Escape to the Movies: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Jobbie

Aug 14, 2010
CHILL THE F*** OUT BOB!!! Yes you are being Mr. L33t, and I have heard hormone flavored 16 year old girls complain less.

kuroikitsune

Jul 2, 2011
SlothfulCobra said:
LasseZ said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao3FuGEGcU8

This is so fitting!
So that's where people impotently yelling that they're mad as hell comes from.
SIGH!

It's from Network (1976). It won 4 Academy Awards and was nominated for another 6. Yeah...

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
I was half hoping that this movie was going to be really good, just so that Bob would have to go back on his 'this movie will be really shitty!' assumptions for once.

That said, he'd probably give it a bad review in that situation anyway because Michael Bay has shit all over his precious comic books once again.

Oh yeah, and don't call people idiots for liking this film if you expect them to forgive you for being elitist two minutes later...

As for my opinion, I have no doubt that this will be an objectivley bad movie, but the giant explosions and robots fighting will probably cause me to enjoy it all the same.

We shall see...

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Seriously? Did they really need to have Spock recite half the catch phrases from the Star Trek movies? I guess when you hire Leonard Nimoy you get the rights to all his lines from previous movies as well.....

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Opinions will always be opinions. Christ, God knows I ponder each day how amazing it is that so many people can enjoy the shitty music on MTV and mainstream, corporate radio for only one example. Why am I such a perfect man, with such excellent taste in music, film, games, etc?

I agree with you, I really do. I'm sobbing as I write: "How can anyone pay 12? to see Baysplosions, US Army fanboyism and two uninteresting people getting tossed around in a movie about Transformers? All this in incredible migrain inducing 3D! Why don't people strive for more??"

But that's just it. Say it out loud and you'll always get chewed out by the overwhelming popular opinion that happens to totally disagree with you.

That said, hang in there Bob! I for one like your show. Hope Captain America is good too.

Flameshields on!

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
the thing that killed this movie for me was the unnecessary comedic secenes and the every five second's slow-mo, plus megan fox could at least act better then the victory secret modle. I don't know I think I could edit this movie to be better and get rid of alot of junk other then that this movie is an okay xplosion movie, personlly I liked super 8 better but the year is not over yet maybe a oscar worthy movie will appear.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
MajorDolphin said:
Seriously? Did they really need to have Spock recite half the catch phrases from the Star Trek movies? I guess when you hire Leonard Nimoy you get the rights to all his lines from previous movies as well.....
Yeah, they actually had him say "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", probably the most iconic line from Wrath of Khan. Ehren Kruger and Michael Bay are both a couple of exploitative hacks who deserve every bit of criticism lobbed at them. They should just go and make a Call of Duty movie considering how much Bay loves jacking off to pictures of tanks and military hardware

Also, Spoony and the Cinema Snob's reviews. They're deliciously nasty:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2011/06/29/vlog-6-29-11-transformers-bark-at-the-moon/

http://thecinemasnob.com/2011/06/29/midnight-screening-transformers-dark-of-the-moon.aspx

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Avistew said:
Condor219 said:
I still don't know why they kept referring to the "Dark Side of the Moon". Is Vader there or something? Doesn't the moon rotate and orbit around the Earth, that rotates and orbits around the Sun (that orbits and rotates around the center of the universe)? How can there be a "dark side"?
The Moon rotates around the Earth, and on itself, but it takes the exact same time for it to rotate on itself as it does to rotate around Earth - as a result it always presents the same side to us, so there is indeed a hidden side of the Moon, that we cannot see from Earth. We'd need to fly into space, go past the Moon and turn around.

My guess is that by Dark Side they meant the side we cannot see.
I did not know this. Though technically it wouldn't be the "dark side", because that side furthest from Earth on the Moon would still receive sunlight when between the Earth and the Sun, but at least now I can excuse that.

Learn something every day.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
Johnny Impact said:
Instinct Blues said:
I said it about the whole Transformers franchise because the show was basically just for selling the toys to little kids.....Its just obvious which ones are clearly desperate attempts of relieving people of their troublesome money............
The ones you personally are not interested in, right?
No just the ones that are clearly cash grabs and I wasn't only referring to Transformers in this post. I was referring to all forms of entertainment that are just to make ridiculous amounts of money for the company with minimal effort. For example Hangover 2 is one of those cash grabs.

P.S. I don't hate Transformers......I'm not sure if there was some miscommunication in which you thought I hated the Transformers.
This is what I meant by hypocrisy. Your repeated crapping on the toys, the show, and everything to do with Transformers history, coupled with your "to hell with respecting the material, keep that stuff out of my movie" comments regarding the live-action flicks, reveals that you do hate it. Which is perfectly okay. Just stand by your opinion.
I've never even seen the cartoon so I don't even know if I like it or not. I have to admit the toys look pretty cool, but I'm not really all that hung up on the Transformers history because I have never seen the show. I wouldn't care if they put that stuff in the movie, but I think its pretty clear that they weren't gonna do that from the first live action movie. So to ask for that now this late in the game when within the movie franchise they've set up other things that precedence over that because the people who are going to see have obviously seen the other two and if they started adding in fan service now people would be upset (aside from the 30 something nerds who are finally getting what they want). Also my bringing up that the Transformers cartoon was created to sell toys is not me crapping on it its just me pointing out the truth.

I'm more crapping on MovieBob than anything else because I'm tired of his fanboy fueled rants that pose as movie reviews and maybe somehow the cartoon got caught up in it. If you want a thought provoking movie about GIANT TALKING ROBOTS FIGHTING OVER EARTH maybe just maybe your hopes were a little to high.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Aiddon said:
MajorDolphin said:
Yeah, they actually had him say "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", probably the most iconic line from Wrath of Khan. Ehren Kruger and Michael Bay are both a couple of exploitative hacks who deserve every bit of criticism lobbed at them. They should just go and make a Call of Duty movie considering how much Bay loves jacking off to pictures of tanks and military hardware

Also, Spoony and the Cinema Snob's reviews. They're deliciously nasty:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2011/06/29/vlog-6-29-11-transformers-bark-at-the-moon/

http://thecinemasnob.com/2011/06/29/midnight-screening-transformers-dark-of-the-moon.aspx
I was sitting there watching that movie and I kept getting this strong feeling that they were ripping scenes and ideas from other popular movies. That line was just the most obvious. I may have to watch it again but I'm not exactly willing to shell out more money for it.

Btw, wtf is the industries obsession with falling buildings? 2012, BF3, MW3, and probably the longest scene in the entire Transformers movie series to name the most recent. I'd blame 9/11 but all of these buildings are breaking in half...

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
Condor219 said:
I did not know this. Though technically it wouldn't be the "dark side", because that side furthest from Earth on the Moon would still receive sunlight when between the Earth and the Sun, but at least now I can excuse that.
Well, they wouldn't be [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Moon_%28disambiguation%29] the first people [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon] to call it that. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64#t=1m59s] It's apparently its name in English.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
MajorDolphin said:
I was sitting there watching that movie and I kept getting this strong feeling that they were ripping scenes and ideas from other popular movies. That line was just the most obvious. I may have to watch it again but I'm not exactly willing to shell out more money for it.

Btw, wtf is the industries obsession with falling buildings? 2012, BF3, MW3, and probably the longest scene in the entire Transformers movie series to name the most recent. I'd blame 9/11 but all of these buildings are breaking in half...
I actually would point to the WTC incident. Why? Because dipshits think it's automatically evocative and meaningful, but show NO respect towards the people affected by it because of the exploitation.

Giandroid

Jun 15, 2010
Scalia already lost all his cool points (and then some) for throwing the Wal-mart women's case out. Now things are gonna be a whole lot worse for a lot of people working for companies as large as Wal-mart for a very long time... all because of him and the other justices.

Valkyr71

Jul 2, 2011
Bob a few things;

1. Dont throw your politics into your movie reviews. Your hatred of the right shows through rather regularly in your reviews. This site is not for you to voice your political views its for reviews of movies, all things geek, and Americana.

2. Way to insult your audience. Completely unprofessional, Busch league, amatuer, and childish all in one fell swoop (yes I spelled Busch league like the beer because that is where the entomology of the phrase comes from).

3. Get over the hatred of Bay. You really don't need to bash him for 3 minutes of the 5 minutes and 43 seconds of the review. Tell us why you disagree with his style of film creation and be done with it.

Overall I give your review a 2 out of 5. You start off pretty well for the first 1.5 minutes or so saying what you thought was ok about the movie and start in on what you thought stunk about the movie and then you bash the audiences who go to see it (see 2 above). You then spit vitriol @ bay, the political right, the action film genre, and Shia Lebouff for about 3 minutes and then you end up whining about how tired you are of the summer blockbuster, but then. Ohh yeah and dont forget the "dont call me an elitist" whine/rant.

So you did 5min 43sec of production and only about 1.5-1.75 mins are of any quality. Disappointed in you Bob, really disappointed in you. I generally like your movie reviews whether I disagree with you on the particular movie or not. This one was absolutey horrible and really rather insulting.

P.S. Whats wrong with Bay's love of the military. Theres so many directors and hollywood folks that love to hate us and think that we are hired thugs (see most James Cameron films)
thats its kinda nice to see someone in hollywood who thinks we are something thats fun to make look good.

diggy140892

Jun 4, 2010
Just saw the film and thought it was a lot better than Bob says it is. Sure its far from perfect but I found it really enjoyable. I find it kinda annoying how Bob just assumes that everyone who enjoys this film is dumb. I enjoy a nice intelligent film as much as I enjoy brainless action movies.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Still Life said:
CODE-D said:
honestly its a good movie, stop whining and go see it.
Yeah, if you want a shortcut to a lobotomy it is.
did you watch it, everyone is way too harsh on this movie. Maybe all your expectations are too ungodly high or your all just sad g1 fanboys(oh my childhood....boo hoo..)
hate you moviebob.