Escape to the Movies: Tron: Legacy

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
reddog247 said:
The Gentleman said:
Thank god I'm not the only one Jonesing for a Black Hole sequel.

Just as a question, I can't for the love of Pixar remember the third movie of the dark days of Disney. It was Tron, Black Hole, and what else?
Wasn't it Dragonslayer?

It was a Disney/Paramount co-creation.
No, Bob showed it in the clip: it was 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'

I suppose I'm the only person who has zero interest in a sequel to 'the Black Hole': I was bored to tears by the original, and I really can't see how they would manage a "sequel". Maybe I'd give a remake a chance.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Am I that messed up that I never seem to agree with any of Bob's observations about women being "hot"?

Then again, the only woman reaching that level of "hot" for me is my wife.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
I saw this at midnight and I've gotta say I was utterly floored by how visually stunning it was and as a whole how good the movie overall was and without question it was one best movies all year and definitely worth the ticket price. But I can still recognize its slight faults....one of which was the plot.....It took until Sam had been in the grid for a good 10 or 20 minutes before CLU's master plan was starting to come together and make sense.....some of the lines were filler if not outright childish in nature....and of the principal cast of Jeff(Kevin/CLU), Olivia(Quorra) and Garett(Sam) I'd have to say that Garrett was the weak link in the chain and it felt like he either dead panned or too gruffly delivered some of his lines...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Bob ackknowledges he loved the original despite its faults, something I don't think he commented on those before, and seems to be the same case here. I can respect that.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
FrossetMareritt said:
The thing that got me was that Tron (the character) had sudden change of sides at the end with nothing leading up to it. I was following this story pretty well (if you can say that it has one besides getting out), and when Sam was pitted against him in the disc battle I said "Bet me that's Tron." Then when CLU pulled his coup and Tron gets a second disc from an enemy then the screen cuts away before we see what happens to him when CLU is about to strike I said "Who called that? Oh, wait... ME! But bet me that there's still a piece of the 'good' Tron left." Sure enough we see that his disc is 'battling' the CLU's full take over of his identity. However, at no point did we ever see anything that tipped the scales for that internal battle. So jump from one side to the other was pretty out of the blue.
Yeah, that stuck in my craw. Essentially the deal is that Tron had been kept from Kevin Flynn the entirety of that time, and as soon as he saw him for the first time it overwhelmed the influence of CLU's infection; but it was not illustrated or demonstrated in any palpable away and it was annoying. My pal said afterward 'He saw the creator!' No, he saw his friend. They really should have had some physical contact with Tron and Kevin Flynn on the carrier where we see some spark or some seed being planted to restore Tron, rather than 'I FIGHT FOR THE USERS!'

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Oh my God, Black Hole was THAT movie.
Now I remember.
Another hit of that please.

As for Tron Legacy this was pretty much what I expected most reviews to say.

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
Quesa said:
FrossetMareritt said:
The thing that got me was that Tron (the character) had sudden change of sides at the end with nothing leading up to it. I was following this story pretty well (if you can say that it has one besides getting out), and when Sam was pitted against him in the disc battle I said "Bet me that's Tron." Then when CLU pulled his coup and Tron gets a second disc from an enemy then the screen cuts away before we see what happens to him when CLU is about to strike I said "Who called that? Oh, wait... ME! But bet me that there's still a piece of the 'good' Tron left." Sure enough we see that his disc is 'battling' the CLU's full take over of his identity. However, at no point did we ever see anything that tipped the scales for that internal battle. So jump from one side to the other was pretty out of the blue.
Yeah, that stuck in my craw. Essentially the deal is that Tron had been kept from Kevin Flynn the entirety of that time, and as soon as he saw him for the first time it overwhelmed the influence of CLU's infection; but it was not illustrated or demonstrated in any palpable away and it was annoying. My pal said afterward 'He saw the creator!' No, he saw his friend. They really should have had some physical contact with Tron and Kevin Flynn on the carrier where we see some spark or some seed being planted to restore Tron, rather than 'I FIGHT FOR THE USERS!'
Without anything to show the viewers exactly what set the good side off so it can take control just made Tron seem like a wishy-washy character. Which is sad.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Obi-Wan Lebowski and a VR Troopers refrence, color this nerd appeased for the day.

OT: I already loved Tron, Legacy looked like it was just the advanced version of it, not surprised but definitely still looks like a must see. Though, both of the movies that are must sees for me have Jeff Bridges, yay?

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Hate to break it to you Bob. But the generals and bankers still rule planet earth. How else do you think Goldman Sachs got 26 bailouts from the Federal Reserve? The thing about technology corporations is that most of them are only relevant until the next big techno revolution when they get usurped by the next gang of nerds. For example, anyone remember when IBM was important? Neither do I.

Dethgeezr

Jul 7, 2009
Great review! I feel like you needa make 2 videos for each review, this one seemed more rushed that other videos haha, one video thats 5 mins and an extended version... I know, its way too much work haha. I think its safe to say most of the viewers have the attention span to watch a 10 min review, especially from Bob :D Lookin forward to Monday, then Friday again haha.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Bob, why did you feel the needed to give an intro with the conclusions of your review. If the review contained spoilers like the Inception one, then fine. Has it gotten to the stage where peoples attention spans are not enough to sit through an entertaining 5 min review. That's just lazy and sad. Make people work for it. If they want to know what you think to a movie, then they have to sit through whole review, it's only fair. That's the reviewer - watcher contract, surely. Don't just give it away.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
Wow I kindah half expecting this one to blow chunks all over itself. Now I have to see it :|

[small]After I see the first one.[/small]

Maleb

Apr 22, 2010
Just to emphasize it: Obi-Wan + Lebowski = win win \o/

But wasn't the part of Clue being destroyed in the first movie the whole idea that drived the other programs in rebellion (not being wiped from existence)? Feels like the second is making fun of the first tron (plotwise)... hm it has been a while since the first, I could be wrong ofc :)

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I just saw it and i have to agree with you Bob.

It quite good. But that sequel setup was a tad annoying.

daedrick

Jul 23, 2008
video doesnt work for me, its black screen for 30sec, then I see the pictures but no sound. Also, just watched daily drop and I just tested on unskippable and everything work fine for these videos.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Michael Sheen's character was really flamboyant and I already googled Beau Garrett before the film was out haha!

Now, about the 3D. You say it's the best since Avatar, now I don't know if it's the quality of my cinema or 3D in general but I barely noticed it. Granted the first segment in the real world WAS 2D but I only noticed the 3D in Tron in about 2 or 3 scenes... should have just seen it in 2D if that was the case.

paragon1 said:
You know Bob, I have to wonder why you always bring up Halo when criticizing modern game graphics (specifically, the overabundance of the Brown). The Halo games always kept things visually diverse with their color palettes.
Same thought. You're not allowed to like something but hating on it for the sake of it really shows with Bob.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Ekonk said:
I already have the soundtrack (special 2-disc edition yeaahhh) because I fucking love Daft Punk and I must say that it's really really good - it marries the dark, orchestral elements of say, The Dark Knight, with the typical Daft Punk electro sound. It's a match made in heaven and I love it.

Therefore, I must also check out the movie.
This is exactly how I feel. With such an awesome soundtrack and sleek aesthetic, I have to be honest, I don't give a fuck about the script. I mean, it is Disney we're talking about, so it's not as though I'm expecting much in the way of believable dramatics. I simply want to be entertained with this one.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Ugh. I'm going to grow to hate this movie while I go back to work at the theatre, which is sad cause I really want to like it since its my kinda movie and since I liked the original.

I cant wait till I get all those people that never really cared about TRON and only watched the original in the last month or so so they could watch this one and feel like they're part of the crowd that actually likes (and more then likely loves) this movie... you could probably call it a series now, but I would wait till it has at least three movies under its belt before I called anything a series.

Or the people who didnt bother to watch he original, are going to watch this, feel they know everything and walk out with that smug look on their face and try and talk a big game with me about how much they know about the movies and how big of a fan they are.

Yes.. I have fury when it comes to bandwagoning to things when I loved them first, and dont need to douches now who wnat ot be cool cause they know this is what everyone's going ot be talking about. Cause the same people that see this that are like that are the same people that went and say The Expendables instead of Scottie P.

But yeah, I'm going ot go see it later this week (during a week day before all the kids in my area get off for winter/christmas [Lets not kid ourselves here] break) so hopefully I dont hate the movie before then.
As annoying as those people can be, it's their monetary support that will keep the franchise going (that may be either good or bad).