Escape to the Movies: Tron: Legacy

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
My Friend said T:L is the best Daft Punk Music Video ever! :D

That in itself means a lot.

And Oh yes, I was around when the original show up in the cinemas.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
MovieBob said:
Tron: Legacy

This week, Bob looks at a little movie called Tron: Legacy.

Watch Video
I think they're going to call it Black Hole Reloaded. This will be followed a year later by Black Hole Revolutions. Kidding.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
It's nice to know disney didn't f**k it up like they have a habit of doing with sequels. Anywho I want to go see, oh yeah BTW, the soundtrack is like earsex!

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Oh god did he just put the Soundtrack that's ripped off of Hans Zimmer above Inception? Hahaha, fortunately Movie Bob is like the worst reviewer anyways.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Thank god I'm not the only one Jonesing for a Black Hole sequel.

Just as a question, I can't for the love of Pixar remember the third movie of the dark days of Disney. It was Tron, Black Hole, and what else?

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Ugh. I'm going to grow to hate this movie while I go back to work at the theatre, which is sad cause I really want to like it since its my kinda movie and since I liked the original.

I cant wait till I get all those people that never really cared about TRON and only watched the original in the last month or so so they could watch this one and feel like they're part of the crowd that actually likes (and more then likely loves) this movie... you could probably call it a series now, but I would wait till it has at least three movies under its belt before I called anything a series.

Or the people who didnt bother to watch he original, are going to watch this, feel they know everything and walk out with that smug look on their face and try and talk a big game with me about how much they know about the movies and how big of a fan they are.

Yes.. I have fury when it comes to bandwagoning to things when I loved them first, and dont need to douches now who wnat ot be cool cause they know this is what everyone's going ot be talking about. Cause the same people that see this that are like that are the same people that went and say The Expendables instead of Scottie P.

But yeah, I'm going ot go see it later this week (during a week day before all the kids in my area get off for winter/christmas [Lets not kid ourselves here] break) so hopefully I dont hate the movie before then.
Band-wagoning is one thing, but for people like me, who didn't even know the original Tron existed before seeing the trailer for the sequel, there's not the option to have liked it before. It's not mainstream, so it's pretty ridiculous to say people who haven't heard of it or watched the original movie more than a year before now are just getting in on the fad.

I think you're being very elite-ist. Do you expect people to come out of the theatre having enjoyed the movie and say 'yeah, that was awesome, but having only watched the original three hours ago I'm in no position to comment as to the series' themes and enjoyability.'

Get off of your high horse and accept that people can have a good time and not know everything about obscure movies you think you're more entitled to.

OT: I'm really looking forward to seeing Tron. It's shiny and big budget and has beautiful people doing wacky things in it whilst looking shiny. Daft Punk me up!

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
All in all a good review. I was going to see this movie regardless, but just once could you not reduce the female actors to just a pair of tits and actually mention if they're any good in the film?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
hah! it is CLU!! i thought it mite be that guy who was in the movie for all of 5 minutes! XD

Now im just curious how he got recompiled :D

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
You know Bob, I have to wonder why you always bring up Halo when criticizing modern game graphics (specifically, the overabundance of the Brown). The Halo games always kept things visually diverse with their color palettes.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm surprised this hasn't done better critically. And I will agree that the sleek aesthetic if WAY better than the boring, brown crap of today's games

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
I totally loved this film then again Im a computer science student and went to see it with a course mate (and a few other freinds) and we were both wearing epic nerdstalga goggles.

Having said that it does stand alone quite well, makes me think of the first Pirates film its set up this whole world to play in and now it just has to decide where to go next.

There were so many good shout outs, references and parodies though everything from.

encom is now microsoft and the new head of software is basically bill fuckmothering gates

to

"its his game now! the only winning move is not to play!"

and

The small toy things jeff bridges plays with, the spiky metal star things? just like bits from the original

I felt no small pride in turning to my non-computer savvy freind at the end of the film and saying "yea, that's basically what my course is like"

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I already have the soundtrack (special 2-disc edition yeaahhh) because I fucking love Daft Punk and I must say that it's really really good - it marries the dark, orchestral elements of say, The Dark Knight, with the typical Daft Punk electro sound. It's a match made in heaven and I love it.

Therefore, I must also check out the movie.

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
Actually the one thing that immediately told me that they used CG instead of makeup to make a younger Jeff Bridges and CLU was the mouth. People have idiosyncrasies in facial expressions and even though they got it very close a couple times, when CLU isn't talking or making a teeth bearing smile then the mouth seems lifeless.

The thing that got me was that Tron (the character) had sudden change of sides at the end with nothing leading up to it. I was following this story pretty well (if you can say that it has one besides getting out), and when Sam was pitted against him in the disc battle I said "Bet me that's Tron." Then when CLU pulled his coup and Tron gets a second disc from an enemy then the screen cuts away before we see what happens to him when CLU is about to strike I said "Who called that? Oh, wait... ME! But bet me that there's still a piece of the 'good' Tron left." Sure enough we see that his disc is 'battling' the CLU's full take over of his identity. However, at no point did we ever see anything that tipped the scales for that internal battle. So jump from one side to the other was pretty out of the blue.

The other thing that they didn't explain was what the hell Quorra's race ever really did (besides build stuff peacefully) or what they would do in the real world. I was wondering if they were trying to set it up for a sequel (it's not like the world needs another sequel of something >.>) by explaining nothing beyond 'We need to get out but not let CLU get out.'

So with Quorra in the real world and Tron being the only survivor it did seem that they were setting up for another; it's just a shame that they couldn't tell a good story for a single movie and not one you need to buy the box set in order to truly understand anything out of the storyline.

Oddly enough, when it was closer to the end of the movie I was thinking to myself that it would have been a nice mini-series if they used the same production quality, at that point I wouldn't mind certain things not being explained at first. But aren't sequels and trilogies just mini-series in disguise?