Escape to the Movies: This Means War

Sheamus

Mar 28, 2009
about as much as I expected. Mr. and Mrs. Smith was the only movie of this type to get it right.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Ha, shocker at Ghost Riders sequel being bad. Completely shocking.

As well as the fact that they're remaking another damn movie. TMNT wasn't that bad, leave it be!

As for This Means War, I don't even remember hearing about it.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
That sucks. My sister and I thought it was going to be a sure bet, romance for her, action for me, but no! Damn, we're both going to have a terrible time.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Say it again!

Sad to hear what may happen to TNMT. Also sad to hear about Ghost Rider, since it was shot in my country. There's only about 4-5 good foreign movies shot in my country, and a lot of crap.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
At least it show us what happen when intelligence agency have too much power and money

May 17, 2010
Was never going to see it anyways, I mean seriously a girl is going out with you and your best friend and you don't immediately dump her when you find out? But worse engage in some type of sick competition? No it would be like watching an aliens.

I like Chris Pine though and thought he got down some Kirkism to the T.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
No the bad news is that there's going to be a TMNT Reboot PERIOD.

As for This Means War, I hate it already. Just hearing the plot makes me want to punch something.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I haven't seen the movie, but from watching the trailers... I thought Witherspoons characters was the villain of the piece. Unwittingly setting two best friends against one another and ruining their relationship as friends because she can't and won't decide which man she wants. Seemed a little selfish and misogynistic on her part just as much as it does on the two friends fighting against one another.

That said, these two can't be good friends if they let a girl who is two timing them both ruin their friendship, specially when its a girl they've only recently met. I'm pretty sure if they were that good of friends their eyes wouldn't be glaring with hatred and jealousy of each other but rather pissed off at the girl who caused it.

That said this is just my interpretation based souly on the trailer and it maybe a little unfair to judge this point given how little I've seen of the film. Though even that is in question when a trailer is there to show off the movie and reel your in.

Either way, it looked like goofy fun but from what I've heard its firmly in the "stay away" territory. Just a shame really, Tom Hardy being a pretty good actor and doing pretty well for himself that he'll have another black mark on his filmography (the first being that so-so Star Trek film he did) let's just hope he's not going to jump down into rom-com territory just yet cause that and kids movies are the slippery slope that can devour careers and actors credibility.

Speaking of Tom Hardy though, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on Warrior. I thought it was a pretty good film but most online critics don't seem to have given it the time of day. Which is a shame really, thought the movie deserved more and it's always interesting to see others interpretations or opinions on a movie.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
So it sounds like it would have been much better if she'd been playing the two of them from the beginning, but then perhaps fell for them when they really pulled together to try and save her from some final act nemesis.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
But I thought Twilight established that stalking is an endearing expression of love...

(please for the love of god understand sarcasm)

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
On the news this morning on the inane 'what to do on a 3 day weekend' section the movie guy suggested this as a purely guy movie, if you ignore that fact its trying to be romantic does that make its many flaws less obvious?

Just interested. I have no plans to see this and had no hope for its quality to begin with

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Sovvolf said:
I thought Witherspoons characters was the villain of the piece. Unwittingly setting two best friends against one another and ruining their relationship as friends because she can't and won't decide which man she wants. Seemed a little selfish and misogynistic on her part just as much as it does on the two friends fighting against one another.
But she doesn't know they're friends, isn't that one of the main points of the film? You said it yourself, 'unwittingly'.
I don't see how that makes her misogynistic?

On Topic: I never expected anything from this film so it's not a surprise that it doesn't amount to much.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I guess Tom Hardy had to be in a shitty movie sooner or later now that his carreer in Hollywood is getting a boost thanks to the new Batman movie.

He'll always be Bronson to me though.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
I pretty much expected this from the word "GO" when I saw the trailers for this film. As I said on another review, this movie is part of the fallout from the "Sex in the City" generation, which subconsciously taught women that it's okay to go around being a two-timing slut.

Horrible, horrible premise and movie all around.

This weekend, I'm going to see the new Miyazaki film, The "Secret World of Arriety". That's right, folks. A chidlren's animated feature has more interest for me than just about everything else this weekend.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Sheamus said:
about as much as I expected. Mr. and Mrs. Smith was the only movie of this type to get it right.
You know, I never thought of Mr. and Mrs. Smith to be that good. But with shit like this, its a fucking masterpiece...

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Redem said:
At least it show us what happen when intelligence agency have too much power and money
If they don't keep their budget spent every quarter, the'll never see it again.

/This is how the US Federal Government actually thinks