Escape to the Movies: Up!

roflchopter

Jan 26, 2009
On IMDB (internet movie data base) up is number 12 of best movies of all time. Apparently its like...really good? lol

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I saw this yesterday, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried.
It was the montage of his life with Ellie that ended with the death of Ellie.

This is probably Pixar's best work for drawing emotions out of the viewer, but is a far cry from their best comedy-wise, but that could just be because I'm older now.
I cried like 4 times. This movie was ridiculously good. Up until the movie started, I was acting like this experience was going to be a complete waste of 3 hours of my life (yes, three. to get a good seat in the theater, we actually had to leave early). I mean, the first dramatic scenes were so effective that I just broke into tears whenever they simply REFERENCED it.

And Moviebob was right. Doug fucks my shit up. Whenever my dog comes up to me now, I can't help but
picture him going, "You are my master and I love you because you are a good and kind master!" And then I cry some more.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Krakyn said:
Doug fucks my shit up. Whenever my dog comes up to me now, I can't help but
picture him going, "You are my master and I love you because you are a good and kind master!" And then I cry some more.
Yeah, memo to Disney: You want to make another trillion this year? Make a little "Dug Quotes Box" thingee people can put on dog-collars that randomly spits out his lines whenever the thing moves. People will buy TONS of those...

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
This movie seems like quite a good interest. I might take my nephew to see it sometime. I especially like the

SQUIRREL!

I especially like the twist of how they never give away the plan of the "villain". That will be an interesting thing to see.

Rhiya Ravenwing

May 31, 2009
Oh man, I've been meaning to hit the movies for this one - but instead I was an idiot and went to see Star trek and Wolverine... Not that that's a really BAD thing for me (Except for Star Trek... goddamn them for completely disregarding physics), because I enjoyed them too.

When I get around to watching UP! I do hope Pixar completely obliterates what remains of my sanity with its awesomeness.

webchameleon

Jan 10, 2008
Movie Bob is an impressive SOB to have that much literature insight. I'll bet I was the only one in the theater thinking of Ayn Rand while watching The Incredibles. I got a little teary-eyed when Bob [Parr] he was looking at his old posters in his office.

But yeah, Up! was a fantastic film. I'll be damned if I'm going to see a third Toy Story, but I'll watch just about anything else from Pixar!

WIUtomato

Oct 18, 2008
Thank You Movie Bob! Thank You for having the stones and open mind to see and love this movie! My wife and I went to this to humor a depressed friend, and both came away over joyed at seeing it and shamed at having such closed minds going in. We absolutely loved it, and your review was spot on! Any whoever write Dug (we checked, that is the right spelling) and all the other dogs in certainly a dog owner, that was great! Awesome review, awesome movie!

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
Just saw it over the weekend...your review is spot on, especially about it being an emotional film. I went in not expecting to cry as much as I did. ^^;

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
randommaster said:
Does anyone else want more MANLY movies with MANLY characters doing MASCULINE things?

it seems like [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbxq0IDqD04] Pixar has been into the energy drinks [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3qncy5Qfk&feature=related] for a while. They just seem to win at things nobody should.
This pretty much sums up what I didn't like about Bob's review. So, somehow guy "buddy" films are really understated? Are you really having problems finding manly men doing manly things in movies? Or in the animated genre?

Sorry, I wanted to see "Up" and this review actually soured me to the film. I'll have to try to forget the comments so I can enjoy it. Bob rants on about the Disney "princess" movies but try to find a movie with a female lead character that is NOT fluffy, does not make the woman act like a man (Tomb Raider, G.I. Jane, etc.), does NOT have the female lead have to get saved by a male character (Coraline), and does N-O-T force the female lead to "use a bow". (So...she can pull 50-80 pounds and hit a target dead on but she can't wield a sword or a knife? Wha...?)
Oh yeah...and doesn't show up naked for any reason (Ghost in the Shell, Gatchuman, even Dinotopia the Miniseries).

I saw a review for The Golden Compass in USA Today back when it came out. And the reviewer said "no one would want to watch a story about a little girl". And here I heard the same sentiments. Um, I don't mind some "manly men" stories but you can't actually swing a dead cat without hitting them. While a strong female character who is still a female in her actions/reactions is nearly non-existant. I guess I can go watch Golden Compass again or the Dawn of the Dead remake...

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Gyrefalcon said:
randommaster said:
Does anyone else want more MANLY movies with MANLY characters doing MASCULINE things?

it seems like [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbxq0IDqD04] Pixar has been into the energy drinks [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3qncy5Qfk&feature=related] for a while. They just seem to win at things nobody should.
This pretty much sums up what I didn't like about Bob's review. So, somehow guy "buddy" films are really understated? Are you really having problems finding manly men doing manly things in movies? Or in the animated genre?

Sorry, I wanted to see "Up" and this review actually soured me to the film. I'll have to try to forget the comments so I can enjoy it. Bob rants on about the Disney "princess" movies but try to find a movie with a female lead character that is NOT fluffy, does not make the woman act like a man (Tomb Raider, G.I. Jane, etc.), does NOT have the female lead have to get saved by a male character (Coraline), and does N-O-T force the female lead to "use a bow". (So...she can pull 50-80 pounds and hit a target dead on but she can't wield a sword or a knife? Wha...?)
Oh yeah...and doesn't show up naked for any reason (Ghost in the Shell, Gatchuman, even Dinotopia the Miniseries).

I saw a review for The Golden Compass in USA Today back when it came out. And the reviewer said "no one would want to watch a story about a little girl". And here I heard the same sentiments. Um, I don't mind some "manly men" stories but you can't actually swing a dead cat without hitting them. While a strong female character who is still a female in her actions/reactions is nearly non-existant. I guess I can go watch Golden Compass again or the Dawn of the Dead remake...
Well, MB's part about the Manly Men thing was kind of exagerated, I think he was making a point about how it's easier and more profitable to make movie merchandise for girls, so the people making animated movies have been focusing on that to make more money.

Pixar's gone the other way, and has made movies about how boys relate to others. It's not that there's a shortage of Manly Men films, it's that, in America, "cartoons are for kids," and as such, people immediatelt think that they have no depth and are just there to sell merchandise. Pixar has been trying to buck this trend by making their movies enjoyable for the parents by putting in hidden messages and jokes that childre probably won't get. The Animaniacs did a similar thing, and is enjoyed by many people of all ages. Pixar isn't being revolutionary by writing for boys, comic books have been doing this for a very long time, but they are doing things differently than the rest of the industry when it comes to animated movies, which is what makes the movies more appealing.

This may be kind of scattered, so if it doesn't make sense, tell me and I'll try to clear it up.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Now that does make a lot more sense and I can appreciate it. I, too, am tired of the poorly placed jokes that are not in theme. Example: the movie "Mulan" where Mushu quotes Batman. It breaks the suspension of disbelief.

And I loved "The Incredibles" which has a look at imperfect, super powered people facing realistic, very human reactions to difficult situations. Animation doesn't have to be "kiddy fare".

And I want to see Up, as very few movies feature senior citizens. Up has one as a main character and Coraline has a pair as supporting characters. It's nice to see an old man who isn't passing on a tiny chunk of wisdom just before dying and old women who do more than bake cookies.

But while the 1990's finally had female detectives that weren't easily disarmed by any bad guy what came along, unlike Chameleons in 1989 and the old Charlies Angels tv series, this decade has been going in reverse. From the chop job done on Cardcaptor Sakura when it got ported over as Cardcaptors to the altered ending in Coraline, I've been seeing women being stuffed back into the "weak" role.

So I hope that Up will try to help break the barrier against older characters as protagonists in movies, especially in animated films. But I'm still waiting to see females get a fair shake. Princesses are fine, Belle especially, but like the catchphrase from Stepsister Scheme, I'm looking for females saying "Do we look like we need rescuing?" Thanks for your post though. I'll feel better about seeing the movie Up again.

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
Not Good said:
And now for something completely different

Incidentally, I was dragged to see Wall-E last night. Now, objective quality of that film and possible anti-corporate agenda aside, here's a small plot synopsis:

One or more lovable protagonists have existed for some time in a stable but fundamentally flawed routine, which is shaken up by the introduction of a foreign entity, usually another character, around whom attitudes are initially hostile. Attempts to deal with this character eventually lead to the protagonist(s) discovering a new, unfamiliar world, and in doing so discover the nature of the fundamental flaw in their routine. Villains are usually introduced or only become truly villainous from around the mid-point or quite late into the film. Along the way the heroes enlist the help of various lesser characters with clearly definable quirks and at one point reluctantly enter a high-speed chase. The villain is generally finally defeated with surprising ease, and everything concludes in an emotionally manipulative ending in which routine is restored with the fundamental flaw excised.

Now, consider how many Pixar movies that could be describing. Consider it, me bitches.
I've yet to see Cars and Rattatouille, but for the most part, I will say this is a fair summary. However, stripping a film down to its basic plot like this is kinda like assuming that human beings are nothing but a collaboration of various materials, give or take a few quantities of each. In this respect, the basic synopsis is not what makes each Pixar movie great, but rather the individual aspects each provides. Just to give a small example, let's compare the first two lead Pixar antagonists; Sid and Hopper. Both pose great threat to the main protagonists, but while Sid merely causes havoc for shits and giggles, Hopper deliperately oppresses the ant colony in order to sustain what he seems to believe is a stable society.
I'm treading this response carefully, avoiding any assumptions as much as possible, but I do get a negative vibe from your post so I will say this: to degrade a creation to its core structure for argument's sake is pretty cloed-minded attitude. Really, it just doesn't go anywhere.

Dimeinurear

Apr 7, 2009
I'm amazed at how few people saw Up this summer, I mean honestly. I went to see this with my brother, and it was honestly just amazing. I cried multiple times because it was so sad, and then a few minutes later was laughing like crazy when the little kid (forgot his name) was creating that humorous tension of stupidity and awkwardness.

All I hear my friends talking about is the Terminator movie, X-Men, the Star Trek movie, and the new Transformers movie. Not a SINGLE friend of mine has even acknowledged Up.. not even ONCE. Now granted I haven't seen any of the other movies.. but I don't want to, because Hollywood likes to take what I used to watch when I was only 10 years old with my dad, from an intelligent, stressful, nail-biting series with tension, laughs, and moments that just make you want to cheer, and they "Hollywood" it up by adding a love interest (granted though, Captain Kirk did have his ways with the green ladies) and overdoses of CGI explosions.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that I'm going to listen to your reviews from now on, and I'm going to go see every single movie you recommend, even if none of my friends want to go and it means going by myself, I don't care, if it's a good movie, I'm gonna go see it.

Do you send out weekly videos or do you just have a "When it's done" kind of schedule?

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
George Palmer said:
Just my 3 cents.
Now hold on a second, why do you get to put in three cents while the rest of us only give 2? (I am being sarcastic and this is meant purely in good fun, so please no one get alarmed, thank you)
The "Finding Nemo is just "Taken" with Fish" joke was very clever indeed. Best laugh I have had in a few weeks. Nice work bob. While I didn't think your previous reviews were no where near as bad as some where saying (some people wanted to punch him for those reviews!) I would agree that you seem to really do your best when you are being optimistic, and town the swearing back a bit.

xxDarlenexx

Dec 24, 2008
This movie positively WRECKED ME. Someone told me it was sad at points but I never expected to be sobbing within the first 15 minutes. I was a mess. Not through the whole thing, of course, but man, when was the last time ANY movie tugged at the heart strings like that? Bravo, Pixar! Key to a successful movie? MAKE PEOPLE CARE!

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Had to stop reading when the spoilers ward appeared.

But the boy side view of Pixar was very nice. Haven't thought about that.

Nice to have works about male stuff that doesn't portrait us as idiots.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
MovieBob said:
Krakyn said:
Doug fucks my shit up. Whenever my dog comes up to me now, I can't help but
Yeah, memo to Disney: You want to make another trillion this year? Make a little "Dug Quotes Box" thingee people can put on dog-collars that randomly spits out his lines whenever the thing moves. People will buy TONS of those...
Yes! A Thousand times YES. You could create a market of talking dog collar's. Doug is brilliant.

Thanks to Pixar's oddness in deciding that the UK can wait until Summer is well and truly over before were allowed to see this, i torrented Up! with the explicit self promise that i would go see it in a cinema the day it comes out. I got what seemed to be a Russian copy, all the writing in the film was unreadable, which is ok considering there isn't much to begin with, and none of the impact was lost.
Even when Carl is reading the last pages of Ellie's adventure book with all the pictures of their life together in place of the apparent adventures they'd have at Paradise Falls. There's some writing at the end of the book i couldn't read, but the impact of the scene is still there.

And damn it I'm crying again just thinking about it. My mum said she was surprised I liked this movie as she said it was mushy. It is pretty mushy, in fact if you don't cry or feel like doing so at any point in this movie then your just... well soulless.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Up is the third film that has ever made me cry, or at least choke up and wipe away that little tear. I like the Giant Peach meets Gran Torino approach to describing the plot.
Also, Doug is AWESOME!!!