Escape to the Movies: Tron: Legacy

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Tron: Legacy

This week, Bob looks at a little movie called Tron: Legacy.

Watch Video

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I hate sequel set-ups before we even know if there will BE a sequel...Whether in movies, games, or first seasons of new TV shows.

Seriously, if this magically flops and the plug is pulled on the sequel, does this still wrap up nice enough as a stand-alone film?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I still need to go back and give the original TRON a fresh look.

I'm glad to know they hit all the major selling points even if it falls through in some places. I'd love to check this one out.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Me, too. I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen the original Tron.

Feb 13, 2008
Black Hole 2 would rock.

Disney does nihlism and does it well.

TRON was always a must see.

MowDownJoe said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Me, too. I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen the original Tron.
Do it. It's a little slow now, but remember this is DISNEY when Disney were good. Sort of like where Pixar are now.

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
I still have my 25 anniversary TRON DVD so i going watch it again before seeing the new one. Can't wait!! I hope it gets a sqeual that would be so great. And a Black Hole 2 would be awesome, I love VINCENT and BOB. Weird I also love the Something Wicked this way comes movie too. Older movies I like tend to be flops at least people tell me so, sadness.

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
Exactly what I expected. Good job man. My pops and I sat down a few weeks ago to watch the original for the first time. I thought it was awesome and couldn't wait to see this one.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I guess after 30 years of waiting, expectations to be blown away are ridiculously high. I guess it's this years equivalent of Avatar: looks amazing, but falls short of being truly great.

Overmind78

Oct 2, 2010
For those of you who use Netflix, don't bother trying to get the original Tron via this source. I've had it in my queue since they announced Tron 2 about a year ago, still haven't received it. They have it listed as "unavailable."

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Ugh. I'm going to grow to hate this movie while I go back to work at the theatre, which is sad cause I really want to like it since its my kinda movie and since I liked the original.

I cant wait till I get all those people that never really cared about TRON and only watched the original in the last month or so so they could watch this one and feel like they're part of the crowd that actually likes (and more then likely loves) this movie... you could probably call it a series now, but I would wait till it has at least three movies under its belt before I called anything a series.

Or the people who didnt bother to watch he original, are going to watch this, feel they know everything and walk out with that smug look on their face and try and talk a big game with me about how much they know about the movies and how big of a fan they are.

Yes.. I have fury when it comes to bandwagoning to things when I loved them first, and dont need to douches now who wnat ot be cool cause they know this is what everyone's going ot be talking about. Cause the same people that see this that are like that are the same people that went and say The Expendables instead of Scottie P.

But yeah, I'm going ot go see it later this week (during a week day before all the kids in my area get off for winter/christmas [Lets not kid ourselves here] break) so hopefully I dont hate the movie before then.

EDIT: Further explanation can be found throughout the thread, read before quoting this post out of context or without seeing my reasoning.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
It's sounding like this is the closest thing to a Christmas movie this year: The Creator is vexed by his greatest creation, who has rebelled against him, and his only begotten son is tapped to help defeat him.

The nearest 3D IMAX theatre is a 45 minute drive from my house in a major shopping plaza and it's a week before Xmas, so there's no way I'm seeing this tonight. But I will see it.

Snowpact

He is the Walrus
Oct 15, 2008
Obi-Wan Lebowski. I chuckled.

I'm glad it turned out good. Can't wait to see it for myself. Thanks, MovieBob, for another excellent review :)

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Dammit, I still haven't seen the first Tron yet! I kind of knew they were going to do something with Tron when they included it in Kingdom Hearts 2...

But still, isn't Disney a LITTLE too overconfident? Setting up a sequel before they even know that this one will be a hit? In fact, Disney has made a LOT of ballsy moves as of late.

Cypher10110

Jul 16, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hate sequel set-ups before we even know if there will BE a sequel...Whether in movies, games, or first seasons of new TV shows.

Seriously, if this magically flops and the plug is pulled on the sequel, does this still wrap up nice enough as a stand-alone film?
Yes it does, in fact, apparently I missed whatever bob thinks are cues for a looming sequel. Would someone elaborate (with spoiler tags ofc).

Does it have to do with the "psst, Tron isn't dead" shot? (I thought the explosion was like "...and now the grid is no more - it's about getting out of the game, live life for the now kids")

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Accurate. I was hoping for more but I enjoyed it. It was quite gorgeous.

Mild spoiler:
The light sabers kinda threw me for a loop :/

Black Hole 2 would be awesome.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

Yes. Though you may be disappointed by the fact that those cameos were there with no real purpose (as a long-time fan of the original, I know I was), the movie does wrap things up very nicely. It makes you wonder what will happen next, but it doesn't make you crave it.

emeraldrafael said:
Or the people who didnt bother to watch he original, are going to watch this, feel they know everything and walk out with that smug look on their face and try and talk a big game with me about how much they know about the movies and how big of a fan they are.
I saw it last night. I have loved the first movie since I first heard about it probably ten years ago. I was the only person in the theater last night who had seen it. The people that I went with, they had me fill them in a bit before and after just so they could have a better understanding of the movie and will all be watching the original seeing as this one piqued their interests.

However, the kids behind me? Yeah. They were exactly what you are talking about here. About three-fourths of the way into the movie, I hear one of them ask another, just in a regular talking voice, "What did he say?" To which the other responded, "He said he's a User." Then the first one followed up with, "Oh, whats a User?" I almost turned around and punched their father for ever spawning them.

MovieBob said:
Thanks, Bob. I've been looking forward to your review on this since the Coming Attractions started last night. I agree on pretty much all points, though, I find myself giving it an A over a B+. Otherwise, top notch as always.