Escape to the Movies: This Means War

Akio91

Dec 21, 2011
NinjaDC said:
WHY YOU NO ARRIETTY!!!

Seriously Bob, why waste your time with 2 garbage movies like Ghost Rider 2 & This Means War.
Studio Ghibli finally gets another movie released in the US, and you give it a complete snub.
Why review another entry-level sameface bonanza, when it's going to get rave reviews regardless. Plus, I feel the point of this video was to start a flamewar about everything that's wrong with this movie.

Bob, why did you only say the men were the villains here? Didn't you say they were being used in the first place? Like someone else said, this is "John Tucker Must Die" with the roles reversed, and since it's men doing the creepy stalking, it's bad. But when women do it, GUUUUUURRRRRLLLL POWER!!!!! =_=

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I thought Chris Pine was a Boss as Kirk, to be honest. Plenty of chemistry between him and the rest of the cast.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Chris Pine and Hayden Christensen should do a Star Wars / Star Trek crossover!

They're combined acting skills would do wonders

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Sovvolf said:
Cause she's clearly dating two men at the same time to see which one is better and which she'd like to commit to... Also, how is thinking that is wrong sexist? I'd think the same if it was a man doing it to a girl, girl doing it to a girl, ect.

Dating is when a relationship is beginning to form, least that's how it works here. This isn't just one date then moving on. They are actively dating and probably getting to the sex part. Though here she's doing it with two men at the same time, having two relationships... So yeah two timing.

Dating is what you do to see if you want a relationship, not the actual start of a relationship that comes later (up to a year or more in some cases).
Guess it depends on the culture. Where I come from, actively dating pretty much = relationship. Maybe it's only around the beginning stages of a relationship but its still classed as one. Maybe its different in the states. Here, dating two people at a time is generally considered a poor thing to do. Pretty much considered two timing.

Maybe I'm just not getting it or I'm a juvenile sexist (The sexist part I'm still waiting for an explanation on) or whatever but I really don't see how dating two people at the same time is a nice thing to do.

Edit: On reading these two: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating#Europe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating#North_America I think I can see where I'm going wrong. Apparently this is the norm in American culture... In which case I'm probably in no place to judge. Here its a little different, thus my reasons for thinking that she is two timing.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
having not seen 'battle for LA' can't really gauge how 'bad' it is he might direct the next TMNT movie, but, just about any one would be better then Michel 'the no talent hack' Bay

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Damn...Well, I look forward to next week when Bob (hopefully) gives a yay-or-nay on Ghost Rider. I'm one of the few who really liked the first one. As for This Means War, COMPLETELY under my radar and it doesn't look like one I'll be watching in general. I still need to catch up on Chronicle. As for TMNT...I hope it doesn't suck...but considering it'll likely be released before the series on Nick, it'll probably be left wide open to make way for the show (like Clone Wars)

May 17, 2010
Sovvolf said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Sovvolf said:
Cause she's clearly dating two men at the same time to see which one is better and which she'd like to commit to... Also, how is thinking that is wrong sexist? I'd think the same if it was a man doing it to a girl, girl doing it to a girl, ect.

Dating is when a relationship is beginning to form, least that's how it works here. This isn't just one date then moving on. They are actively dating and probably getting to the sex part. Though here she's doing it with two men at the same time, having two relationships... So yeah two timing.

Dating is what you do to see if you want a relationship, not the actual start of a relationship that comes later (up to a year or more in some cases).
Guess it depends on the culture. Where I come from, actively dating pretty much = relationship. Maybe it's only around the beginning stages of a relationship but its still classed as one. Maybe its different in the states. Here, dating two people at a time is generally considered a poor thing to do. Pretty much considered two timing.

Maybe I'm just not getting it or I'm a juvenile sexist (The sexist part I'm still waiting for an explanation on) or whatever but I really don't see how dating two people at the same time is a nice thing to do.

Edit: On reading these two: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating#Europe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating#North_America I think I can see where I'm going wrong. Apparently this is the norm in American culture... In which case I'm probably in no place to judge. Here its a little different, thus my reasons for thinking that she is two timing.
I'm in the same boat as Sovvolf, I'm Irish and it would make people uncomfortable but if that's the norm then fair fucks, it's just I don't like the idea of decieving people.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
BabySinclair said:
But I thought Twilight established that stalking is an endearing expression of love...

(please for the love of god understand sarcasm)
Alright baby god dino monster I will do what you say.

That just seems creepy from the set up Bob gave us. Its kinda like if a movie was made as a comedy and the set up was a serial killer that Sweeny Todd people's bodies.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
370999 said:
I'm in the same boat as Sovvolf, I'm Irish and it would make people uncomfortable but if that's the norm then fair fucks, it's just I don't like the idea of decieving people.
Indeed, English here but our cultures aren't far off. Dating here pretty much means going out seems outside of here, that's not the case. So when I hear that someone is dating two people, that registers as cheating Seems in the states, dating doesn't quite mean that and thus as much as I hate to admit it... I'm wrong.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

OT: That sounds like the most just plain uninteresting movie I have ever seen. I bet this was originally an adaption of the Mad Spy vs. Spy segments until the studio marketing team got their hands on it.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
twilight seems to have cemented that stalking equals romance. if i ever have daughters i will have to scare the piss out of boys who grow up with this shit. Where do i sign up for shotguns?

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
So he smacks Captain Kirk Reboot (which he obviously despises) and the Future Bane (which he wasn't so enthusastic about)around but cuts Reese some slack. Yeah. But with all that aside it looked bizarre and uninteresting to begin with.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I was kind of hoping for Arrietty myself: less for the movie but for your take on the the Ghibli / Disney relationship over the years. (or why we'll bury these criticaly acclaimed films so as not to distract from Home on the Range and our direct to video sequels).

Shame about this one. Read the plot and it sounds like a great episode of Get Smart. Sadly, they play it straight from the trailer foreward.

Wriggle Wyrm

Jun 15, 2011
So let me get this strait. This movie is about how a couple of CIA agents, without any warrants, approval or oversight, abuse their power and violate this poor woman?s civil liberties, while at the same time putting her in mortal danger? Well, if nothing else I suppose it is topical, in the most horrific way?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
It's so strange on how he'll go off on movies that are actually very good, yet will praise movies that are completely terrible. The Star Trek movie was as good as you could get for a reboot. Yet he's telling us that thing was awful, yet praising the shit-show that was Immortals?

Maybe he's decided he like the whole "rogue critic" shindig that Yahtzee sort of does. It would be fine if that actually worked, but it's so blatantly obvious he goes into movies with his opinions formed. And perhaps maybe not so bipolar.

Plus, when did you start caring about misogyny?