Escape to the Movies: The Rite

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Not to nitpick or anything (MB is my second favourite Escapist series) but when did it become "OK" to include spoilers in reviews? Film critics for decades have been charged with critically reviewing a movie without giving anything away, least of all anything that could be considered a "twist". Admitting that the video contains spoilers doesn't make it OK to do so.

Pumpkinmancer

The Pumpkin is our salvation!
Sep 20, 2010
It would be cool if the skeptic was right in one of these movies! But then all thsoe religious folks would be all upset.

New spiderman pic makes me think: Just how emo can they make it? Find out!

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
THe Exorcist is without question the most overrated movie of all time. Seriously an 11 yr old cursing and masturbating with a cross isn't scary, at least not in any other time but the early '70s. It's more funny than anything.

Bob just can't leave the new Spider Man alone
lastoflancas said:
This is exactly why I always stick to good old Asian horror films, if I ever want to get my horror movie fix. No, not remakes. Remakes tend to remove actual tension and thrill out of the original.
Yeah, how many dead ghost girls movies has Asia released? How many gore filled lame killer movies? Give me a break.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Aldan9 said:
I like how MovieBob's videos are usually objective and well argued but this time the fact that he's an atheist shed a somewhat unwelcoming light on the movie review from the start.
He's not an atheist, in a recent video Bob said he was an agnostic.

faeshadow

Feb 4, 2008
But...but... it's got the Dream Lord and Julius Caesar in it! (Obscure references, ahoy!)

Damn, was praying a little that it would break the genre mold and not suck, but...meh. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Wouldn't it make more sense if the devil were to make the skeptic appear right so that the priest starts to lose his faith or something? Leave it ambiguous for the audience and you might actually have a decent movie with a decent twist.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
TheEnglishman said:
Well then, that's what we need: A Religious-Horror movie which ends with the skeptic being right.
No way that would show in America. It'd probably be popular in Europe though.
No it wont because that would be boring.

Imagine this:

A security guard keeping someone in a padded cell while he sits in front of a TV eating cheetos and watching "charles in charge" for two and a half hours.

Most. boring. movie. ever.
Unless it was actually a serial killer who gave people overdoses of psychotropic drugs in order to play on a religious town's paranoia. Especially if the killer turned out to be the main priest who was spreading the paranoia, and the main character (a young priest sent from the Vatican to investigate) finally finds out, kills the serial killer priest, and loses his faith. I'd watch it.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Ultratwinkie said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
TheEnglishman said:
Well then, that's what we need: A Religious-Horror movie which ends with the skeptic being right.

Imagine this:

A security guard keeping someone in a padded cell while he sits in front of a TV eating cheetos and watching "charles in charge" for two and a half hours.

Unless it was actually a serial killer who gave people overdoses of psychotropic drugs in order to play on a religious town's paranoia. Especially if the killer turned out to be the main priest who was spreading the paranoia, and the main character (a young priest sent from the Vatican to investigate) finally finds out, kills the serial killer priest, and loses his faith. I'd watch it.
How would he lose his faith over a serial killer? It's just the same fear mongering that humanity has used throughout the ages. Hell fear mongering is still used now, and no one notices.
People lost their faith over the holocaust. If he watches a bunch of innocent people die for no apparent reason, not because of the devil but because of some person. It's not that out-there. The idea is that the character changes over the course of the story. In typical exorcism movies the skeptical priest becomes a believer, why not the opposite for once? It would at least be different and interesting. But if it offends your religious sentiments, that's another matter entirely.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
one: HATE HATE HATE the Exorcist.

two: You could actually give Andre Garfield a chance to make the Spider man reboot awesome before it's going to suck

and three: Since I purposely haven't seen many Exorcists, and I love Anthony Hopkins, I am probably going to go see this, but thanks for the advice anyways.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Sorry Bob, gone with the wind was only 10x more popular than both films. Also, I have to ask, why do people put up spoilers at the begining of their videos? I want to know what this guy thinks, OH SHIT, now I have to be careful.

Also, the review starts at 2:30, almost halfway through the review. Why? I've noticed that in most of your newer reviews you like to give brief history lessons, but this is something better covered by your other column.

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
Hey MovieBob, do you like anime? Then you NEED to check out the Rebuild of Evangelion movies: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/evangelion/2.0-you-can-not-advance The US run is sadly already over, but I think you'll agree that they're worth having in your library.

KhakiHat

Dec 28, 2008
My faith states that exorcism is pretty a straightforward deal. "Sir, I must insist by the powers that be, namely Christ Jesus our Lord and Master, Do leave the premises."

Makes for bad cinema but also bad camp fire stories. This stuff ain't no joke, if God wanted you there, it was for your witness and experience, not so you can tell 'scar-y' stories around a fire. Shit ain't spectacle, and one should never want to be in such a position to say "I've seen the demons rush out" or wish to know too much of the affair. Theirs also something about spirit return and entrenchment, but that wouldn't make a happy ending. Also consider the fact that people are naturally dicks even after such hard trauma. Unless... well, you know the rest of the Gospel.

My $0.02, YMMV

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Ultratwinkie said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Ultratwinkie said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
TheEnglishman said:

Imagine this:

How would he lose his faith over a serial killer? It's just the same fear mongering that humanity has used throughout the ages. Hell fear mongering is still used now, and no one notices.
People lost their faith over the holocaust. If he watches a bunch of innocent people die for no apparent reason, not because of the devil but because of some person. It's not that out-there. The idea is that the character changes over the course of the story. In typical exorcism movies the skeptical priest becomes a believer, why not the opposite for once? It would at least be different and interesting. But if it offends your religious sentiments, that's another matter entirely.
No, saying people lost their faith after a petty murderer is like losing your faith after going to the restroom. The holocaust was not an everyday event. Bad things happen in the world by the millions every day, and if the main character didn't realize that then its an "ivory tower' scenario where the character is unrelatable.

However if viewing history as set in stone (philosophy) then there is no true "free will", only us doing things that are set in stone. Really depends on view.
But how many witness murders day in and out? What if the Killer was his mentor who taught him everything, and the sole reason for his faith? What if he blamed murders on the devil but the priest kills in some pseudo-inquisition way, believing it to be gods will? Maybe the killer was the only cementing piece of faith for the new priest because of something happening which the killer saved him from (death of family .ect) I like the idea, horror movies aren't my thing, but with a good director and actors this sounds great.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
His best movie, imo.
What on earth is so great about Fracture? My dad was all nuts over it too, I sat down and watched it with him, and the sheer level of stupid was reality-warping.

I mean,
Any competent detective would have spotted that the killer had the exact same kind of gun as the police force. Seriously, who doesn't notice that? And they build the entire movie around that "twist!"

I mean, AH acted it very well, but the movie was a steaming pile.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Ultratwinkie said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Ultratwinkie said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
TheEnglishman said:

Imagine this:

No, saying people lost their faith after a petty murderer is like losing your faith after going to the restroom. The holocaust was not an everyday event. Bad things happen in the world by the millions every day, and if the main character didn't realize that then its an "ivory tower' scenario where the character is unrelatable.

However if viewing history as set in stone (philosophy) then there is no true "free will", only us doing things that are set in stone. Really depends on view.
Not sure what your point about free will is, but as far as loosing faith: it happens to people every day, over far more mundane things. A lot of people just start to lose it once they learn about evolution, even though one could make all sorts of deist arguments. The thing that would make the character lose his faith in this scenario is that he would see his religion used to make people become vicious, (at one point the town could burn an innocent child alive because of hysteria), and that could turn him off to religion as a whole. I'm not trying to make a point about religion, I'm just saying what would work for the plot of a movie.