Escape to the Movies: White House Down

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
SNCommand said:
Am I the only one who find this love letter to the current US president a bit distasteful considering Obama is as much onboard with the NSA and the military as the bad guys in this movie?
I was wondering the same thing throughout the review.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Tono Makt said:
twistedmic said:
Why do I get the feeling that Bob only likes this movie because Rolland Emmerich was at the helm? And that if anyone else, Micheal Bay or Owe Boll for example, Bob would have mercilessly torn it to shreds for the exact same reasons that he was praising it?
Guys, Bob gave the last Michael Bay flick, Pain & Gain, a rather positive review for its social commentary on... on something. I don't remember.

In fact, he gave Furious 6 a thumbs up as well. It appears Bob has gained a taste for movies that seem more suited to the 80s.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Comming 2016... something that should have been fucking left in the 90's... better yet, something that should have been baried for good, right next to the E.T. videogames in the desert...

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
TheDrunkNinja said:
The problem I have with ridiculous on-the-nose politically-topical one-sided hero-worship/demonization is that the person who praises the film saying that Hollywood "shouldn't be so afraid to be offensive and flip people off sometimes" would be shouting fire and brimstone at the film if it was the other way around.

I'll still totally see it since I absolutely adore crazy action films of utter ridiculousness regardless of the political agenda they boast.
This. It's safe to insult the right-wing and make them the antagonists, but if you insult the left-wing then your film might as well be called "A film where we murder puppies, burn down orphanages and flip off black people whilst laughing (btw we're the good guys)".

OT: This is a blu-ray rental movie for me (thank god we still have a Blockbuster), but I'm definitely not going to see this in the cinema. Although that White House Lawn RPG chase scene looks badass.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Elijah Newton said:
Bob, sir, any chance of a review of WWZ? Would love to get your take on it.
Speculation: He despises it because it's not like the book, and won't review it because he can't find enough wrong with it as a movie in its own right to justify how much he doesn't like it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Pyrian said:
Elijah Newton said:
Bob, sir, any chance of a review of WWZ? Would love to get your take on it.
Speculation: He despises it because it's not like the book, and won't review it because he can't find enough wrong with it as a movie in its own right to justify how much he doesn't like it.
I think he said it sucks, in his latest edition of Intermission.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I think I'll see this one.

Also, Terminator reboot huh, that's going to have a lot to live up to. The mess that Salvation gave us would have been hard to fix, so I hardly blame them for wanting to reboot it.

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
SNCommand said:
Mezmer said:
I'm sorry. This is the same guy who made 2012? Ugh, that movie was SHIT. And Bob gave a glowing review of it. I'm gonna have to hard pass on this one, Bob.
I'm actually wondering if Bob is being serious on this one considering how this movie is getting slaughtered by other movie critics

One guy wrote that "White House Down makes Olympus has Fallen look like Citizen Kane in comparison"
50% on RT is hardly being "slaughtered" and since the movie is obviously very left leaning, the conservative-leaning critics (yes, those exist) are going to hate it regardless of the quality.

I have no interest in ever watching A Good Day to Die Hard or Olympus Has Falling, and had no interest in watching this either, but I guess I'll give it a try. I understand where Bob is coming from with his praise of Emmerich compared to the likes of Michael Bay, even if I still don't think any of Emmerich's movies are actually "good." Besides, my Dad likes his movies and I usually end up watching them with him.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I was basically going to see this movie no matter what, the trailer involved the president as played by Jaime Foxx firing and RPG out of a moving Limousine I was basically obligated to see this just to find out how that happened. Good to see that the rest of the movie is pretty awesome as well.

Also I completely forgot that Olympus Has Fallen even existed, much less had actually come out. Where was all the marketing?

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
I guess will never get away with from heavy handed political movies. I never will understand how they make money. Common business sense says that strait out telling half the people in the country that they are inbred, backwards morons would be bad for your movie.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Are you fucking kidding me? Captain Planet??? Oh for fuck sake!

Oh and this movie looks interesting too. Crazy, but interesting.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Ehehe, this does sound stupid-awesome, I might actually see this one since it isn't the "americuh, fuck yeah!" type of stuff that I'm really damn tired of.

Although I have to admit, the grin this one put on my face was slightly tarnished by the two mid-credit stinger announcements.

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Are you fucking kidding me? Captain Planet??? Oh for fuck sake!

Oh and this movie looks interesting too. Crazy, but interesting.
Calling it right now: Michael Bay is involved, to some extent.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Long story short, I got to see this (Budget 150 Million) and Olympus has Fallen ($70 Million). OHF was a more violent, darker movie though equally ludicrous, but, of the two, I have to write that it was much better. WHD was funnier and had the reparte of the two leads, but made it look like the White House is taken down by a 1/2 dozen guys with pistols. OHF: freakin WW3 is delivered to the White House front door. Much more epic.

vs

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I'm sorry, but I'd rather a movie not have any message than it have one and hit you over the head with it.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Anyone else creeped out to see MovieBob gushing like a schoolgirl over what is effectively a loud-and-proud modern propaganda film glorifying a sitting politician?

UM536

Dec 9, 2010
josh4president said:
Anyone else creeped out to see MovieBob gushing like a schoolgirl over what is effectively a loud-and-proud modern propaganda film glorifying a sitting politician?
After seeing his American Bob videos all I can say is it doesn't surprise me. I think that bob an I have different views on politics though. I mean more that I view politics as sort of a continuing discussion about how we should collectively run our lives, while Bob seems to see it as something closer to a titanic struggle between the forces of good and evil, something between a no-holds barred cage match and a righteous quest.

Anyhow I can see how one would like a nothing action movie if it was aimed at you, allowing the general good will gained by the movie's topic to carry you over the parts that don't work. I kinda like transformers for that reason. It has no plot, no characters just kinda goes robots, hot cars, hot girls, hackers, soldiers, secret agents, explosions. If you don't want anything else out of the movie then it's ok.