Escape to the Movies: This Means War

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
C'mon, easy on the "woman hating" stuff, it's obvious this was stupid rather than inentional because they make themselves look like fools

Also, HELL YEA TMNT REBOOT! They were awful yet awesome when I was a kid so there's not much they can't ruin, but hopefully they'll use their weapons this time around for things other than making pizza like in the original comic

Innocent Bystander

Jan 29, 2012
Trekkie said:
anyone noticed the double starndard about when bob will stand up and shout "this is misogynistic!" about a film at the slightest provocation. However when a film blatantly goes out of its way to be misandric and to say that all men are horrible and evil (like the girl with the dragon tattoo), Bob doesn't even bat an eye lid.
Also, he sometimes gives a movie a better review if he finds the female lead attractive, which seems sort of odd considering his self-assumed role as champions of women's rights.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Sovvolf said:
OtherSideofSky said:
Indeed it is, as it as been pointed out to me a few times by now :). Honestly, even if it's only as slight as a social double standard I still feel the need to call the film out on it. I think of the reaction the film would get if the genders were reversed... I don't find it fair for one to get away with it while the other would get crucified. Few double standards are justified and my tolerance for such things is fairly low.

Guess I can be a little idealistic and I'd fancy a equal world :). Trust me if this was in role reverse I'd be the first to call the movie out on it. Though I'd probably have less people digging at my throats for it, cause as mentioned, its a double standard that people tend to tolerate.

That said, I'm not sure how called for my ranting was, as noted with further research the use of the word dating differs in America to how its generally used in Britain. Apparently dating multiple people at the same time in America isn't that big of a deal and quite normal in forming a relationship. While here in Britain, dating pretty much means "going out", when you've started actively dating, your pretty much in a relationship. So I hope you understand the mix up here. Looking at a film where a character dates multiple people at the same time registered as cheating in my books being a little ignorant of how it works in America.

That said the whole Sex-off part may be pushing it...
I agree with you on the double standards, and this is one of the reasons I have recently developed a dislike for Valentines day. (I have no problem buying gifts for my girl, when I have one) but the double standard came to my attention when, almost a year after breaking up I find out that my ex was pissed at me because she paid for V-day dinner, now this was either our first v-day, which was 12 days after we started dating or our second v-day where I had just spent all my money on our anniversary. (at this point I was a poor high school student) Anyway the point of that story was that the double standard that the men should have to pay for everything on V-day annoys me

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
That actually sounds like a great concept for a movie, if the movie and/or characters were aware of how fucked up it is. Seeing two needy psychopaths compete for the affections of an innocent woman by violating her civil liberties could make for a funny interesting movie. This does not look like that movie.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Sovvolf said:
OtherSideofSky said:
Indeed it is, as it as been pointed out to me a few times by now :). Honestly, even if it's only as slight as a social double standard I still feel the need to call the film out on it. I think of the reaction the film would get if the genders were reversed... I don't find it fair for one to get away with it while the other would get crucified. Few double standards are justified and my tolerance for such things is fairly low.

Guess I can be a little idealistic and I'd fancy a equal world :). Trust me if this was in role reverse I'd be the first to call the movie out on it. Though I'd probably have less people digging at my throats for it, cause as mentioned, its a double standard that people tend to tolerate.

That said, I'm not sure how called for my ranting was, as noted with further research the use of the word dating differs in America to how its generally used in Britain. Apparently dating multiple people at the same time in America isn't that big of a deal and quite normal in forming a relationship. While here in Britain, dating pretty much means "going out", when you've started actively dating, your pretty much in a relationship. So I hope you understand the mix up here. Looking at a film where a character dates multiple people at the same time registered as cheating in my books being a little ignorant of how it works in America.

Oh, I completely agree it needs to be pointed out. I just think that we all need to be more careful in how we use words. After all, if we use "misogyny" and "misandry" for every double standard and minor social attitude, we won't have any words left to accurately convey more dangerous and deliberate attitudes of real hate.

As an American, I have to say that I agree that going out with multiple people and not telling them you're doing it strikes me as dishonest and manipulative as well. Maybe there are other parts of the country where it's more accepted, but I see not being totally honest about the nature of your relationship with someone like that as incredibly disrespectful of your partner's feelings. Openly going out with multiple people is one thing, but secretly pursuing two relationships is another. The impression I took away from the movie is that all three people are, quite frankly, awful human beings and I have a hard time believing any of them are capable of maintaining a healthy and functional relationship.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
OtherSideofSky said:
Sovvolf said:
OtherSideofSky said:

Oh, I completely agree it needs to be pointed out. I just think that we all need to be more careful in how we use words. After all, if we use "misogyny" and "misandry" for every double standard and minor social attitude, we won't have any words left to accurately convey more dangerous and deliberate attitudes of real hate.

As an American, I have to say that I agree that going out with multiple people and not telling them you're doing it strikes me as dishonest and manipulative as well. Maybe there are other parts of the country where it's more accepted, but I see not being totally honest about the nature of your relationship with someone like that as incredibly disrespectful of your partner's feelings. Openly going out with multiple people is one thing, but secretly pursuing two relationships is another. The impression I took away from the movie is that all three people are, quite frankly, awful human beings and I have a hard time believing any of them are capable of maintaining a healthy and functional relationship.
yeah it's a Bullcrap double standard, it should be called out if only because this would never fly with the genders reversed.
and as an american i have no clue what that wiki article brought up on page 2 was going on about. it was pure face-palm material and I've never heard of people dating multiple people at once and picking and choosing. the closest i could think is an advice column i ran into once that was talking bout how sometimes women on an online dating service will be emailing multiple men to find the best "offer"

but it's all disgusting, it's like dating is a meat market. not it's one thing to go on multiple first dates with people and never go beyond that. but 2 or more people at the same time? sex-tie-breaker? WTF?!

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I didn't like Mr and Mrs Smith that much.

That being said, this one looked terrible from the trailer anyway.

longboardfan

Jul 27, 2011
Good news everyone! The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie won't have offensive stereotypes and shove a camera up April's butt. The bad news is the turtles won't actually be stars in their own movie.

May 17, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
Funny how Bob's angry, biased hatred towards the Star Trek reboot keeps popping up still. After all, Pine was the one thing (alongside Spock) that nearly all critics and audiences agreed on was hit out of the ballpark and had great charisma and screen presence.

But, this is Bob, so the whole "I'm going to keep bringing this up because I'm still pissed about it, despite writing a whole article telling people off on holding on to things" shenanigans still keeps showing up in these "reviews".
Ahh, but you forget, Chirs Pine was in a Star Trex movie which didn't cater exclusively to Bob, so it was therefore bad. And as such everyone involved in it is a bad actor, if Bob wants them to be. The director, Abrams get's a pass though because Bob is ambivalent about some of his work.

Remember it's about your chidlhood being justaposed with now, if you feel left out then it's wrong.

Except for Star Wars fans because Bob has changed his mind on that.

Remember the whole "No calling out a critic for hypocriscy" rule Bob introduced. Yeah.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
There are plenty of valid reasons to hate Manga and Anime, as there are plenty of reasons to love it, so just outright going and saying "I hate it, I don't need to explain myself" and then attempting to pose as a professional critic is pathetic.
You'd be right if he covered an anime on Escape to the Movies and gave it a bad review, but he hasn't, so he doesn't have to justify it. He doesn't like anime or manga, get over it.

but all it does is make you seem like an uneducated dunce who likes mouthing off on this that you don't have any actual knowledge of.
This makes no sense at all, since when do you have to explain to people you likes and dislikes, every time a song comes on that you love do you stop to explain to people why you like it? I doubt it, people just get so offended when someone doesn't like something that they like

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
But... what about those of us who liked the second act of true lies?

Almost liked it enough to excuse the first and second acts for the xenophobia and racism?

There was nothing in the second act of true lies that wasn't excused/justified by both partners being in the wrong. This movie seeks to set up a similar situation by having the female lead be a two-timer, giving a thinly veiled justification of all the events to come.

It's fantasy over reality anyway, a more real approach to the second act of true lies would have been to have the husband find out his wife is cheating and kill both her and the man she is cheating with. That isn't exactly romcom material, just emotion driven vigilante justice. Though I guess some people have a problem with the whole 'guilty conscience' mentality in the first place, I'm not one of them. This isn't a fidelity-for-females double standard either, it applies to men as well.

If the movie is structurally unsound, poorly executed, or just unfunny then I still don't want to waste money seeing it. On the other hand, I liked the trailer and was generally intrigued by the premise of the movie. Since I am dragged to most of these romcoms by my wife, seeing the female protagonist she undoubtedly empathizes with being treated as if she was in a tumble dryer might make me much more likely to enjoy it.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Sylveria said:
It's hard to take Bob's criticism of Pine seriously since it seems to stem from "ZOMG NEW STUFF IS NEW AND BAD" fanboy rage which is becoming an increasingly common and overt theme in his content. But I suppose that's balanced against his monocle-polishing film-snob side which forces him to give Oscar-bait like Tree of Life movie of the year recognition while still condemning "Oscar season". He's quite the maelstrom of extremes and contradictions.

Also, does anyone really give a shit about yet another attempt to reboot the ninja turtles? It's been done, what, 5 times between TV shows and straight-to-DVD movies?
I'm agreeing with you on his complaints about Pine. The dude seemed like a decent Kirk to me, he was just overshadowed by Bones, Scotty, and Syla-I mean Spock. Also, is anyone remotely surprised that Bob doesn't like a romantic-comedy? Sure, they're formulaic and repetitive most of the time, but every genre of film is like that. If you're not a fan of a genre, then maybe just avoid them altogether.

I keep watching Bob's reviews kind of randomly, hoping that maybe he'll stop railing from atop his geek soapbox, or change the hypocrisy of complaining about misogyny while being all "Hey look! Scarlett Johannsen's tits!". I keep being disappointed. I've given up on Bob entirely now, really.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
artanis_neravar said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
but all it does is make you seem like an uneducated dunce who likes mouthing off on this that you don't have any actual knowledge of.
This makes no sense at all, since when do you have to explain to people you likes and dislikes, every time a song comes on that you love do you stop to explain to people why you like it? I doubt it, people just get so offended when someone doesn't like something that they like
Like I said, you don't HAVE to explain anything, but then you also should be prepared for people to think less of you. It's like going around and saying, "man, I hate women/black people/different religions" and then when asked why just responding with "I don't have to explain, it's my right to have an opinion!"

See how stupid that makes a person look?

And no, I'm not comparing liking or disliking anime and manga to any of those things, but simply pointing out that a person who gives out his opinions and voices them in public should consider the why's and hows before he says things. It's simply to better yourself, and the level of the conversation.

For example, I think a lot of the manga is dull and repetitive. The storylines are either ridiculously simplistic with lots and lot of bruahaha and hyperactive behavior covering up the bad writing, or then alternatively they're so dense with minute lore that nobody can pick them up unless they've followed the soap operas for years and years.

But then again, there are great anime stories, like Galaxy Express 999, Ghost in the Shell and almost anything by Studio Ghilbi that tell coherent, well thought out stories that have beautiful writing, animation and are directing masterclass in all areas.

See how simple that can be?
Wow did you really just compare disliking manga to being a bigot? That makes you look stupid.

Manga and anime are always one way, they have a specific definition and they need to fall into that definition to be consider manga or anime. While Dragon Ball doesn't represent all anime it represents a good portion of the anime in America. The same idea does not apply to human, because we vary so much in personality that we can not be truly defined by our gender, religion, or skin color.

A more fitting example would have been disliking rap music, which I do, there are some exceptions, but for the most part I do not like rap, I can't really eplain it it just isn't to my liking.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Google image search red carpet photos of Reese Witherspoon and compare them to this movie poster of This Means War. If the movie didn't objectify women enough, this blatant photo shopping sure did.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
artanis_neravar said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
artanis_neravar said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Like I said, you don't HAVE to explain anything, but then you also should be prepared for people to think less of you. It's like going around and saying, "man, I hate women/black people/different religions" and then when asked why just responding with "I don't have to explain, it's my right to have an opinion!"

See how stupid that makes a person look?

And no, I'm not comparing liking or disliking anime and manga to any of those things, but simply pointing out that a person who gives out his opinions and voices them in public should consider the why's and hows before he says things. It's simply to better yourself, and the level of the conversation.

For example, I think a lot of the manga is dull and repetitive. The storylines are either ridiculously simplistic with lots and lot of bruahaha and hyperactive behavior covering up the bad writing, or then alternatively they're so dense with minute lore that nobody can pick them up unless they've followed the soap operas for years and years.

But then again, there are great anime stories, like Galaxy Express 999, Ghost in the Shell and almost anything by Studio Ghilbi that tell coherent, well thought out stories that have beautiful writing, animation and are directing masterclass in all areas.

See how simple that can be?
Wow did you really just compare disliking manga to being a bigot? That makes you look stupid.

Manga and anime are always one way, they have a specific definition and they need to fall into that definition to be consider manga or anime. While Dragon Ball doesn't represent all anime it represents a good portion of the anime in America. The same idea does not apply to human, because we vary so much in personality that we can not be truly defined by our gender, religion, or skin color.

A more fitting example would have been disliking rap music, which I do, there are some exceptions, but for the most part I do not like rap, I can't really eplain it it just isn't to my liking.
WOW, did you just manage to both misunderstand (or not even read what I wrote) about BOTH opinions and manga?

I'm curious how you can handle even normal conversations if you miss the point so well. Notice how I wrote about BOTH things on how they're not as simple, but for the sake of argument had to be presented as such. Also, you might notice how I even said how manga or anime AREN'T always the same, yet you go right on babbling inanely about how they are that.

So, well done on missing the point and all, but really, don't you find that it makes having discussions with people a lot harder?
And your argument is wrong, it add nothing to your point, and there was no need to include it, including it made your point weaker. All I said is that manga and anime have to fit a certain definition, and, as i said, while DBZ doesn't represent all anime it represents a lot of the anime that is popular here.

And no, I'm not comparing liking or disliking anime and manga to any of those things, but simply pointing out that a person who gives out his opinions and voices them in public should consider the why's and hows before he says things.
the comparison is still flawed and stupid, you are trying to compare voicing a hate for people based on a cursory observation of their physical appearance to disliking a form of entertainment. One has a deep rooted cause and generally makes you act like a bad person, and one just mean you have a different taste, can you guess which is which? So, as I said, those two can not be compared at all, not even "for the sake of the argument".