Escape to the Movies: The World's End

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The World's End

MovieBob takes us to the end of the world with his review of The World's End.

Watch Video

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
So this is The Stepford Wives in UK, with pubs. Sounds pretty good, I'll check it out when it trickles down to south america.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm honestly looking forward to seeing this. I like the source material a lot better than I did for Hot Fuzz, so I imagine I'll enjoy this one a lot more, but we'll see. I thoroughly enjoyed Shaun of the Dead, it was a great movie overall, besides being very funny. Now the trick is getting my girlfriend to see it with me.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Well, you liked it better then I when I saw it. I was not convinced with the chemistry of the crowd, the friendship they supposed to of had just did not excist for me and that kept poking me in the ribs like a five year old who's just seen the puppy and firework factory was having a sale.... And the end was total balls. I hate that 1st world techno fear ballshit. Gods i really hate that stupid shit.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Simon Pegg as Ant Man may be one of the few things that could possibly cause me to go see that movie.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I thought the movie was definitely up there with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (the latter of which being in my Top 5 favorite movies of all time), right up until the end, where they kind of lost me at...

Trying to cram in a racism/immigration message right at the end, with the native humans discriminating against the alien-created doppelgangers once their existence became known.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against that message being made, and I think it might have worked if they had so much as brought up that theme at any point earlier in the movie. My problem was that they tried to cram the whole thing into literally the last 5 minutes of the movie, with no more time to flesh it out and explore it, meaning it just came off as completely hollow.

Other than that though, a must see, and I particularly agree with Bob about how well the Pegg/Frost role reversal worked.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I loved it when I went to see it and I also agree that it is Simon Pegg's best performance.

Ghonzor said:
Simon Pegg as Ant Man may be one of the few things that could possibly cause me to go see that movie.
Same here. If Pegg plays Ant-man I will go see it but if not I will likly skip it/wait for bluray. I just don't give a shit about Ant-man and I never have.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I definitely want to see Worlds End and You're Next in theaters tomorrow. Both look amazing. kinda bummed that Moviebob only covered Worlds End in his Escape to the Movies video review but only offered a written review for You're Next in his Intermission article. I wish Escapist would allow Bob to do double feature video reviews, especially when two good movies like this pop up.

And, yes, do not toy with my feelings, Mr. Pegg. I'm still trying to comprehend the news of Ben Affleck being picked to play Batman in the upcoming Superman/Batman movie. Although having Simon Pegg play Hank Pym would be awesome. I just wanna know who would be Janet Van Dyne/Wasp if that was the case. Would she be much younger and how would the dynamic between the two work out?

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Ghonzor said:
I'll see it anyway, but Pegg would be a huge bonus. Ant Man could have one of the most interesting stories, not all threats have to be world ending.

When Bob said "Don't toy with me" all I could think of was a MovieBob action figure and an Ant Man action figure doing battle.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
The entirety of all recommendations for this movie: did you like Shawn of the Dead and/or Hot Fuzz? Then you'll like this movie...

Saioon

Aug 25, 2010
Great film, though living in the town it was filmed in made it a slightly creepy experience.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as Hot Fuzz, but since that's my favourite movie of all time I can let that slide. I do think it would definitely benefit from multiple viewings though, which is to be expected of course.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I actually watched the first two films in the Cornetto trilogy over the past two days. I'm a bit too busy to go see The World's End, but believe me, I will be very sad to miss it. I like how the films are part comedy, part sincere examination of a small group of characters and how they grow as the plot unfolds around them. This is the way I think comedy should be done, with a genuine focus on what's going on and who the main characters are, with the jokes almost taking a back seat.

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
Loved Shaun of the Dead, struggled a bit with Hot Fuzz - I guess I kept thinking it should be funnier like Shaun was to me. But this one I really want to take in at a movie house.

I guess the news about Ben Afflect as Batman came out too late for MovieBob to put in his little outro bits.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Oh wow, didn't know anything like this was coming out. I knew it had to be good just by looking at the line-up.