Escape to the Movies: Transformers Revenge

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Baby Tea said:
MovieBob said:
Transformers doesn't just insult my intelligence, it OFFENDS my intelligence. My brain doesn't "turn off" far enough to make it tolerable - I'd have to be COMATOSE to not notice how stupid it is.
Well we're obviously on different wave-lengths in terms of tolerating 'stupid' to enjoy a film.
I mean, I own Kung-Pow for Pete's sake. You wanna talk terrible acting and stupid movie (Though that was for sure the point in that film)?

But whether or not Transformers was stupid or not isn't really a question to me. Sure it was! First one was dumb! And I don't doubt that this one is dumb! But why get so obviously furious about it? I'll be walking into that theatre with he mindset that this is going to be a dumb story, sub-part acting, and plenty of screen-shaking explosions that I don't get when my wife forces me to watch High School Musical (Thankfully I'm allowed to use the laptop during that time 'together'). And I obviously won't be disappointed in that regard.

But to expect more then that? Especially from Micheal Bay himself?
The guy who made Bad-Boys? Two films I wouldn't wipe my ass with?

I certainly respect that you didn't like the film Bobby (Can I call you 'Bobby'?), as we all have different tastes. I just think to get so furious about it rather pointless, and it seems to put you in a 'raging fanboy' light, rather then a 'movie critic who didn't like the film' light.
Kung Pow is an AMAZING movie, and I'm proud to own it as well. I'm eager to see this movie, as I thought the first one pretty okay, and I'm a big fan of Michael Bay, a fact to which I will admit without any irony or embarrassment. I mean, the guy made Bad Boys II. We ride together, we die together. Did you see that first car chase? The guy can film over-the-top action like few people at work nowadays.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Hmmm... this seems to have put me off from seeing it more than I already had been. Oh, and Kudos to Moviebob for referencing Home Movies.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Thyunda said:
MovieBob said:
Thyunda said:
The robot designs are ugly? Oh, here's an argument for you: IT'S NOT G1!
I could care less about a little design-revision, but these creatures are simply BAD looking. So much attention has been paid to rendering all the little gears and bits moving around to the detriment of the broader design - they're too visually busy and the eye has no "line" to follow, so they all wind up looking like indistinguishable wads of crumpled tinfoil on those rare occasions when Bay opts to use a medium-shot.

Yeah, they made Devastator do nothing but dig a hole. What were you wanting him to do? Go on a destructive rampage? IN A DESERT?
Well, for one thing, this thing is named Devastator, not Hole-Digger or whatever. It wouldn't be noticeable but for all the badly-disjointed filmmaking and complete lack of storytelling ability involved: Devastator gets this MASSIVE introduction with all the big trucks rolling up and snapping together and "holy crap, look at the size of THIS one"... and he's there to be a SHOVEL? Megatron has a minion who is (judging his scale against The Great Pyramid) somewhere in the realm of 300-350 feet tall... and he's on hole-duty?

Oh yeah. I noticed the little dig at the flames. "Optimus Prime has flames! What are we going to do?!"
I know, I know. Old gripe. But there's still no better visual metaphor for all of Bay's douchebag tendencies than the use of automotive flame-decals on a robot. If I could've gotten away with just looping Clint Eastwood's rant about car decorations from the end of Gran Torino, I would've ;)

And finally - The human characters. How do you relate to a plot about giant robots?
When the giant robots are humanoid, have faces, speak-english and emote? Easily. Hell, people (myself included) related to Wall-E just fine and Wall-E looked less human than ANY of the Transformers, didn't have a mouth and couldn't speak more than four or five words.

It's like trying to empathise with the bloody penguins from Happy Feet.
Happy Feet was awesome. Nobody gives that crazy-ass movie the credit it deserves.
Cutting about with quotes kills my brain. So I'm gonna have to simplify my responses.

First, the broader design looks good. In fact, that's the only bit that looks good. And why wouldn't a giant alien robot be made up of moving parts? What's wrong with that?

Giant robots don't have human problems. Imagine a film about Optimus Prime trying to fit in at high school.

I have to write that.

Sorry, but let me get back to my point. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is aimed at teenage guys, in the same way that Twilight is aimed at teenage girls. Guys would like the idea that even a nerd can get giant robotic friends. Sorry, ONLY a nerd can get giant robotic friends. It helps an audience get closer to a film. WALL-E pulled it off by making whiney noises and simple words, and generally being adorable. Man I loved that film. I just wanted to give the little tyke a hug. :)

I sitll don't understand your point about the flames. I will never understand that point about the flames. Optimus scans a truck. The truck has flames on it. Therefore, Optimus has flames. Why make such a big deal out of some decals? Especially since said decals work effectively on him. They let the audience know that Prime is hot stuff. :p

Did you watch Happy Feet while high...?
ITS A MOVIE ABOUT GIANT ROBOTS!

It is not supposed to have human problems!

The problem is laid out. ANCIENT GALACTIC FUCKING CIVIL WAR!

Why...why would it need shia le douchebag putting his dorky face in?

mulletmanalive

May 22, 2009
Oddly, the only points i agree with were that the twins were a waste of space and shouldn't have been there and that the military elements didn't make sense. The designs of the decepticons didn't make much sense and they weren't deceiving anyone, given that about half of them had no alternate form.

Having actually watched the original series recently, these movies just seem like the human heavy episodes of the early first and all of the Japanese seasons. As such, I really enjoyed the film, though its attempts at heart wrenching or angst were as laughable as such things always are from Hollywood.

For reference, i'm not one of the 'douchebags' bob accused the fanbase of being; i made the mistake of watching some of the other attempts to reboot the franchise over the years, including the phenomenally bad Headmasters [reasons why you don't outsource anime to Japan...]

The replicant fight was interesting as far as i'm concerned [the tongue a minor glitch], as was Prime's stand. I think the point being missed is that the Transformers are supposed to be LIFEFORMS; their design isn't that of mecha but metal organisms. Terminator over Gundam.

I think it's rather sad that Moviebob and so many others went into this movie determined not to like it and are now spreading their venom.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Simalacrum said:
Transformers = avoid. gotcha.

also, is it just me or is Moviebob becomming more and more like Yahtzee with a red background? oh wells, it isn't a bad thing :p
Not particularly. I expected someone to say something. The difference is Yahtzee is being paid to be angry. This man actually is sincerely pissed off with this film. I also don't really see the similarities between them.
I agree, does everyone think that no one has [b/]ever[/b] talked fast before Yahtzee? When you have 5 minutes to review a two and half hour you aren't gonna take your damn time to articulate. Also, OMG HE USES TEXT LIKE YAHTZEE! What do you want form him instead? Pictographs? Shove off people, Yahtzee hasn't copyrighted life itself so don't go around accusing people of posing him. If you do, I accuse you of copying me because your on the internet.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Aries_Split said:

Because, try as I might, I find it hard to care about an intergalactic civil war, unless I can some way have a part in it, at least in my own imagination. Every Transformers series, bar the Japanese ones, had human involvement. Why should that change now?

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Thyunda said:
Aries_Split said:

Because, try as I might, I find it hard to care about an intergalactic civil war, unless I can some way have a part in it, at least in my own imagination.
Well I'm sorry the world doesn't revolve around you.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Aries_Split said:
Thyunda said:
Aries_Split said:

Because, try as I might, I find it hard to care about an intergalactic civil war, unless I can some way have a part in it, at least in my own imagination.
Well I'm sorry the world doesn't revolve around you.
But if I think like this, I can pretty much guarantee a number of people are going to have a similar view.

A film which you can't relate to is a failure as a film. Always have to have a human story. Otherwise there's no story. What did you want the film to be? Two hours worth of Optimus and Megatron spouting one liners, then punching each other?
The reason why films like 'Saving Private Ryan' were such a success had nothing to do with the battle scenes, it was all the underlying emotional subplots.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
I never expected that the reviewer is getting more pissed off. I guess Michael Bay and Uwe Boll should both stay away from making movies. Ever.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Thyunda said:
Aries_Split said:

Because, try as I might, I find it hard to care about an intergalactic civil war, unless I can some way have a part in it, at least in my own imagination. Every Transformers series, bar the Japanese ones, had human involvement. Why should that change now?
Your part of it because if they [Transformers] fail.. then I believe you are what is called "fucked".

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Fantastic as always MovieBob!

I haven't seen the film, nor was I ever going to. Glad I'm not missing out on anything.

KishwaJones

Jun 26, 2009
This isn't a movie review, this is just an opportunity to push your vendetta against its director on impressionable others, regardless of whether the movie at hand was good or not.