Escape to the Movies: Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Dr. Seuss's grave spinning could power a small German city if you just wrapped him in copper wire and set him next to a magnet.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
crotalidian said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Lorax commercial for an SUV. I trust any irony is lost on those that ordered its production.
It is a HYBRID SUV...
Thank you for pointing that out. That's the point of the Loax supporting the SUV. I think the Lorax looks like a great movie to see with my Nephew.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
wintercoat said:
Shotgun Guy said:
Dinnerman said:
I love how everybody hates Tim and Eric, but can't articulate it. Tell me WHY you hate Tim and Eric. Don't just say "it sux lololol".

I, for one, think Tim and Eric are fucking hilarious.
I think you are the only person to say that so far, I like them a lot too, these people take things way too fucking seriously. Tim and Eric are awesome.
QUIT NOT LIKING WHAT I LIKE!!!11!!1@2

*shivers* The thought of a 2 hour long Tim & Eric episode makes me want to crawl into a hole. They're the most horrible "comedy" duo I've ever seen. Their shows are bad and they should feel bad.
Haha, what? I didn't say you had to like it, that's fine that you don't, opinions are fantastic! I just wanted express mine, especially considering we seem to be in the minority.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
What's weird to me is that in The big picture this week, Bob said he doesn't get much time to watch TV. Therefore he must prioritise this over other programs...why?

Dinnerman said:
I love how everybody hates Tim and Eric, but can't articulate it. Tell me WHY you hate Tim and Eric. Don't just say "it sux lololol".
That's because it's easier to explain why something is funny (which you didn't do), than why it isn't. Being not funny is the natural state of most stuff in the universe e.g. wallpaper, apples, the colour blue, the 2nd law of thermodynamics. It's up to the people who find something funny to explain WHY it's meant to be funny. I know if you try to explain a joke you often kill it, but since the jokes are dead to me already - can you try?

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
ANImaniac89 said:
Dinnerman said:

I, for one, think Tim and Eric are fucking hilarious.

There "humor" is based on simple annoying repulsive gross out moments that frequently border on the homophobic and tasteless, Anti-humor is not funny even when done well (which they don't). They get whatever washed up hack/failure "celebrity" ( Weird Al, Marilyn Manson, Zach Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt, Jeff Goldblum, David Cross the list goes on) that they can find to do pointless shit and make it seem like they have some kind of deep cult following (which I prey to God they don't).
In the end all it is is a waste of time and money. There Style doesn't even work in 15 minutes intervals, so adding another 75+ minutes to it in my mind could qualify as lite torture. And Yes I've seen the damn movie (a friend made me watch it after I lost a bet)
The scene that Moviebob couldn't put into Family friendly terms that was inter-cut with the "sex" scene is of Tim in a bathtub being shit on(which in retrospect kinda sums up how I feel about them) Truly these men are deep visionary's with there fingers on the pulse of comedy.
Look I know humor is subjective and that everyone has there own opinions on what they think is funny or not. But ever since the first episode of Tom Goes to the Mayor up until a few hours ago I had yet to find ANYONE who legitimately found them to be funny or entertaining. And now the revelation that not only do you people exist but are willing to defend them. Well it makes me fear for the future and the damage your kind will do to the gene pool.
Isn't it fun to be stuck up and condescending? I have never even heard of this show before but to say that you "fear for the gene pool" because someone has a different sense of humor then you is just such a incredibly stupid and stuck up thing to say its not even funny.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Movie bob's Rather unusual insight into what he thinks tim and eric is about is like most explanations of an art form. It doesn't really explain the art so much as the explainers perspective of existence highlighted by the art. He apparently considers it a thoughtful commentary on the suffering of middle and lower class America who is apparently drowning in figurative garbage. And I suppose one would think that if one had a low opinion of their fellow man to begin with.

Personally I watched Tom goes to the mayor. Why did I watch it? I have no idea. It's weirdness perplexed me and thus it kept me returning even though it was more annoying and weird than actually funny. The tim and eric awesome show was just disturbingly bizarre and lacking all forms of coherency that even Tom goes the mayor offered. Oddly enough adult swim was at it's best when it borrowed from things that pre-existed making them into a satire of just re-airing them wholesale not to mention grabbing good animes to watch.

When they started filling there lineup with things they themselves made it was apparent that Adult Swim had a horribly low opinion of their demographic or they are creatively bankrupt and can only make different variations of shows that are Strange, Weird, Gross, or intentionally cheap and worthless looking. And yes. I did describe almost all of their shows at once in no particular order. I'm just tired of this gross out whacked out game, shows like this do to us these days. Can humor be a little bit classier and dignified? Something akin to the old days?

psilontech

Nov 6, 2010
Tim and Eric is the worst thing on television. A f**king commercial for it comes on and I'll change the channel. My hated for it is so deep I would rather watch a Jersey Shore marathon while rubbing Bengay on my scrotum than a single episode of this drivel.

gring

Sep 14, 2010
Thanks for the perspective/opinion MovieBob. I enjoyed your breakdown of the show and how you see it as more then just a bunch of "weird humor", while still being mostly just weird humor. However, I wish you had given it without having to go through the entire story of the movie from top to bottom. It kind of ruins the surprise of seeing it fresh. I think fans of Tim and Eric were probably going to see it anyways, and personally, I'm at the point where I'd like to know as little about the story's content before I see the film so its all completely new to me. I generally know before whether or not beforehand if I'm going to see a movie, or I'll even go see a movie if I hear its a "good movie" or even "worth watching" from enough people. But generally speaking, I hate watching trailers because they usually spoil too much for me (which is actually great for movies I never planned on seeing because then it's "okay, now I REALLY don't have to see it" but for movies I'm actually interested in I usually end up having to close my eyes and ears and hum to myself softly in the theater).

But personal preference aside, I've noticed that you've been doing this a lot where you breakdown the movies entire story progression in 14 seconds of fast speak, and I feel like if you just link the trailer in the review or something for a "HEY IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT THIS MOVIES ABOUT CLICK HERE" would probably handle it best. Generally speaking, trailers and even summaries of movies in YahooMovies or something seems to do all that stuff anyways, so I don't see the need for you to do it on your show.

But of course, in the end it's your show, you get to run it how you want, but I'm just putting my opinion out and what you do with it is entirely up to you, because I'll still be a fan of your work.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Sweet. If there had been a reasonable way for me to actually get to Tim and Eric this weekend I would have checked it out. Sadly, I'll probably have to wait for the video release to see the delightful (dickless, if anybody recalls) William Atherton.

Still, Project X should be pretty easy to get to this weekend. That movie was absolutely pimp. I love seeing how many reviewers hate it for its immorality, its portrayal of teenagers as shallow and stupid and its portrayal of popularity as dependent upon who can throw the biggest party or be the most promiscuous. Seriously, have those reviewers met or ever been teenagers? Shallow does not begin to describe the reality of the popularity-obsessed teenager. I think the reviewers were just upset by how realistically the film portrayed the fantasies and mindsets of teens. Too close to home, as it were.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I honesly didn't know this existed until a few minutes ago I have absolutly 0 intrest in it. Parts of it honestly sound funny, but I have a pathological hatred for 'scatological' humor and that discription you gave of ne of the movie's set pieces has made me want to avoid this movie like the plague.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Marmooset said:
You didn't review this week's site-sponsored release [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/project_x_2011/]?
On the other hand, that may be part of the agreement.
The Escapist hasn't reached the level of Journalistic FAIL that GameSpot has, but that may yet still happen.

Keep it classy, People.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
RJ 17 said:
Didn't even watch the review...I've sworn never to watch anything involving those to just horribly...indescribably stupid jackasses. Seriously though, I challenge anyone to accurately describe who/what their target audience is without saying "the types of freaks that get stuffed into lockers or perform school shootings" because those two are obvious.
It's for fans of surreal humor, and until reading this thread, I had no idea so many people hated it. It's definitely my favorite kind of humor.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Mydogisblue said:
RJ 17 said:
Didn't even watch the review...I've sworn never to watch anything involving those to just horribly...indescribably stupid jackasses. Seriously though, I challenge anyone to accurately describe who/what their target audience is without saying "the types of freaks that get stuffed into lockers or perform school shootings" because those two are obvious.
It's for fans of surreal humor, and until reading this thread, I had no idea so many people hated it. It's definitely my favorite kind of humor.
No. Surreal humor is that which is found in the anime/manga Bobobo-bobo-Bobobo. Tim and Eric is for people that find having crap and vomit smeared across faces is funny. There's nothing "surreal" about that...it's humor based on being disgusting and bordline homoerotic.

And yeah, I won't judge you or the people you talk to...but I've never heard of a "group" of Tim and Eric fans. Everyone I've ever met that has seen the show says it's absolutely horrible and was the herald of the downfall of Adult Swim when the show first came out.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
I'd rather see a review of The Hunger Games. Jeesh, Tim and Eric are the fucking worst. They're the reason adult swim brought on saul of the mole men, and all that other stupid shit that's just a bunch of stoners laughing at their own jokes. At least they still have venture bros.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Srkkl said:
Tim and Eric are [ ... ] the reason adult swim brought on saul of the mole men, and all that other stupid shit [ ... ]
Thank thine stars of fortune that you didn't grow up during the 1970's, when Saturday morning children's television fare included H.R. Pufnstuf, Lidsville, The Bugaloos, The Krofft Supershow, and Ark II. These form part of the satirical foundation for Saul of The Mole Men.

Unfortunately, SoTMM's funniest bit is at the very beginning of the very first episode.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Huh. Out of interest, I just looked them up. Seems their kind of humour just doesn't resonate with me. Very slapsticky, very visual, very "American" in a way (not a bad thing, just a genre of comedy that I could never really understand).

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but this is one movie that is safe from me. Sorry, guys. I'm one of the people that hated their shows.