Escape to the Movies: The Rite

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sorry, Bob.

I'm obligated to see anything with Hopkins in it.

He's such a fucking good actor...
I'm obliged to agree with you. Normally I'd steer far clear of an exorcism movie, but how can you pass up on the chance to see Anthony Hopkins as a demon possessed maniac???

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
TheEnglishman said:
Well then, that's what we need: A Religious-Horror movie which ends with the skeptic being right.
No way that would show in America. It'd probably be popular in Europe though.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
solidstatemind said:
Actually, while I will agree that Exorcism movies are shit, usually for the reasons others here have mentioned, the subject is fascinating and not really "just one guy shouting prayers at another guy."

For instance, did you know that there are Islamic, Hindu, and Buddhist versions of exorcism?
Okay, I have to ask, how the heck do you have a Buddhist exorcism when Buddhism is pretty much based on the idea that there are no supernatural forces, and that everything derives from oneself.

As I loosely understand things the basic idea of Buddhism is to pretty much become your own god and work towards ascension. If you die without getting into that state you pretty much wind up in Limbo waiting for a divine power to come along to rescue or punish you, when one pretty much never will because they don't exist. Only through the correct realizations and understandings can you basically free yourself by becoming your own god. Buddha himself being a guy who ascended and returned to earth to teach other people the past.

I'm no expert, and could have that wrong, but by Buddhist standards what do they exorcise from people is there is nothing out there that can possess people?

Islam is from the same family of religions as Judism, and Christianity and shares a lot of the same central beliefs so that makes sense. Hinduism has an entire pantheon of gods and assorted servants so, again that makes a degree of sense, however Buddhism is more of a philosophy than anything, even if it includes mystical elements.

Aug 4, 2010
I knew despite my liking for Hopkins I would never see this movie when I saw a trailer that billed this movie as "inspired by true events", lulz.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Does the devil really have nothing more important to do? How about making a movie version of Lucifer? It's written like a Hollywood movie already anyway :p

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
MovieBob said:
The Rite

This week, Bob exorcises some cinematic demons.

Watch Video
Your are definitely right about that faith part Bob. I shouldn't get offended by someone else mocking my beliefs or even just taking them lightly. An underpinning rule of faith is that it's personal for each individual.

Kinda like the 3 little pigs story. If someone build their faith on "Magic Tricks"(straw) then they are sort of asking to have it knocked over by a casual breeze or a passing heckler(wolf).

ahpuch

Mar 19, 2009
Nice review Bob. I was hoping this could be good with the cast that they have.

I should add that I'm pretty certain Elijah Wood was not born today. Unless you know something about time travel of which I am unaware :).

lastoflancas

Aug 17, 2009
This is exactly why I always stick to good old Asian horror films, if I ever want to get my horror movie fix. No, not remakes. Remakes tend to remove actual tension and thrill out of the original.

Still, love to see Hopkins playing something else other than brain-eating maniac.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
TheEnglishman said:
Well than, that's what we need: A Religious-Horror movie which ends with the sceptic being right.
Or where the demon isn't actually a bad guy and is actually an intergalactic cyber-dragon on a quest to save his home-planet from invading robot-army, and can only survive in our atmosphere by leeching onto consciousness of little girls. It would make it a lot more interesting, if the question wouldn't be just "is s/he really possessed?", but also on the motives of the thing possesing. (One can find similar things in scifi, at least)

I really dislike exorcism-movies, mainly because I find the practise in real life disgusting, especially when performed on mentally unstable people, so I find glorifying the practise distasteful.

solidstatemind said:
For instance, did you know that there are Islamic, Hindu, and Buddhist versions of exorcism?
The idea of evil spirits (or even impersonal evil energy) affecting people is quite common, and pretty much every culture, especially those without modern medicine, have their rituals for dealing with them. Blaming evil invisible creatures for diseases is usual, and if you don't have a good idea of how the human body works, it's something that easy to understand.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I still threw this onto my netflix queue just for the hell of it. You didn't mention "The Last Exorcism", that one was pretty good except the ending ruined it.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah...
Thanks for the heads up Bob...
But sadly...
I agreed to review this for my university's newspaper...
So I'm stuck with it.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Isn't the fact that the movie is a PG-13 thriller already an indication of it sucking on toast?

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sorry, Bob.

I'm obligated to see anything with Hopkins in it.

He's such a fucking good actor...

His best movie, imo.
I'm much obliged to agree with tis. Hopkins -is- a god afterall. ;;D
Sons of Odin anyone?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Ugh, I'm going to see it, and I'm going to dislike it. Not hate, but dislike it in the same way I dislike all average films. I hate January...
Onyx Oblivion said:
His best movie, imo.
Or as I like to call it, Hannibal Lector Lite. Kinda like how Disturbia is Rear Window Lite. Still a good movie, though.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
I'm more interested in watching that "Slave Girls of Morgana Le Fey" movie tbh