Escape to the Movies: This Means War

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Haakong said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Sylveria said:
It's hard to take Bob's criticism of Pine seriously since it seems to stem from "ZOMG NEW STUFF IS NEW AND BAD" fanboy rage which is becoming an increasingly common and overt theme in his content. But I suppose that's balanced against his monocle-polishing film-snob side which forces him to give Oscar-bait like Tree of Life movie of the year recognition while still condemning "Oscar season". He's quite the maelstrom of extremes and contradictions.

Also, does anyone really give a shit about yet another attempt to reboot the ninja turtles? It's been done, what, 5 times between TV shows and straight-to-DVD movies?
I'm agreeing with you on his complaints about Pine. The dude seemed like a decent Kirk to me, he was just overshadowed by Bones, Scotty, and Syla-I mean Spock. Also, is anyone remotely surprised that Bob doesn't like a romantic-comedy? Sure, they're formulaic and repetitive most of the time, but every genre of film is like that. If you're not a fan of a genre, then maybe just avoid them altogether.

I keep watching Bob's reviews kind of randomly, hoping that maybe he'll stop railing from atop his geek soapbox, or change the hypocrisy of complaining about misogyny while being all "Hey look! Scarlett Johannsen's tits!". I keep being disappointed. I've given up on Bob entirely now, really.
Bob has always been a good source for entertainment for me, but I couldnt agree more with you on these points. It doesnt have to be all serious reviews all the time, but the instant change from "tits lol" to "they objectify women!" from one episode to another is tiring. His A-game is obscure movie facts and interesting views on pop-culture... wish he could just stick to that. Way too often lately, he sidesteps into "internet mob"-fanbait.

Personally Ive grown tired of the rage and uproar whenever an actor/director STILL get jobs even though hes/shes bad, or a reboot isnt "as good" as the original. Although it might be baffling, I must say after a few reality checks I find getting infuriated over these things are kinda petty...
I think Bob falls into baiting a flamewar because he's realized that he doesn't know how to say anything besides "I like this movie" or "I don't like this movie" (to which he now adds "And you're stupid if you do like it"). He'd lose his job here if his reviews were simply 15 seconds.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
misterprickly said:
Let me get this straight... A love triangle movie, thinly based on the Spy vs Spy comics, DOESN'T WORK!?

This is a complete surprise.

This is what I was hoping for...

And give it an ending like in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
Yeah, that was the first thing that came to my mind to, when will humanity learn?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
But overall Tom Hardy is pretty awesome, I can't wait to see him as Bane.
I've only ever seen Tom Hardy doing what he does best; Being an insane roid raging madman (Bronson, and as Bill Sykes in Oliver Twist). This is why he'll be perfect as Bane, given he's allowed the room to unleash the crazy.[/quote]

Tom Hardy was good in WAZ as a crazy gang member.

eclipsed_chemistry

Dec 9, 2009
Adventurer2626 said:
In a movie, it's called romance; in real life it's called stalking. Does not compute.
Nope, it's only called stalking when you don't pass the minimum, arbitrary threshold for "hotness" because if you're handsome as hell, you can get away with just about anything. If you're hot, it's sweet, if you're ugly, it's creepy and you're a loser.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I'm glad someone finally mentioned True Lies. Ever since I saw that film as a youngster in the 90's I thought -- does no one else see this? The entire middle of this movie is like pointless subjugation of his wife. Thanks for the vindication Bob.