Escape to the Movies: Tron: Legacy

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
It'll be the first movie I've ever seen in 3D, so yay ^.^

My first experience with Tron was the GBA game years ago followed by the KH 2 level years later. I wasn't around when the movie released, so I kinda missed that. Did find the movie a couple years ago at a thrift store though and loved it.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I wanna make a wild guess, are those two awkward cameos Bob and Megabyte?

Pretty please?

Also, screw Black Hole 2, I wanna see a remake of Something Wicked This Way Comes, but keep it the fuck away from Tim Burton!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
JaredXE said:
I wanna make a wild guess, are those two awkward cameos Bob and Megabyte?

Pretty please?

Also, screw Black Hole 2, I wanna see a remake of Something Wicked This Way Comes, but keep it the fuck away from Tim Burton!
Agreed, it's bad enough that he's involved with a movie adaptation of Dark Shadows.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Bob, you made me smile.
When I saw Grim Lord, it brought me back to my youth.
VR Troopers ftw!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
How do you not know what Tron is, being an Escapist and I'm going to assume a gamer? I mean, even if you're only interested in tech, you cant get around it. Its Tron. Its that little cult classic that would eventually grow to be the dreams of anyone in that cult and of the gaming generation. Hell, you had to have atleast heard of Tron guy.

Also, its not an Obscure movie, again, its modern culture. I'm not saying you had to have known about it the day you had first gotten into games, but well... its like if I played halo three, wikipedia'd the rest, and went into a serious halo discussion thinking I knew everything. everyone who's been with Halo for more then a year is going ot be pissed. Or to put it another way, If I (for some god forsaken reason), went to see the Twilight movies and then started talking to a twilightie who's read the books. Or if I went to see the Harry Potter movies and talked to someone who's read the books and seen the movies.

Besides that, there's always a bit of disgust if you go to watch a revamp/remake of a movie and not see the original (it works here, just hear me out). Because people are going to ask the same two questions:
1) Have you seen the Original/first tron?
2) (If yes) What do you think of the sequel holding up to the original after being an almost 30 year gap?
Then you'll have people who have seen the original want to compare jeff bridges now to who he was then, what do you think of the characters and how they play this role in Tron and this role in Legacy and it just looks poorly when you say, "oh, I didnt even know Tron existed before I heard about htis movie." Of course you're going to get weird looks or someone's going to say something.

So no, I dont find it elitist to say that because you heard of a sequel you checked out the original and its not bandwagoning, or that its acceptable to have only heard of Tron after hearing of the sequel and then wanting to talk about it with people who have long since known about the movie and feel you are in the same intellectual level about the movie. Its not about being cool, its just about respect. I'll be glad to teach you about the original, but get ready to have a slice of humble pie while I talk and tell you. Besides, there's always tron stuff coming up in between (there was even a game called Tron 2 and people thought then we would get a sequel to tron) so to say that you havent heard of it because its obscure doesnt mean I'm Elitist, it just means you have bad tastes or no interests in movies of the 1980s era.

And no, I dont expect people to say that, but I dont want to hear later when I embarrass them talking about the original and the relevance it has on the current movie because they only watched it the week before and cant remember instances like I can. Because in my profession as an usher/staff leader of ushers, that means people get pissed with me cause i made them look dumb for simple fact that walked into to an intellectual equivalent of bringing a gun to a shoot out and not knowing how to work the damn thing.

its great if you go see the original, I just dont want people to walk up to me and act like they've always known about tron, or think they know everything because the watched the two movies in the course of a day or week's time. Most people are going to talk about this (who see it either just seeing the original or not seeing the original at all) as another great action flick with the deeper story for the nerds, where you have to be embedded in the culture to get the deeper meaning, ostracizing people like me and most other gamers who dont focus on the sports or car culture and instead prefer or also enjoy the tech culture. BUt thats just not it, there's so much more and you dont even really have to have more then a basic understanding of how a computer and its software works.

Its like people who go to see comic book based movies without reading or having prior knowledge of the source/original. Yeah, you can talk about how much you enjoy it, but dont get upset or walk off when someone who wants to talk about the finer details because you talk like you know everything about the film and then you gasping for answers like a fish out of water.

And yes, people are like that. Especially your average movie goer who only goes to something cause its:
1) Got big name stars
2) The new hot thing and you odnt want to be out of the loop
3) Looks nice and "shiny"
4) Is made by a major company
5) Has some kinda eye candy to interest you
and/or
6) Is the same tireless garbage that we've seen countless times before
I know. I clean up after them, answers countless questions that if you just took the time to take even a brief glimpse into the culture you could answer yourself, and have to stand there and listen politely while they butcher something without comprehending the finer details that I have interest in (people who go to see movies cause its "shiny" and "has a lot of explosions" while missing the plot or details).

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Koroviev said:
emeraldrafael said:
Ugh. I'm going to grow to hate this movie while I go back to work at the theatre, which is sad cause I really want to like it since its my kinda movie and since I liked the original.

I cant wait till I get all those people that never really cared about TRON and only watched the original in the last month or so so they could watch this one and feel like they're part of the crowd that actually likes (and more then likely loves) this movie... you could probably call it a series now, but I would wait till it has at least three movies under its belt before I called anything a series.

Or the people who didnt bother to watch he original, are going to watch this, feel they know everything and walk out with that smug look on their face and try and talk a big game with me about how much they know about the movies and how big of a fan they are.

Yes.. I have fury when it comes to bandwagoning to things when I loved them first, and dont need to douches now who wnat ot be cool cause they know this is what everyone's going ot be talking about. Cause the same people that see this that are like that are the same people that went and say The Expendables instead of Scottie P.

But yeah, I'm going ot go see it later this week (during a week day before all the kids in my area get off for winter/christmas [Lets not kid ourselves here] break) so hopefully I dont hate the movie before then.
As annoying as those people can be, it's their monetary support that will keep the franchise going (that may be either good or bad).
I dont have so much issue with that. You cant really tell whats good and what isnt in a movie through monetary support. As long as (if) this grows to be a series, I just dont want to to grow stale and diluted, turning from tech and little inside nerd jokes (that really arent that bad and you can learn about in five minutes of a computers class), to some mediocre run of the mill action flick that only has the resemblance to the Tron culture and original by its name. If that makes any sense.

I guess to sum that up, i just dont want this to be a hit and watch it go south fast to appease and appeal the general movie going audience.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
You had me at Daft Punk! Sounds like a good film overall; although even the hint of a sequel this early has me feeling queasy!

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
What's her name isn't really that hot. she's actually kinda weird looking in this. But Daft Punk! Must see now

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
You know, the sequel set-up thing really isn't that obtrusive. And it's very much intended for those of us who know the story of the first Tron. I'm a huge fangirl. I grew up on the first film, and I had incredible hopes for this one, and I have to say it delivered big. It may be nostalgia, but I don't care. I really adored this sequel and I'm surprised it only got a B+ from Bob. Then again, that's the lovely thing about opinions: they're all different.

I know the story is essentially formulaic and the twists are pretty predictable, but the spectacle and the characters keep anything from feeling monotonous. The whole production is atmospheric and epic, much the way of the first Star Wars film. If every idea has been done before, then at least this one does it well and with an impressive visual and auditory flare.

Personally, I can't wait to see it again.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I liked the first one but I'm doing some traveling this weekend so I'll catch it some time next week.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
blasphemous I know, but I don't actually know all that much about Tron besides... well they have "lightcycles". I heard about it two years in high school when i was reading a Manga fan translation (Thoron, turned into Tron, for fire emblem fans) and a friend shopped it to produce a lightcycle rather than the lightning it was supposed to be.

I never looked into it, and I in no way shape or form knew it was THIS popular. True what Bob said about the way the power balance has been shifting to nerds more, "Be nice to nerds, you might end up working for one."

So I was going to see this anyway because it looks like it's up my alley. Having never seen the original, I worry that I might just not fully understand it, nor the cameos or any of the major references. (yes I have had shelter...)

Is there anything important I should know going into this movie? I don't know ANYTHING about Tron.

ALso, I really hope this doesn't become like Pirates. The first movies stood well enough on it's own. Why do we need 5 or 6? Why did we need a second and third? AT least those two were tied in together, but I didn't enjoy them half as much. Maybe that's from having a pirate obsession when I was young and learning everything I can about them, but this is what separates movies from TV series isn't it? some form of "non-repetition"?

I just don't want to see something good get ruined...

Snowsongwolf

Dec 8, 2010
I gotta disagree with calling Encom Microsoft. Between their flagship product being called OS (number here), the fact that all the CEOs use company issued tablets in board meetings, and the line about "how much we're charging schools and students," I'd say it's a parody of Apple. If nothing else, consider that through school I got Windows 7 for free but Apple's trying to convince us to buy retail price iPads with student loan money for reading text books. And their last umpteen OSes released have all been some flavor of OSX.

Also, I personally didn't notice that CLU was a digital character, let alone a digital young Jeff Bridges. The one thing that DID stick out at me though is there's a scene towards the end where the lighting wasn't quite right and the reflective tape on Flyn's rave Jedi cloak looks dull silver instead of illuminated cyan.

That being said, after the release of this movie, the strategic North American supply of cyan EL wire has been decimated and may never fully recover.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Erja_Perttu said:
How do you not know what Tron is, being an Escapist and I'm going to assume a gamer? I mean, even if you're only interested in tech, you cant get around it. Its Tron. Its that little cult classic that would eventually grow to be the dreams of anyone in that cult and of the gaming generation. Hell, you had to have atleast heard of Tron guy.

Also, its not an Obscure movie, again, its modern culture. I'm not saying you had to have known about it the day you had first gotten into games, but well... its like if I played halo three, wikipedia'd the rest, and went into a serious halo discussion thinking I knew everything. everyone who's been with Halo for more then a year is going ot be pissed. Or to put it another way, If I (for some god forsaken reason), went to see the Twilight movies and then started talking to a twilightie who's read the books. Or if I went to see the Harry Potter movies and talked to someone who's read the books and seen the movies.

Besides that, there's always a bit of disgust if you go to watch a revamp/remake of a movie and not see the original (it works here, just hear me out). Because people are going to ask the same two questions:
1) Have you seen the Original/first tron?
2) (If yes) What do you think of the sequel holding up to the original after being an almost 30 year gap?
Then you'll have people who have seen the original want to compare jeff bridges now to who he was then, what do you think of the characters and how they play this role in Tron and this role in Legacy and it just looks poorly when you say, "oh, I didnt even know Tron existed before I heard about htis movie." Of course you're going to get weird looks or someone's going to say something.

So no, I dont find it elitist to say that because you heard of a sequel you checked out the original and its not bandwagoning, or that its acceptable to have only heard of Tron after hearing of the sequel and then wanting to talk about it with people who have long since known about the movie and feel you are in the same intellectual level about the movie. Its not about being cool, its just about respect. I'll be glad to teach you about the original, but get ready to have a slice of humble pie while I talk and tell you. Besides, there's always tron stuff coming up in between (there was even a game called Tron 2 and people thought then we would get a sequel to tron) so to say that you havent heard of it because its obscure doesnt mean I'm Elitist, it just means you have bad tastes or no interests in movies of the 1980s era.

And no, I dont expect people to say that, but I dont want to hear later when I embarrass them talking about the original and the relevance it has on the current movie because they only watched it the week before and cant remember instances like I can. Because in my profession as an usher/staff leader of ushers, that means people get pissed with me cause i made them look dumb for simple fact that walked into to an intellectual equivalent of bringing a gun to a shoot out and not knowing how to work the damn thing.

its great if you go see the original, I just dont want people to walk up to me and act like they've always known about tron, or think they know everything because the watched the two movies in the course of a day or week's time. Most people are going to talk about this (who see it either just seeing the original or not seeing the original at all) as another great action flick with the deeper story for the nerds, where you have to be embedded in the culture to get the deeper meaning, ostracizing people like me and most other gamers who dont focus on the sports or car culture and instead prefer or also enjoy the tech culture. BUt thats just not it, there's so much more and you dont even really have to have more then a basic understanding of how a computer and its software works.

Its like people who go to see comic book based movies without reading or having prior knowledge of the source/original. Yeah, you can talk about how much you enjoy it, but dont get upset or walk off when someone who wants to talk about the finer details because you talk like you know everything about the film and then you gasping for answers like a fish out of water.

And yes, people are like that. Especially your average movie goer who only goes to something cause its:
1) Got big name stars
2) The new hot thing and you odnt want to be out of the loop
3) Looks nice and "shiny"
4) Is made by a major company
5) Has some kinda eye candy to interest you
and/or
6) Is the same tireless garbage that we've seen countless times before
I know. I clean up after them, answers countless questions that if you just took the time to take even a brief glimpse into the culture you could answer yourself, and have to stand there and listen politely while they butcher something without comprehending the finer details that I have interest in (people who go to see movies cause its "shiny" and "has a lot of explosions" while missing the plot or details).

Wow.

You really threw the bottle out of the pram on that one, didn't you, that's one hell of a response.

Seeing it would take too long to answer all of your points, plus the fact you'd decide I was wrong anyway despite the fact this is all speculative opinion and probably irritation inviting phrasing, I choose to simply say this.

Thanks, but no thanks. Have fun!

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I'm wondering if they over used the slo-mo effects that were in most of the trailer

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
I didnt say you were wrong, just that its... mmm... odd, that you havent heard of tron before this movie, and that you shouldnt walk out of the movie feeling you know about tron to the extent that someone who's been with Tron for longer then when Legacy was announced because they're going to want to go indepth about the movie and the series and the culture while you're looking at this as a new shiny action flick for nerds.

Its a weird scenario where cult culture is going to clash with idle viewer that you dont really see outside of if a Halo game came out. Or maybe more to the point the Star Wars, Star Trek, LotR, etc. series's. Fans who are with it for a while are going to want to talk more indepth then someone who is going to see these movies as purely the "new popular action flick people will talk about around the water cooler on monday"

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Erja_Perttu said:
I didnt say you were wrong, just that its... mmm... odd, that you havent heard of tron before this movie, and that you shouldnt walk out of the movie feeling you know about tron to the extent that someone who's been with Tron for longer then when Legacy was announced because they're going to want to go indepth about the movie and the series and the culture while you're looking at this as a new shiny action flick for nerds.

Its a weird scenario where cult culture is going to clash with idle viewer that you dont really see outside of if a Halo game came out. Or maybe more to the point the Star Wars, Star Trek, LotR, etc. series's. Fans who are with it for a while are going to want to talk more indepth then someone who is going to see these movies as purely the "new popular action flick people will talk about around the water cooler on monday"
See, from my perspective it's odd that you have heard of it. Maybe it's a cultural thing, I live in the UK and Tron was never big over here. No one in my age bracket has ever heard of it, no one I know has it dvd, those who have heard of it have no reason to talk about it.

As a technologically minded person I can honestly say, Tron has never come up, so when I saw you talking like it was this huge thing everyone should know about and you made it sound like some kind of sacrosanct, it doesn't ring true.

Besides, I don't get why you can't just walk out of a movie and talk to people about it as though you know about it. You DO know about it, you just watched the movie. With something like Tron, there aren't exactly grand overarching themes to discuss really either, so for someone like me, it's water cooler fodder. I mean, sure it was a hell of a concept, but it's a cult movie. The whole point of a cult movie is that not everyone has heard of/ likes it. If that wasn't the case, it wouldn't just be a cult movie.

I think the main problem here is that I think the original Tron was ok. I'd put it on a par with Highlander for cheesy acting and shiny fun. I'm going to guess you really quite like it, and so our opinions will differ. I personally see your perspective as elite-ist (You have to admit, you're describing Tron on a par with many other franchises it just doesn't stand up to aesthetically, technically or from an acting and plot-wise point of view) and so I stand by my earlier, perhaps wrong worded comments.

(also, the OT points I added after my comments to you were supposed to be a satirical parody of everything you'd described as wrong with the people who go watch movies. Perhaps I was too subtle.)