Escape to the Movies: The World's End

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
luvd1 said:
Well, you liked it better then I when I saw it. I was not convinced with the chemistry of the crowd, the friendship they supposed to of had just did not excist for me and that kept poking me in the ribs like a five year old who's just seen the puppy and firework factory was having a sale.... And the end was total balls. I hate that 1st world techno fear ballshit. Gods i really hate that stupid shit.
ehhh, I think that was the point. Garry was completely estranged from all of them, and the rest of them didn't seem to have kept in contact /that/ much with each other. The chemistry was there, just it was distant, which worked in context that they hadn't really been together as a group and done that sort of thing in years.

Plus I don't think the techno fear was supposed to be a message, Pegg/Wright/Frost are all massive Sci Fi geeks, to the point where if they could afford it, they'd likely be investing in R&D of hoverboards. It seemed more like a "fuck you" to homogeneous bull crap, the idea of watering things down or changing them to fit in with the whole, removing any semblance of uniqueness that they had so they'll fit in. It's a theme that is presented early on in the film with the pubs being all chain bars, as opposed to local pubs, Kings argument with the thing at the end just felt like the culmination of that rather than techno fear. Of course it had some rather shite consequences (no more cornettos!) though.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I haven't read up on the people involved, so why is Paul not counted as one of their movies?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
This sure was a dead-serious sounding review of a COMEDY. Bob, you didn't bring up much about the jokes which Pegg, Frost, and Wright are known for. As for Pegg as Ant-Man, YES PLEASE! In that photo of him pointing at Ant-Man, which cover of which issue of Secret Avengers was that? I know it'd from Secret Avengers because I recognized Beast, Black Widow, Vision, and the Eric O'Grady Ant-Man.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I dunno if I'd want to see Simon Pegg as Hank Pym. I just don't see him pulling that role off very well, despite how much I love Pegg.

HOWEVER, since I remember reading that the Ant-Man movie is actually going to contain two stories. One of Hank Pym in the sixties and the other of Scott Lang in the more present day (essentially making Lang the one who will be teaming up with The Avengers we know and love) I DO think Pegg would be good for Lang.

Then all we need is for Eric O'Grady to show up as the disgruntled SHIELD employee he started out as in Agents of SHIELD and we've got the Ant-Men covered :p

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
elvor0 said:
luvd1 said:
Well, you liked it better then I when I saw it. I was not convinced with the chemistry of the crowd, the friendship they supposed to of had just did not excist for me and that kept poking me in the ribs like a five year old who's just seen the puppy and firework factory was having a sale.... And the end was total balls. I hate that 1st world techno fear ballshit. Gods i really hate that stupid shit.
ehhh, I think that was the point. Garry was completely estranged from all of them, and the rest of them didn't seem to have kept in contact /that/ much with each other. The chemistry was there, just it was distant, which worked in context that they hadn't really been together as a group and done that sort of thing in years.

Plus I don't think the techno fear was supposed to be a message, Pegg/Wright/Frost are all massive Sci Fi geeks, to the point where if they could afford it, they'd likely be investing in R&D of hoverboards. It seemed more like a "fuck you" to homogeneous bull crap, the idea of watering things down or changing them to fit in with the whole, removing any semblance of uniqueness that they had so they'll fit in. It's a theme that is presented early on in the film with the pubs being all chain bars, as opposed to local pubs, Kings argument with the thing at the end just felt like the culmination of that rather than techno fear. Of course it had some rather shite consequences (no more cornettos!) though.
You missunderstand my post. I'm talking about the acting. It's like when an actor does comedy. There's a difference between being funny and acting funny, it's a sort of uncanny valley. At no point did I believe in their characters being "alive", so could not invest in the back story. They were as unreal as the dups. And I'm not tlking about the message at the end, . I mean the actual ending after kings speech. When... You know
the world falls into a dark age coz modern technology no long works. For fuck sake, 1st world bullshit. Most of the world still doesn't have 24 hour electricity. We talking about just 40 years worth of tech being useless. "Planes will fall from the skies!!!!11111" so we go back to props again, phones will still work, any car 5 years or older will still run, trains too. Nothing will actully change. Only things like keking iPad, iPod, laptop and the Internet wont work. That is not the end of the fucking world!!
That stuff really gets on my goat.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Piorn said:
I haven't read up on the people involved, so why is Paul not counted as one of their movies?
Coz wright wasn't involved. None of that crowd was. It just stared pegg and frost.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
I saw this a couple of weeks back since it released in the UK before the US. I enjoyed it, but do agree it's probably the weakest of the trilogy. Still awesome though.

Also, I will NOT watch You're Next. I like supernatural horror, but I can't stand movies about murderers, killers and psychopaths.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I thought the movie was definitely up there with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (the latter of which being in my Top 5 favorite movies of all time), right up until the end, where they kind of lost me at...

Trying to cram in a racism/immigration message right at the end, with the native humans discriminating against the alien-created doppelgangers once their existence became known.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against that message being made, and I think it might have worked if they had so much as brought up that theme at any point earlier in the movie. My problem was that they tried to cram the whole thing into literally the last 5 minutes of the movie, with no more time to flesh it out and explore it, meaning it just came off as completely hollow.

Other than that though, a must see, and I particularly agree with Bob about how well the Pegg/Frost role reversal worked.
You see, I thought the final message was

What use is "civilisation" if everybody is a carbon copy of each other without the freedom of expression and free will, the things that ultimately make people human. The Blanks didn't have free will until the Network leaves. We will fuck up from time to time but that's for us be able to do and learn from rather than being replaced with somebody who essentially isn't you.

I see where you're coming from but I don't agree that's what they were going for.

tarnim80

Apr 16, 2011
This week I would strongly recomend Blue Jasmine for those who also like every-day dramas. Great movie! And Cate Blanchett gives this years (probarbly) best acting performance in it.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
So, wait... alien indoctrination comes with hot school girls hitting on you? Interesting...

luvd1 said:
the world falls into a dark age coz modern technology no long works. For fuck sake, 1st world bullshit. Most of the world still doesn't have 24 hour electricity. We talking about just 40 years worth of tech being useless. "Planes will fall from the skies!!!!11111" so we go back to props again, phones will still work, any car 5 years or older will still run, trains too. Nothing will actully change. Only things like keking iPad, iPod, laptop and the Internet wont work. That is not the end of the fucking world!!
Keep in mind how much stuff is run by the Internet and computers these days. The world economy would probably crash into the ground and dig a ten mile trench if you suddenly eliminated it from our lives.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I reckon this was great; maybe not as good as Hot Fuzz, but still right up there. If you liked the first two (or comedy films in general) definitely go see it.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
This is like the film equivalent of Portal 2, the only bad thing anybody has to say, is that its predecessors were peerless and this was merely excellent.

I agree with Bob, the weakest of the Cornetto Trilogy, which is hardly a complaint. It's a very good film but the ghost of its predecessors nagged at me throughout.

Anybody else think the ending was kind of like...

...Mass Effect? An alien intelligence that manifests as pure light seeks to put an end to a cycle of violence caused by free will by using indoctrination, but is refused by the main character, the intelligence then destroys their advanced technology as a last ditch effort to pacify them for a while longer.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Crispee said:

...Mass Effect? An alien intelligence that manifests as pure light seeks to put an end to a cycle of violence caused by free will by using indoctrination, but is refused by the main character, the intelligence then destroys their advanced technology as a last ditch effort to pacify them for a while longer.
Oh, yes. And now when anyone asks how I would have preferred Mass Effect 3 to have ended, I answer with "Like The World's End."

It's just that having very human, down-to-Earth characters being very stubborn and bloody-minded in the face of a supposedly infinitely greater mind is a theme that I really, really enjoy.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Crispee said:

Holy shit yes! That's exactly what I thought.

The red light beam they were escaping from at the end even looked like Mass Effect's 'Destroy' ending. And it had sort of the same effect as well.

Trust these guys to take that particular concept and actually make it good.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I will admit, as much as I laughed at the film, the jokes wern't quite as 'quotable' as the previous films mostly due to the jokes being drunken slurs or entire action scenes... speaking of which, the action scenes were f*cking amazing.

MindFragged

Apr 2, 2009
Liked the movie, and like the review. Pointed out some things I might have missed that I think I'll look into on a second viewing.

The whole EU thing interested me, but I think some context would be helpful. The whole EU issue (the UK is part of the EU (but not part of the Euro currency) and will hold an in/out referendum soon) is pretty relevant, so it's by no means a long shot to say that it might have some bearing on it, but I think this could stem more from with the homogenisation of England internally. There's been a long-running discussion about the 'death of the high street' over here, prompted by small businesses losing out to large chains. Go to any town in England and you can almost guarantee to find a certain selection of chains there, regardless of location - this goes double for the south-east. I'm fairly certain this is an issue in America too, but in England it's pretty obvious by looking at our pubs; the difference between the few independent pubs and those that belong to a chain is usually quite noticeable, even just by looking at the selection of beers on tap.

Our membership of the EU could be seen as a part of this homogenisation, maybe. But I don't think that the film points specifically to that as much as how much we've managed to homogenise ourselves here without external pressure.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Alar said:
So, wait... alien indoctrination comes with hot school girls hitting on you? Interesting...

luvd1 said:
Keep in mind how much stuff is run by the Internet and computers these days. The world economy would probably crash into the ground and dig a ten mile trench if you suddenly eliminated it from our lives.
[spoier]The explosion that happened in Newton Haven happened at other places the blanks had taken over as well. It's been a couple of weeks since I've seen this, but I'm pretty sure the network mentioned there being 2000 places they had infiltrated. That's a lot of the world's population that would be killed all at once. That would also cause a bit of a dark age.

Not that we know what life was properly like, as we didn't see much of the world after it 'ended'.[/spoiler]

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
So, no reaction to "Ben Affleck is Batman"? Not even at the end where you can easily slip a first reaction in?

A little disappointed, though I'm pretty sure it'll be the topic of "The Big Picture" next Tuesday.