Escape to the Movies: The Rite

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Therumancer said:
solidstatemind said:
Actually, while I will agree that Exorcism movies are shit, usually for the reasons others here have mentioned, the subject is fascinating and not really "just one guy shouting prayers at another guy."

For instance, did you know that there are Islamic, Hindu, and Buddhist versions of exorcism?
Okay, I have to ask, how the heck do you have a Buddhist exorcism when Buddhism is pretty much based on the idea that there are no supernatural forces, and that everything derives from oneself.

As I loosely understand things the basic idea of Buddhism is to pretty much become your own god and work towards ascension. If you die without getting into that state you pretty much wind up in Limbo waiting for a divine power to come along to rescue or punish you, when one pretty much never will because they don't exist. Only through the correct realizations and understandings can you basically free yourself by becoming your own god. Buddha himself being a guy who ascended and returned to earth to teach other people the past.

I'm no expert, and could have that wrong, but by Buddhist standards what do they exorcise from people is there is nothing out there that can possess people?

Islam is from the same family of religions as Judism, and Christianity and shares a lot of the same central beliefs so that makes sense. Hinduism has an entire pantheon of gods and assorted servants so, again that makes a degree of sense, however Buddhism is more of a philosophy than anything, even if it includes mystical elements.
While you encapsulate the 'basic' Buddhism well, the truth is that just like with any religion, Buddhism has different sects that vary in their beliefs. Just go google 'Buddhist Exorcism' and you'll find plenty of references.

Sander Seed

Jan 28, 2011
If you want to see the topic of exorcisms done right, get your hands on the 2008 UK miniseries Apparitions. Best portrayal of the topic and generally best depiction of "World if all the Catholic mumbo jumbo were actually true". It's like an action movie where the weapons are force of will and church philosophy except awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparitions_(TV_series)

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Oh. Didn't Elijah Wood taze some guy in the butthole with a friend of his?

Aldan9

Sep 5, 2009
I like how MovieBob's videos are usually objective and well argumented but this time the fact that he's an atheist shed a somewhat unwelcoming light on the movie review from the start.

Stillve

Sep 19, 2009
Just hearing about this movie made me sick to the stomach, man. The bullshit exorcism is based on really damages any story that includes it.
All those inevitable stereotypes that come with aren't a walk in the park to sit through either. Like ''the logical, sceptical character is always wrong and gets converted/dies in the end''...just terrible.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
In Comparison to SotL? Hunh... never heard that before, though you're probably justified, though I think his best movie is The Remains of the Day but thats just me.

OT: I dont know... I'd have to see it for Anthony Hopkins, cause it looks like there's the subtext of him being either a cereble palsy victim or possessed himself, and I'm extremely hoping on the latter, simply because... well... come on. Its what he does. So if this movie grosses as much as it does, probably.... 70%(?) is for Hopkins and potential that he's gonna freak out and bust shit up in a way that will scar the viewer and put the fear of god into them (no pun intended).

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Burst of laughter at the scene with satanic donkey ? That...seems oddly familiar !

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
Darn, I was hoping The Mechanic was going to get reviewed this week. Both The Mechanic and The Rite look like dumb movies, but The Mechanic was closer to the kind of dumb I can tolerate and even like sometimes.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Actually Andrew Garfield looks pretty good as Spider-Man, better than Toby McGuire ever did anyway. Not that I have anything against Toby McGuire, I just don't think he was best suited for that role.
However, I am sick and tired of dark and gritty. The only thing that needs to be dark and gritty is Batman, and even then not all the frickin' time.
I'm also sick and tired of reboots. The only time I ever want to hear the word "reboot" is when either referring to the show "ReBoot" or talking about computers!

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
I actually really enjoyed The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Mainly due to the absolutely AMAZING Jennifer Carpenter.

Seriously, that girl can panick and scream and freak out like nothing I have ever seen.

BentSea

May 26, 2010
Bob, if you're dead set against a genre, and you see a movie and your whole review boils down to, "I wish it was bad, but it's really well made and everyone does a good job in their roles, and there is even one good scene that I forgot that I hated the genre for." JUST REVIEW A DIFFERENT *** ****ED MOVIE.

If the movie has no chance at all of engaging you and if you can't give an honest review without ranting against the genre as a whole, seriously, give it a pass, it's like reviewing a harry potter movie, only your review isn't any good to anyone instead of just being no good to everyone but the two people who might actually be on the fence about joining in at the new movie after missing everything up to that point.

If you are so jaded as a reviewer that you can't enjoy a well made movie with solid acting, decent writing, and a good script that doesn't meet your needs for creativity and liveliness, at the very least enough that you can give a review without spending more than half of it berating the fundamental story and basic idea of the movie, then.. something is wrong. And your reviews suffer for it. Really... just skip on to a movie you're less likely to hate or a movie where your review might actually mean something.

Unless you intend your reviews to ultimately only be helpful to hardcore jaded movie buffs with no interest in any movie that isn't a brilliant gem of originality and creativity. But, then... why am I watching your reviews?

Cargin

Jun 3, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
It's pronounced Ciaran (Key-rawn) Hinds. (unless he's changed how it's normally pronounced)

Usual great review though, thanks again!
Ninja'd! on both points :p