Escape to the Movies: Total Recall

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Wow, glad to see other people noticing Bob's Bah-sten accent. I noticed that it wasn't constant, either. Does he normally try to tone it down, which is why it was a lot more obvious this time?

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Way too fahgettable!

Didn't even know you had that accent back there. Seems the only people who aren't embarrassed by their accents in a professional setting are the British.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
It's been stated ad nauseum, but Bob, your Bostonian is showing.

As for the actual review, I didn't really expect much from this movie, but it's good to know I haven't missed much by not rushing out and seeing it.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
Magmarock said:
Wow, as someone who lives in Australia as soon as you said that the movie portrays the Australian region as being poor and the Britain one as being rich, I was like "Mother Fuckers"
You gotta admit though, it's more clever than the more obvious choice of USA as the rich swanky superpower, and some country the U.S. is at war with being the poor worker's colony.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
minuialear said:
Magmarock said:
Wow, as someone who lives in Australia as soon as you said that the movie portrays the Australian region as being poor and the Britain one as being rich, I was like "Mother Fuckers"
You gotta admit though, it's more clever than the more obvious choice of USA as the rich swanky superpower, and some country the U.S. is at war with being the poor worker's colony.
No I don't think it's clever at all. I don't think anything about remaking a classic Schwarzenegger movie is clever at all. The idea that someone has made a story where Australia is poor and dirty and where the UK is reach and clean just shows that some American guy spent two minutes reading up on Australia history and thinks he?s been clever about it. It?s so god damn offensive that it isn?t even funny.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
Magmarock said:
minuialear said:
Magmarock said:
No I don't think it's clever at all. I don't think anything about remaking a classic Schwarzenegger movie is clever at all. The idea that someone has made a story where Australia is poor and dirty and where the UK is reach and clean just shows that some American guy spent two minutes reading up on Australia history and thinks he?s been clever about it. It?s so god damn offensive that it isn?t even funny.
I didn't say it was clever in general, nor did I say the idea of a remake in general is clever. Just that it's more clever than doing the typical "USA wins and is better than everyone else" cliche.

I'll also say I think you're completely over-reacting to the conceit by being "so god dam offen[ded]" by it, considering it's not like they spend the entire movie (or any part of the movie, for that matter) talking about how great UK/UK imperialism is. Did you get this worked up about District 11 in Hunger Games?

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
minuialear said:
Magmarock said:
minuialear said:
Magmarock said:
I didn't say it was clever in general, nor did I say the idea of a remake in general is clever. Just that it's more clever than doing the typical "USA wins and is better than everyone else" cliche.

I'll also say I think you're completely over-reacting to the conceit by being "so god dam offen[ded]" by it, considering it's not like they spend the entire movie (or any part of the movie, for that matter) talking about how great UK/UK imperialism is. Did you get this worked up about District 11 in Hunger Games?
Yeah I probably am over reacting. I'm not angry at you at all, I just can't believe they remade this. I mean what's next Robo cop Conan (oh wait they did that) Hollywood is really pissing me off.

Mr_Jellyfish

Jan 11, 2011
He's probably right about Total Recall, but every time Bob praises The Avengers, doubt creeps into my mind...

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Bob (and everyone else who thinks that 1990s movie was the best) are you looking through nostalgia glasses again?
I personally liked this movie better than The Dark Knight Rises
(Total Recall is the only movie I paid to watch twice this year)
Really, 1990s movie was ok, but not great
[dodges]
I said not great, STOP THROWING ROCKS AT ME!
New movie is solid science fiction movie that MAKES SENSE (something that most science fiction movies often forget) and it is as interesting as 1990s version.
By my account this makes new version at least by one point better
(not to mention better melee scenes)

P.S. Anyone else thinks that Kate Beckinsale reminds Sandra Bullock in this movie.
P.P.S. What makes me scared is Robocop remake. While Total Recall was outdated movie, Robocop1 mostly is still up to date (thematically and even technologically). So I don't see the purpose of the remake. But to be honest, if new Robocop is as at least as good as new Total Recall, then I will check it.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
Scrustle said:
Bob's accent was coming through a bit in this one, especially when he said Schwarzenegger.

One thing I've noticed about this movie from the trailers and stuff is that it seems to think that in the future 90% of the human race is 25 years old. That really puts me off for some reason.
Heh, I dident notice until now. Youre right though. I guess that is why it reminded me so much of "in time".

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
frizzlebyte said:
Wow, glad to see other people noticing Bob's Bah-sten accent. I noticed that it wasn't constant, either. Does he normally try to tone it down, which is why it was a lot more obvious this time?
He tried one without toning it down and every comment was about his accent, just like now. So he started to tone it down again, I guess the internet is not ready. BTW is it not called a dialect?