Escape to the Movies: War Horse

CronoT

May 15, 2010
As you said, Bob. When you mix Steven Spielberg with John Williams and a half-decent premise, you get some damn fine movies. Also, it's nice to see you talking about a movie that's going to be an Oscar favorite come March without all the snark and irony that The King's Speech so rightly deserved last year.

Kudos.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Side note: If anyone has a chance to see the original play. Do it. That thing is amazing.

Good to see that the film lives up to it.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Good review- but Bob, my patience wears thin.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy- NOW, DAMNIT.

I KNOW HOW TO MAKE BOMBS- ATOMIC BOMBS!

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
Did he say german tanks in WW1? OMG parallel universe! Lets hope they dont discover radar in WW2

Rotting Corpse

Aug 24, 2010
I'm kind of disappointed you didn't do Dragon Tattoo, Bob. I guess War Horse must really be that good.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
BakedZnake said:
Did he say german tanks in WW1? OMG parallel universe! Lets hope they dont discover radar in WW2
...What? Are you being sarcastic? Germany did have tanks in WW1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:World_War_I_tanks_of_Germany

OT: Read the book by Michael Morpurgo a couple years ago and really liked it. Wasn't sure if it would work as a film, but glad it has, might catch it this Christmas.

Another great Christmas release film - Children of Men, a few years ago. Catch it.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
"Alvin and The Chipmunks: Why do you keep doing this to me?" Why? Because 650 million dollars in profit, that is why. Not gross, not estimated, but net profit (not even counting merchandising).

About War Horse, I might give it a try. I know its The Black Stallion with even more easy sentimentality bordering on manipulation, and all my cynicism makes me think it won't live up to expectations; but I also believe its going to be around this awards season as the Oscar bait it is, so I guess I should preemptively see it.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
BakedZnake said:
Germany had tanks in WWI. Now tanks only entered the battlefield in 1916 and Germany never really had that many but they did exist.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
BakedZnake said:
Germany did have tanks in WW1, though most of them were captured British tanks.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
"I'm as guilty as any other critic of being reflexively resistant to sentimental and emotional manipulation."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh Bob... you really crack me up. That was the funniest joke I've ever heard from you. I really hope it was a joke though.

You haven't forgotten the cheap exploits of Toy Story 3 already? You know, the ones you totally fell for.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I really don't like these types of movies, so I'll pass. Mainly because I know they will work on me, I don't like that feeling.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
"Whatever you're having, have a happy one" is my new holiday slogan. So thanks for that.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I honestly want this to fail just because it's being nominated for awards before it's getting released into theaters (at time of posting), but I'm sure it won't because pretty much everything Spielburg touches turns to gold.

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
You know whats a truly great Christmas/holidays present.
Two epic Spielberg movies released in one week,
and both playing Christmas day at my local theater:D

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Was, like many other it would seem, hoping for a different movie, but that it was actually worth watching is a great surprise. I did however make the mistake of watching this with my horse-loving GF, and guess what we're doing for X-mas! Still, if it's as good as you say it is, awesome.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
Good review- but Bob, my patience wears thin.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy- NOW, DAMNIT.

I KNOW HOW TO MAKE BOMBS- ATOMIC BOMBS!
Say hello to the FBI's watch list :p

More to the topic, I've been looking for a good World War I movie for quite some time. Maybe this will work. I've literally seen nothing on this movie, but what I saw there looked damn good.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I like to think of myself as a hardened cynic, but I have no defense against happy moment crying. I'm sure that if I watched this, I'd end up a blubbering mess just like evewryone else.