Escape to the Movies: Wreck-It Ralph

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Little Duck said:
Here in the UK we don't get to see this till February.
When will they realise that in the digital age if you want to combat piracy a 3 month gap between release in various markets won't help.
I know, it's genuinely ridiculous. I intend to pay to see this film, but I will bet the price of my cinema ticket, my popcorn, my drink and everyone else's ticket drink etc (So what, £60? £90 in 3D?) that whatever reason they trump up it will have cost them more money than to just release the film in line with America. It's the same language, so no translation, and like you said, people will be more than willing to pirate this but more importantly, the main crowd who are interested in this, the gamers, yeah. These are the guys who are the escapist, on gametrailers, gamespot, reddit, 4chan. They know about this film. And they will now start to lose interest between now and it's release.

This is a dumb and expensive decision.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I just came back from seeing this. It is outstanding. This movie does just about everything perfectly.
Aiddon said:
Because you then bring up the question: "Why did you make that character a woman in the first place?" If you don't do anything that makes the audience aware of their gender besides just physical reasons you've failed as a writer. And the reason most game writers represent women that way is because most gamers despise "girly" things like insecurities, previous baggage, feminine hobbies or interests, or just making them aware of being women. Gamers hate being reminded of women so they try to make them as masculine as possible to pander to the demographic.
Without spoiling anything, there are actually plot related reasons why the character is female. Also, it's apparently a parody of female characters in games like Gears of War, that are basically dudes with boobs. Also, trust me, this movie has no shortage of "girly" things.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ohnoitsabear said:
Without spoiling anything, there are actually plot related reasons why the character is female. Also, it's apparently a parody of female characters in games like Gears of War, that are basically dudes with boobs. Also, trust me, this movie has no shortage of "girly" things.
Good, because those characters NEED some parody thrown their way so maybe writers can get a hint to stop doing that.

Charisma

Oct 28, 2008
I see this thread devolving into yet another internet gender argument, and I'm sorry to add to it, but screw it, this is the internet.

I and a buddy of mine were talking about something very similar; female protagonists, and why they so often seem like guys with boobs. Our conclusion was that the male gender has a monopoly on all or most of the traits of a good protagonist (proactivity, willpower, self-confidence), so unless you're writing an offbeat story with an abnormal protagonist, your main character is going to resemble a guy, even with boobs.

I would argue that these traditional trait-gender associations reflect a biochemical ideal, because we defaulted to them when our species was in danger. But the days of sabretooth tigers are gone and we no longer have to optimize gender roles. Some day we may not associate strength with men at all, or weakness with women. Words like "manly" won't even exist anymore, because that won't suggest anything but whether one is an "innie" or an "outie." The very existence of the Calhoun subversion suggests we have a lot of work before we've made ourselves how we want to be, but as far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with how things are now, or the direction things are going. We're just caught in an awkward phase of our social evolution.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Australia's release date is 26th December... I thought that was bad, but February?! How long does it take to translate a movie into British these days?

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
So i just got back from a showing of the movie, and the absolute funniest thing happened to me.

While waiting in line for the movie, I'm just standing there all by my lonesome when I hear some kid yelling about one of the cardboard cutouts. And this is what he said (paraphrased, due to lack of proper short-term memory) "look! Look! its that mario character sonic!"

I just stood there trying to stifle my laughter.

Also:
I DID NOT PREDICT THAT REVEAL.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I saw the first showing I could in a theater near my college.

The theater was pretty full, and most people had come with their children or with a date. I think I was the only one there by myself

All in all, I thought it was a very good movie, though it's not the kind of movie I'd watch again.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
QUINTIX said:
>Gives trolls every reason to believe "overthinker will be a slobering fanboy" for this movie
>Has the humility to say "not as good as Toy Story," puts his degree in cinema to work as always

Why do absolute creeps like him [http://deadhorseinterchange.com/wiki/index.php?title=Templar_Gamer] or this shallow troofer [http://www.gamefront.com/videogame-reviews-arent-the-exciting-spy-thrillers-you-want-them-to-be] whom Jim Sterling thoroughly debunks continue to have fans?
Was Templar debunked? i dont remember that happening

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
I just came back from watching it. I have to say I really enjoyed it. I liked the references, but the actual story was very engaging. I liked how it flowed.

The people in my group were half-joking about how kids movies are much more entertaining than more adult-ish movies.

Timnoldzim

May 19, 2012
Oh, boy... when Bob said "Unfortunately..." I got nervous for a second. Good to know this movie is good! Been excited for it!

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Hang on a sec, what's with this prevailing idea that "Hero's Duty" is a Gears of War knock-off? To me, it appears to be a direct knock-off of Starcraft, with Jude Lynch playing a character very similar to Nova. Hell, the armor is almost directly out of Starcraft, and the Cyberbugs are definitely Zerg-like.

Great movie though, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

tobimaro

Nov 23, 2010
Gee, I may actually have to go to a movie theater for the first time in years. This movie looks to be a good one.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
I just got back from watching it. My god it was an awesome movie. I love the characters. Vanellope is so adorably awesome that at certain scenes it makes me tear up. Ralph is a good guy through and through. It is so very awesome. A great movie. You should all see it!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Wreck-It-Ralph was a great film. I really loved it.

Wreck-It-Raplh spoiler

I thought it was absolutely adorable when Vanellope was showing off the peddle car she built and how she was peddling it and honking the horn on it. It was adorable

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Oh god DAMN I am happy this thing is good! It was already a must-see, but now I don't have to worry that it might let me down.