Escape to the Movies: The Rite

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sorry, Bob.

I'm obligated to see anything with Hopkins in it.

He's such a fucking good actor...

His best movie, imo.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I didn't even know this movie existed until today.

And as soon as I saw the advert, my first thought was "MovieBob's gonna review it, and it probably sucks."

Either this stuff's becoming laughably predictable, or I'm finally developing psychic powers.

Anyway, good review as per usual for Escape to the Movies, continuing to make amateur critics/reviewers (i.e. Yours Truly) awestruck, inspired and jealous all at the same time.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I hadn't even heard about this until your review. At least I know it was for good reason.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I heard this was a movie that would be "wait until DVD release". This may make you upset Bob, but that kid doesn't look bad in the spider suit.

Oh and do you think Chris Evans will make a good Cap? I've heard a lot of people doubt his acting ability. He has been type cast into being a sarcastic guy, so people don't think he can play a more serious role.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
Not a fan of horror movies in general, and really not exorcist ones.

However a satanic donkey? That I can do.

Bring on The Exorcism of Shrek

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
Satanic donkey? Why does the image of the talking demonic goat from Drag me to Hell pop in my mind... Weird.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I hate exorcism movies. The more time passes, the less I like The Exorcist too.

I'm sure my innate skepticism is partly at work here, but even if I roll with it and accept the supernatural premise of these films, I still end up picking things apart. The demons in these movies almost always possess white, middle or working class young girls, and proceeds to confine them to bed with vulgar cursing and inappropriate sexualization.

So the Devil's grand scheme in these films is to take people who in the larger picture are effectively powerless, and put them in a situation where they become even more powerless? What in literal Hell does that accomplish? At least in the Omen movies the Satanists were doing their damnedest to make sure the Anti-Christ got as politically powerful as possible.

Pass.

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
I actually generally argue in favor of Exorcist 3 being the best devil panic movie. But people seem pretty divided on it. In my opinion the George C Scott/Ed Flanders relationship is one of the more interesting put on film. And I love Brad Dourif in it. Admittedly the dream sequence with a brief cameo by Fabio as an angel is hard to take, but I feel like it's aged better than the original.

I'm still hoping for a Rifftrax of Exorcist 2. I've never seen a movie more obviously inspired by cocaine.

In terms of the skeptic/believer combo cliche, it's one of the reasons that I gave a reasonably positive review to 'The Last Exorcism' since it starts with a young priest who has believably lost his faith, and is faking an exorcism one last time to help a family.

Also:

I liked it because the end doesn't really prove there was anything supernatural going on. There may have been, but it's also possible it was just a town full of crazy people.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Actually, while I will agree that Exorcism movies are shit, usually for the reasons others here have mentioned, the subject is fascinating and not really "just one guy shouting prayers at another guy."

For instance, did you know that there are Islamic, Hindu, and Buddhist versions of exorcism?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
It's pronounced Ciaran (Key-rawn) Hinds. (unless he's changed how it's normally pronounced)

Usual great review though, thanks again!

SimGrave

Jan 7, 2010
I don't agree about the Exorcist of Emily Rose being the latest worst movie of the kind.
While being bad indeed... The Unborn tops that. The exorcism scene is absolutly goofy and a waste of talent (Oldman and Elba).
But I get the point that Bob was only picking it up as an exemple.

Awesome comparisons using Mulder/Scully and Agent K/Agent J.
Mainstream horror movies are having an hard time reinvinting themselves and it's a really sad era for horror fans.
Their lack of originality is so insulting.
For exemple whenever I see a movie using mirrors for a scare, I'm like "OMG, I can't believe their still doing that".
You know, the scene where someone sees something in the mirror and then turn to see if it's behind them and it's not.
Also I can't believe we are still making movies about people lost in the woods and getting killed one by one.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
When I saw the trailer to this, at first I thought it was a remake of the original Exorcist because it look so by the numbers of its kind... and despite everything that's been said about by Bob, at least it wasn't a remake.

As for the satanic donkey, Drag Me To Hell already beat it to the punch with their goat, and that film had some humor with it.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
Great review as ever ,and are they REALLY making a another spiderman movie?Why can't they just leave it be.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, interesting.

Honestly I suspect there is a lot of bias in this review due to the Christian aspects. I say this largely because of Bob's (much) earlier review of "Drag Me To Hell" which covered a lot of the same basic material, it simply revolved around a Gypsy curse, and a more generally occult version of trying to dispel the demon, rather than a more religious approach to the entire thing.

Not my horror sub-genere of choice either to be honest, but since he was ranting about the entire genere I think it's a bit odd that his impression seems to change so radically in his opinion when the trappings themselves are changed.