, Bob "loves him some Sherlock Holmes"

- In the Scream 4 review Bob, quite bitterly, states that he used to be the guy that was "cool and interesting" because he knew all of the movie tropes: "he knew movies crazy good. Name a movie, he'd seen it. Have a trivia question, he'd answer it. He was "the movie guy." Sure, it wasn't much a talent. It was something. It was his. But then one day there came a horrible decade called "the 90s." And in the 6th year of the horrible decade, something happened that would change this boy's life forever. Thanks to scream, every jackass with a VCR learned how to talk about cliche, genre formula, and other stuff only movie geeks used to care about. And that little boy from earlier, he could no longer use, or even admit to possessing what used to be "his special skill" without having to hear the cringe inducing response: "kid! you sound just like that guy what was in scream, yo!" But hey, it's not like I've got an ax to grind or anything."

In the 90s, Scream was released, and Bob's single, unique talent was **** on by it. People began associating him and his intellect with Jamie kennedy's character from the movie. After that, Bob's talents were no longer deemed "unique" in his mind. He became less of a "mystic sorcerer," and more of "party trick."

- In "Jennifer's Body" he admits that film geeks only like to crap all over marginally talented, hot actresses like Megan Fox because they're using them as proxy punching bags for all the girls that wouldn't sleep with them in high school, but so???

- In Chronicle he says "Part of me wants to give it some grief for going the "bullied kid goes nutzoid" route...but was I rooting for the "villain" when it came down to it? Do you have to ask?"

From this I gather that Bob not only thinks he's smarter than most, but he enjoys showing (off?) his intelligence (Sherlock Holmes). He had found his niche, enjoyed showing it (off?) by telling people about the nuances of movies, answering their trivia questions etc (Scream). Then Scream was released and ruined his special ability. Now he hates everything about the decade (1990s) that gave us the movie that made people fail to realize how much smarter than them he is. He continues to hold a grudge against the pretty girls that wouldn't give him the time of day (Jennifer's body).

With his intellect I would think that Bob would put reason, logic, equality, fairness, and justice above anger, angst, jealously, hatred and petty revenge, but I really don't think that given the opportunity, he would (Chronicle). I believe that he wanted to give the movie Chronicle grief for going the "bullied kid goes nuts" route but he didn't, because he himself dreams of being able to go nuts on the audience that he feels films like AP are aimed toward.

When I watched the original AP I thought "man! I wish I had a bunch of friends that I could share such an adventure with." I tried to have that kind of relationship with my friends and they called me out on "watching too much American Pie." I was awkward like Jim, hopelessly romantic like Kevin, and tried to act aristocratic like Finch. AP was one of the funniest movies that I saw at the time. But I was in my late teens.

Pretty much this. Let's not forget the man's mean spirited tirades against people while questioning theit intelligence over matters of taste (Transformers, The Expendables) and claiming that they are threats to society. Then there's the tirades against people who didn't like Other M and and the Mass Effect endings and how they are holding the industry back ten years.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
tdylan said:
OZITOMAI said:

So damn true.
If any guy hates American Pie then I do question where they were placed socially during high school and what bitter results have come of this.
Also, I do question anyones critique ability if they praise Sucker Punch yet obsessively hate AP.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
The Cool Kid said:
Fox242 said:
tdylan said:
OZITOMAI said:

Pretty much this. Let's not forget the man's mean spirited tirades against people while questioning theit intelligence over matters of taste (Transformers, The Expendables) and claiming that they are threats to society. Then there's the tirades against people who didn't like Other M and and the Mass Effect endings and how they are holding the industry back ten years.
I forgot about his dislike for The Expendables, claiming anyone who likes it is a bad human-being. The Expendables is nothing but a testosterone fuelled hark back to the 80's at the expense of a few old men, and yet ironically Bob likes Sucker Punch, which is nothing more then a completely sexist nerd wet-dream. A critic free from bias? Sadly not always.
Let's not forget the time that he claimed that people who like movies like The Expendables or Transformers are full on threats to society and shouldn't be trusted with voting or driving cars.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
The Raid does look pretty awesome. I'm a huge fan of martial arts and I've heard nothing but good things about this. Going to check it out soon with friends. Also, I quite like the American Pie movies...I only started seeing them two-three years ago and I enjoyed them. Still...apprehensive about the new one. Thank god we haven't had ANY advertisement in my tv-less uni accommodation hell-hole.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Kaulen Fuhs said:
The Cool Kid said:
Kaulen Fuhs said:
The Cool Kid said:
Kaulen Fuhs said:
tdylan said:
Kaulen Fuhs said:
Sounds like Bob ruffled some feathers with his American Pie comments. Little close to home for some of you?
If you truly believe that, you either failed to read and/or understand the arguments against Bob's comments, or you're terribly obtuse.
Or, I believe most of them to be disingenuous.
Explain why if you want to be throwing accusations around. Considering the detailed length that some people have gone into, I would like to see what flaws you point out.
Disingenuous. As in, not sincere. Not necessarily flawed, but I wonder how many people are just offended because he stepped on some toes, and don't want to be called out for liking a shitty series of movies, so they invent a list of grievances to express their anger.
But to be insincere would insinuate flaw due to the accusations not being held by the poster as true aka a fancy way of calling someone a troll.
By saying the posters are insincere, you have to state how they are wrong in what they have stated. You further follow the notion of the posters being wrong by saying they enjoy "a shitty series of movies" and therefore they have "invented" the accusations.

If they have invented the accusations, point out where they are wrong, or how the logic of the posters are wrong, otherwise it is merely you who is stepping on toes by throwing around baseless claims.
Not sure what part of this you're struggling with...

For the record, most of these people are factually correct. Also for the record, I have no proof of their motives.

I just think many of them are reacting out of some misplaced sense of indignation, and not because they really think Bob should stop doing this in their show. If he took time to complain about, say, Fox News in each of his segments, how many people would complain then? My guess is not many.
Then perhaps you should have said that in the first place. And whether or not people would complain about Bob complaining about something else on a regular basis is irrelevant. The point that most people made when commenting had very little to do with his vitriol for a particular set of movies. The primary focus was the pathetic nature of his angst ridden comments about high school and the implication that, if high school didn't suck for you, then you clearly are one of "them" and thus can't possibly appreciate why I hate all things that aren't up to my nerd standards.

People watch because when he actually does what he is supposed to be doing, he is a fairly competent reviewer of movies, giving the gist of what you will see without spoiling it for them. They watch because this is the site they have chosen to come to for some of their game/movie information.

Bob can and does say whatever he wants, and people don't have to watch, however, this works both ways and both Bob and the "people" running the Escapist benefit from the traffic. THEY put up comments section, so if they don't like the criticism, THEIR solution is quite simple. Stop showing the videos or remove the comments section altogether.