Escape to the Movies: Toy Story 3

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Soylent Bacon said:
Wait wait wait, Toy Story 2 is good?? And Toy Story 3 is good???

I seem to have made the fatal mistake of judging a book by its cover, I wrote these two off as crappy sequels milking a franchise, Shrek style.
Pixar is not Dreamworks. They actually hire writers and get voice actors, not just celebrities. The latter part of that statement may need some clarification. With many animated features, especially from Dreamworks, I have a hard time separating the celebrity doing the voice from whatever they seem to be in other films or in real life interviews, so it just seems like another film starring Mike Meyers, Cameron Diaz, and Eddy Murphy. With Pixar films, even if it's Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, the voices belong to the characters I'm seeing on screen and not a couple of comedians or whoever. The voices fit, and combined with great writing and character development, Pixar films will be the ones I raise my soon to be son or daughter with.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Grey_Focks said:
Oh dammit...I'm going out on a first date with a girl, and I just haaaaad to suggest the one movie that could make me cry in public. This could be bad. I think my only course of action is to dehydrate myself so there are no tears to be shed....that, or I make a last minute suggestion to see "Splice" or something.
Or just bawl like a baby and completely win her heart. Girls love a sensitive side.

Adamc-mh

Jun 6, 2010
Flying Dagger said:
Adamc-mh said:
not to be an arse but bridge of terabitha was terible I poited out the ending as a joke at the start and thats what actually happened and the last bit wasn't sad I mean mabye a little sad but not enough to make you cry
Really?
The little girl dying, it being her best friend's fault because he wanted to be alone with the teacher, losing his only friend and knowing that it was his fault?

The ending wasn't even Pan's labyrinth style death where there's a case of "maybe death was a release, and she's in a better place now"

Saying at the beginning "the girl dies" doesn't begin to mean that you worked out the plot. And if you don't have the emotional depth to attach yourself to the characters to feel the boys loss at least, if not the horrifying tragedy of a child's life cut short, then I pity you.

sure its a sad moment but I just dislike everything about it the acting wasn't very good which made it suffer because It made characters less real sure it was defently trying its hardest to be a sad movie but I'm not trying to start an arguement its just what.I think I might watch it again cause its been a year since I last seen it but I'm sure it isn't just me who dislikes it

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Zhukov said:
Wait... hang on... there's a Toy Story 3? How the bloody hell did I not hear about this?

Oh well, I have now.

Also, did anyone else think for a second there that he was saying it was a bad movie? Right around the "emotional equivalent of a jellyfish" line? Or was it just me?

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I do feel old now. Thanks for that. You bastard.
I actually thought the same. Luckily it wasn't like that, and I saw the movie anyway. Surprisingly great movie, being a second sequel and all. I would almost go as far as to say that it's the best in the series.

escapistraptor

Dec 1, 2009
Wall-E: Tears streaming down my face
Up: Tears streaming down my face, snot starting to drip
Toy Story 3: Tears, snot coming down so fast it was literally bubbling, gasping for air
What next Pixar? Gonna make me cut myself in the theater?

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I think the reason why some people thought this was going to be a cheap sequel is the same reason why in the end Pixar's movies work the way they do. The way I see it, Pixar has a marketing strategy worth its weight in gold: sell the movie as a light-hearted family comedy in the trailers, usually with a little Action-Adventure thrown in for good measure, only to catch people off guard when they realize how deep and well-developed the movie is, even for an animated one.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Woody's last line of dialogue (before the credits) made me smile. THAT'S when the tears were about to roll.

Apr 29, 2010
If I had known it came out down here this weekend, I would have ran, literally ran to the theater. But, because most movies take around 6 or so months to come out in Costa Rica, I thought the same thing would happen with Toy Story 3. Man, I even have the first 2 movies on VHS.

B Goy

Jan 5, 2010
I remember when Dreamworks was a worthy opponent to Pixar you know.

When saying you liked Shrek meant you liked actual comedy. But Dreamworks has assumed that now that Blue Sky is done with Ice Age they can put whatever they want without consequence.

But Pixar knows that sequels need effort to do them that you should only do sequels when you are sure its as good or better than the first.

Now Pixar is our only mainstream source of good quality CG film's.

There should be a documentary called 'Pixar or How I learned to stop worrying and love monopolies.'

Limzz

Apr 16, 2010
The movie was simply awesome. Personally I don't trust Movie Bob after he said Prince of Persia was good. I walked out of that shitpile after half an hour.

Mister Mollusc

Jun 12, 2010
Apparently I need to go watch The Brave Little Toaster again. I remember something bad happening to the lamp but he recovered if I recall.

Glad to hear Toy Story hasn't fizzled out on it's third run.

vegetable13

May 10, 2010
I saw this today and walked out drying tears. The last five minutes killed; I was crying so hard the people in the row in front turned around. I'm the same age as Andy so I know what its like to have to move on, but I don't think I will ever give up on playing with my toys.

Hey_look_a_cat

Dec 31, 2008
If i may
I was the idiot, bawling like a baby, who screamed out the claw when the LGMs saved the day, and I was also the one person who got Barbie's pro-democracy speech.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
It's been two days since I saw the movie, and it's still the one thing primarily on my mind. You know a movie's good when it's all you think about days afterward.