Escape to the Movies: White House Down

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
the movie seems nice and all but...
THERES GONNA BE A CAPTAIN PLANET MOVIE?!?!??! what?!? why?! who?!? is it going to be live action? cause that might just be the most redicilous thing we will ever see...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Are you fucking kidding me? Captain Planet??? Oh for fuck sake!
I'm only surprised that it took them this long. The entire purpose of the cartoon show was to educate kids about the importance of environment. No doubt this movie is aiming to do the same. And they will probably concentrate on climate change. It's pretty obvious, really.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Soooo the short version is "Action movie is Action" and "Propaganda movie is Propaganda."

Sorry Bob, but at least for my tastes I can't stand political statements in my movies. I go to movies because I want to escape from the bullshit of reality, not to have someone's views of reality crammed down my throat.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
canadamus_prime said:
Are you fucking kidding me? Captain Planet??? Oh for fuck sake!
I'm only surprised that it took them this long. The entire purpose of the cartoon show was to educate kids about the importance of environment. No doubt this movie is aiming to do the same. And they will probably concentrate on climate change. It's pretty obvious, really.
As directed by Micheal Bay and staring Shia La Bouf as that American kid whose name I forget.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I was interested until I heard it's pretty much a propoganda movie. Really, "Obama is the hero and peace loving guy and everyone who dislikes him are in some sort of terrorist plot?" Way to pick the time to release a movie when it shows him being one of the most corrupt Presidents in history. If only the movie came out earlier then I'd be happier to watch it.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
Bob, you've got to be kidding me...

A Hollywood movie acts as a wish fulfillment for the American left? REALLY. Do fucking tell. How rare and unusual that is.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
Devil said:
I was interested until I heard it's pretty much a propoganda movie. Really, "Obama is the hero and peace loving guy and everyone who dislikes him are in some sort of terrorist plot?" Way to pick the time to release a movie when it shows him being one of the most corrupt Presidents in history. If only the movie came out earlier then I'd be happier to watch it.
Lol yeah good way to put it. While technically the word 'propaganda' applies to this movie (as it does to anything that it trying to convince its audience of anything), I think Bob's description of 'fantasy' for the left works much better.

I hope that the President in this movie gets himself out of this crazy situation by supplying guns to Drug Cartels. And making sure these violent groups never get their tax-exemption status. And studying their private phone records. And using his cabinet members and 'low level employees' as human shields.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
This wasn't even on my radar until I saw this review, and now having seen it, I can report it is FANTASTIC. Unfortunately there was almost no one in the theater even though it was a Friday night. Guess it wasn't on anyone else's radar either - hopefully it will do better from good word-of-mouth.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
josh4president said:
Anyone else creeped out to see MovieBob gushing like a schoolgirl over what is effectively a loud-and-proud modern propaganda film glorifying a sitting politician?
Not a bad point. Movie Bob is unapologetically left wing liberal.

I'm a radical right winger and was able to see past the anti-right wing craziness of the movie. It didn't spoil it for me. I did giggle a few times at their perception of fake Obama.

What hurt the movie is that it came on the heels of superior Olympus has Fallen (Which cost 1/2 as much to make).

Not a bad time. As Jeremy Johns at Youtube might say, enjoyable while drunk.

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
SNCommand said:
RJ Dalton said:
You say it's not afraid to be about something, but what it's about is just pumping up the propaganda machine and continuing to pander to the us/them ideology that is destroying this country. To wit, Obama is not interested in peace with Iran, has put more troops into combat overseas than President Bush, is SUPPORTING a bigger and more dangerous spying scandal than Richard Nixon that has all the same qualities of McCarthyism (replacing communism with terrorist as the excuse for doing it), and has not only refused to prosecute the banks that have caused the economic problems in this country, but systematically put into place laws that further protect them from legal repercussions and allow them to continue the exploitation of the American people. If it were still Bush in office, most of the media would be up in arms about it, calling for his resignation and you'd be right along with them in the chants. But because Obama's a democrat, the media will make any excuse they can to keep from being seen as the monster he is (unless you're Fox News, but Fox is already a joke to most of the American public, so their opinion doesn't count).

I don't care if it's ballsy for Emerich to make this film about something. It would be equally ballsy for someone to make a film in which a a good-hearted, but maligned Republican president is attacked by unapologetically evil homosexual pro-abortion Muslim radicals.

It would also be equally bullshit.
This right here, the movie is presenting a president as far removed from the real one as possible

A really bland protagonist

Villains with no logical motivation or rational actions

A message as close to the current mainstream ideology as possible

There's nothing edgy about this, no Roland Emmerich movie has ever been either edgy or even thought inducing, he makes what he does best, special effect summer blockbusters pandering to the Hollywood view
This is exactly what I was thinking. This whole movie is nothing but more Pro-bama taint licking. The only way it could have gotten more blatant and more ridiculously disconnected from reality is if as Fake-Obama was single handedly saving reality itself, he charged across the reflecting pool in front of the washington monument ATOP the water, stopped half way across to tell a fisherman to let his net down on the other side of his boat to catch his fish, and then when he reached the other side commanded Agent Richard Lazarus to arise from the dead, which he would.

This isn't "getting political" or "flipping some people off," this is echoing the overwhelming blind devotion that people have had for Barack ever since his first campaign promise (which, BTW, he broke. Look it up.)

BUT, I do have to say, despite Moviebob's obvious political leanings, he doesn't give a free pass to movies that share his views. It's just a coincidence this time. So I can at least be assured that the action and everything will be top notch, even if I can't possibly stomach the propaganda it's wrapped in.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Soooo the short version is "Action movie is Action" and "Propaganda movie is Propaganda."

Sorry Bob, but at least for my tastes I can't stand political statements in my movies. I go to movies because I want to escape from the bullshit of reality, not to have someone's views of reality crammed down my throat.
And this is sorta kinda why the movie has utterly tanked at the box office. You cannot put the sitting President or a very thinly (and badly in this case) veiled caricature of the same as the hero of a serious action adventure movie. You just can't do it. You immediately and totally alienate vast swathes of the population and come off looking more like a propagandist than a filmmaker. It doesn't matter which side of the political spectrum you approach this from. Just imagine if someone would have made a serious "George Bush Action Hero fighting terrorists" movie during Bush's term in office? See how cheesy you would have felt it to be, even without seeing if it was well written or directed? While a President is still in office there is only a handful of ways that they can be effectively used or portrayed by Hollywood. They can be used for minor exposition, rewarding the hero, etc. They can be used as a plot device ("OMG this threatens the President and the Nation"). You can go pure satire and make a spoof of it all. But there is no place for doing what this movie sought to do. Sony is bemoaning its poor performance and blaming it on Olympus has Fallen, and that it fell between WWZ and Lone Ranger. But none of this applies. The coming attractions left people with one indelible thought "Obama with a rocket launcher!" And that made most of them mentally switch off (and allow themselves to be dragged to a Sandra Bullock Chick Flick).

downsyndromechimp

May 25, 2012
Okay... This one is a bit hard for me to say. I am a conservative, through and through, but I enjoyed this movie. It was fun to watch.

Wait, let me explain. As I watched it, I couldn't quite put my finger on WHY I enjoyed it so much, just that I did. Then, when watching this review, it hit me. Yippee ki-ay, m-f-er! This IS a die hard movie! Forget that John McClain is replaced with whatever-his-name-is-surrogate, and forget that Obama is replaced with Fox-doing-an-Obama-inpersonation-surrogate. When I picture Die Hard 3 with Whoever as McClain and Obama as Zeus (NOT HEY-ZEUS. ZEUS, LIKE THE GOD!) This is what I was picturing. I don't care for the message, obviously, but all the fun and insanity behind the idea is there.

That's it folks. A "Die Harder" conservative liked it. Purple monkey. Brain banana. Yup.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
SNCommand said:
Am I the only one who find this love letter to the current US president a bit distasteful considering Obama is as much onboard with the NSA and the military as the bad guys in this movie?

History is going to deem the current president as a weak one considering how little control Hollywood and the rest of the media is presenting him as having, just think about the one in this movie, it isn't easy overlooking so many groups plotting an armed insurrection, not unless the heads of NSA, FBI and CIA are in on it, and if they are you've really fucked up as president.
It's a work of fiction, it takes the current political climate and repaints it black and white (figuratively speaking). Frankly, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Hellfireboy

Mar 11, 2013
So you're saying that this movie was made by an unapologetic, pandering sycophant and basically boils down to a propaganda film for the current president in the form of an over the top, boilerplate action film... and that's a good thing?

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Hellfireboy said:
So you're saying that this movie was made by an unapologetic, pandering sycophant and basically boils down to a propaganda film for the current president in the form of an over the top, boilerplate action film... and that's a good thing?
This is the wonder of tribalism. "It's ok for a dumb movie to be about something, just so long as I agree with it".

Could you imagine Bob's review if this movie had been made during the Bush Administration, with Not-George-Bush fighting OWS protestors and Islamic Terrorists? Methinks the word "awesome" probably wouldn't have come up in the review.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
MovieBob said:
White House Down

MovieBob gives us a look at the latest bit of subtle filmmaking from Roland Emmerich.

Watch Video
So a giant love letter to Obama (though obviously the opposite of what Obama does because i can actually fucking read and make up my own damn mind) about the EVIL RACIST RIGHT WINGED CAPITALIST MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX taking over the white house with the political message thats as subtle as a dildo launched in your face *Insert jackass 3d clip* and made by a director who is all style over substance and i generally avoid.

Yeah i think i'll give this one a pass.

Though i may watch it if they make a sequel about how Jamie Foxx's president guy actually turns out to be a dirty politician and has done more for violence in the middle east and on our own soil and constantly covers up potentially criminal negligent scandals, constantly lies to the people, pushes out mostly ineffective or bad bills and is overall a monster in reality but a friggin jesus when it comes to media portrayal.
Then i'd watch that. Awesome twist.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
Hellfireboy said:
This is the wonder of tribalism. "It's ok for a dumb movie to be about something, just so long as I agree with it".

Could you imagine Bob's review if this movie had been made during the Bush Administration, with Not-George-Bush fighting OWS protestors and Islamic Terrorists? Methinks the word "awesome" probably wouldn't have come up in the review.
Which is funny you bring that up, since in reality, obama is acting the complete opposite of how the movie is portraying him.
Instead of peaceful and ending wars, he's started up more fronts and has attempted to arm several people who shouldn't be armed. Not to mention unrestricted drone warfare that has a more than 50% civilian kill rate.

And really, Racist right winged military industrial complex ex NSA agents?

Thats offensive not only to non Obama supporters, thats insulting to anyone with a reading level above the 6th grade.

Thats like if they made a movie about a rand paul stand in where he fought singlehandedly against the entire state of California that was taken over by militant jihadist, communist, hippies who were part of the OWS who tried to take away everyone's gun and shot up schools while blaming the people they confiscate guns from.

Its just silly as all hell and kind of stupid.

Only reason Red Dawn and similar cold war movies got away with it was because we seriously thought that shit was possible and reasonable.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
Hellfireboy said:

Which is funny you bring that up, since in reality, obama is acting the complete opposite of how the movie is portraying him.
Instead of peaceful and ending wars, he's started up more fronts and has attempted to arm several people who shouldn't be armed. Not to mention unrestricted drone warfare that has a more than 50% civilian kill rate.

And really, Racist right winged military industrial complex ex NSA agents?

Thats offensive not only to non Obama supporters, thats insulting to anyone with a reading level above the 6th grade.

Thats like if they made a movie about a rand paul stand in where he fought singlehandedly against the entire state of California that was taken over by militant jihadist, communist, hippies who were part of the OWS who tried to take away everyone's gun and shot up schools while blaming the people they confiscate guns from.

Its just silly as all hell and kind of stupid.

Only reason Red Dawn and similar cold war movies got away with it was because we seriously thought that shit was possible and reasonable.
My issue is not that it's dumb (hell, the original "Red Dawn" was pretty dumb), I just believe that if Emmerich had made the exact same movie but had basically reversed the roles (ie. Republican President fighting against a left-wing Paramilitary group) Bob would have torn it to shreds.