Escape to the Movies: Trailer Park - Star Wars, Jurassic World & Terminator

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Trailer Park - Star Wars, Jurassic World & Terminator

Bob reviews a few of the latest high profile trailers.

Watch Video

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
I was kinda hoping for a review of Horrible Bosses 2. I just saw it last night and it seems like the kind of thing he'd review. Instead we get the third straight video from him about Jurassic World. And I give no god damn fucks about that, Star Wars or Terminator.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I had the same reaction to the Terminator trailer. It wasn't what I was expecting. But if they're going to do some kind of reboot, I can't think of a better way to do it.

The Star Wars trailer wasn't great for me, but the bit with the X-wings and the end piece with the Falcon made up for the ridiculous lightsaber and droid designs.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
I'm sorry but while I understand the nostalgia behind these three franchises, I think that they just don't click for me

I'm 20, I say Jurassic Park, the first Terminator and all the Star Wars movies but ever since then, I've seen different and perhaps better from my anime and other movies. I bring up the Raid and action fans will typically say it's better than any of the Terminator or Star Wars movies. Crazy fantasy world with insane world and lore, I got the Fate franchise for that. Robots and cyberpunk, meet Psycho Pass and Ghost in the Shell. Jurassic Park is actually original compared to the other stuff i've seen but I'm skeptical about the hybrid concept and frankly, the story will be too dumb.

Either I'm growing too old and am demanding better or at least different from my nostalgia or I never had that strong an attachment

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
I bring up the Raid and action fans will typically say it's better than any of the Terminator or Star Wars movies.
Eventhough you can't really compare them to eachother at all? Seeing as Terminator and Star Wars had an actual plot.

OT: The new Terminator trailer looks horrible. It just oozes fanfiction, and from the looks of it makes it so the first movie never happened. I'm sorry, but I can't see that as anything but a big 'fuck you' to the franchise. Topped off by both John Conner and Kyle Reese being played by the most gingerbread men of all gingerbread men.

The new Star Wars I honestly don't care much about, and Jurassic World at least looks like a step up from the last two sequels, though that's not saying much.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
...Either I'm growing too old and am demanding better or at least different from my nostalgia or I never had that strong an attachment
Yeah, that is probably it.

All the people that I have talked about that seems to be positive about a new Terminator do so almost only because of the presence of Schwarzenegger in it. The same with Star Wars and that scene with the Millennium Falcon, or the dinosaurs not changing despite the new knowledge on the field.

Not that I think they can't be good movies (although, statistically, there is a fairly good chance some of them aren't), but so far, all the promotional material seems to say "remember when this was cool?...", which is fine by me, but not going to turn many people that don't share that nostalgia...

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Izanagi009 said:
I bring up the Raid and action fans will typically say it's better than any of the Terminator or Star Wars movies.
Eventhough you can't really compare them to eachother at all? Seeing as Terminator and Star Wars had an actual plot.

OT: The new Terminator trailer looks horrible. It just oozes fanfiction, and from the looks of it makes it so the first movie never happened. I'm sorry, but I can't see that as anything but a big 'fuck you' to the franchise. Topped off by both John Conner and Kyle Reese being played by the most gingerbread men of all gingerbread men.

The new Star Wars I honestly don't care much about, and Jurassic World at least looks like a step up from the last two sequels, though that's not saying much.
I counter your raid argument with the Raid: Retribution which has a infernal affairs style plot in it and kept me invested and engaged with the circumstances

As for Terminator, yeah, I had a sneaking suspicion it felt self-indulgent

Star Wars is on thin ice for me and Jurassic World is just there.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
"Come with me, if you want to suffer bad acting" I still love her eyebrows, though.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
hermes200 said:
Izanagi009 said:
...Either I'm growing too old and am demanding better or at least different from my nostalgia or I never had that strong an attachment
Yeah, that is probably it.

All the people that I have talked about that seems to be positive about a new Terminator do so almost only because of the presence of Schwarzenegger in it. The same with Star Wars and that scene with the Millennium Falcon, or the dinosaurs not changing despite the new knowledge on the field.

Not that I think they can't be good movies (although, statistically, there is a fairly good chance some of them aren't), but so far, all the promotional material seems to say "remember when this was cool?...", which is fine by me, but not going to turn many people that don't share that nostalgia...
or people who share that nostalgia but also have found stuff that does their jobs better.

In the decade or so since their last releases, the internet has exposed my generation that had watched these when young to stuff from overseas or just older classics. Again, I have anime to replace a lot of what these movies do and more.

At this point, some of these older movies feel more like relics than anything genuine in quality and these newer movies don't make me feel confident.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Terminator seems quite fan-ficky, but it can't possibly blow up in the story like Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas and Halo 4 did.

And I guess cheap-looking = nostalgic for the Star Wars trailer, but it's still cheap looking.

PiercedMonk

Feb 26, 2010
Much as I love Star Wars and Jurassic Park, I think I'm way more excited about Jupiter Ascending than based solely off the trailers. That looks super fun. Of course, Jurassic Park and Star Wars are fun, too, but Jupiter Ascending is new and [so far] untarnished, where as I've also consumed a lot of bad media from both the established franchises.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
OT: The new Terminator trailer looks horrible. It just oozes fanfiction, and from the looks of it makes it so the first movie never happened.
All franchised stories are just legally approved fanfictions anyway. If anything, I like the more free nature of the other kind of fanfiction, their only problem is the lack of production values. A high budget official sequel with that mentality, is far better than the bland, careful "canon" building of most official franchises.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Entitled said:
Casual Shinji said:
OT: The new Terminator trailer looks horrible. It just oozes fanfiction, and from the looks of it makes it so the first movie never happened.
All franchised stories are just legally approved fanfictions anyway. If anything, I like the more free nature of the other kind of fanfiction, their only problem is the lack of production values. A high budget official sequel with that mentality, is far better than the bland, careful "canon" building of most official franchises.
Most fanfiction however is this type of self insertion stuff. Basically taking the original story and genderflipping characters or putting in a new protagonist. That's what this new Terminator movie is shapping up to be. They literally seem to be taking the original movie and even the sequel and mashing them together into nonsense.

Watching that trailer highly reminded me of this...

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I feel kinda cautiously optimistic about Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Jurassic World. It's the new Terminator that has me very iffy. All three look impressive judging from the trailers, but its hard to base how the final product will turn out just from trailers alone. Basically a "wait and see" period until 2015 hits.

As for Hollywood constantly making sequels, prequels, reboots, and what have you, its mostly their latest episode of "follow the trend". Until Hollywood stops going for easy sells and tries once again to man up and create original stuff, this is what we're getting. And if you want more original ideas on screen, start supporting it rather than throwing a cry-baby tantrum about it and do jack-squat to support anything that is original.

C.TYR

Dec 30, 2013
Oh, come on, Bob, you chose this over looking at the Birdman movie?
Micheal Keaton is phenomenal in that movie, man!

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Izanagi009 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Izanagi009 said:

I counter your raid argument with the Raid: Retribution which has a infernal affairs style plot in it and kept me invested and engaged with the circumstances
the first raid did have a plot but it was straight forward. A police team is betrayed by their superior in order to take down a drug ring in which on of the drug pushers is the raiding officers brother who broke away from a family of cops.
Technically Dredd has less of a plot and they're almost the same movie, no one criticizes it for that.
Though in terms of investment, we all knew that what to expect from Dredd (apart from a decent movie) The Raid excelled in it's action but turned out to be able to stand on its own because it wasn't how or why they got there it was about how they survive. Raid 2 wasn't even expected to have a sequel so they made the obvious improvements to story.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
C.TYR said:
Oh, come on, Bob, you chose this over looking at the Birdman movie?
Micheal Keaton is phenomenal in that movie, man!
He actually covered that in an intermission article a few weeks ago.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
When i heard Emilia Clarke was going to play Sarah Connor i wasn't convinced she was a good fit for that character and the trailer hasn't done anything to change my opinion.

Though to be fair i can't think of anyone who could do a better job than Lynda Hamilton, I dunno maybe Jennifer Lawrence???

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm excited about all those trailers. The Star Wars one has a few flaws in it for me (I do not like how the camera follows the Falcon through that entire shot because it doesn't feel like Star Wars), but I'm totally on board for the Jurassic World and Terminator movies. Especially if the Terminator movie is going to show more of that future war with purple laser guns.