Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
X-Men: First Class

More than just first class, it's one of the best superhero movies ever.

Watch Video

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
I am remarkably shocked by how well this film apparently turned out.

And a little bit disappointed; I was all set to hate this.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm going to see it next Wednesday on my birthday. Hopefully, I'll enjoy it.

Your description makes it sounds like something I'd like.

For the record, I'm a mental patient who liked X-men 3. I mean, not as much as 1 or 2, of course. But I liked it. Never saw Wolverine due to massive disinterest in the titular character.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Glad to hear that First Class is a higher grade of film than it's predecessors.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
HankMan said:
I hate your puns... Because I laugh at every single one of them...

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
It negates that awful piece of crap that was Origins: Wolverine? Gotta see this sometime soon.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Everybody is too harsh on the last stand.
It was fine for what it was.
True, it wasn't my favourite, but it's not a terrible abomination.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Oh good. Not the only one who noticed the big fuck you to the original movie series continuity. And I' fine with that. Which is why I reckon there will be a sequel. This seems to be more of a reboot than a prequel.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Woah, so it's not the lame-ass high school drama with whiny, good looking teenagers with awesome super powers bitching about how normal they are?! I'm going to see this.

May 17, 2010
jovack22 said:
Agreed. It was flawed but still enjoyable for me.

I saw this film today and while I didn't enjoy it as much as Bob did, it is deinetely a very good film.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
YES! Thank god we've got out of that generic rut that was the last 2 films. I was hoping this would be the case, as it had license to go where it wanted to, being a prequel, and it follows Charles and Magneto, two of the most interesting characters. Also, up there with Dark Knight? Damn, this is a must see!

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
A good X-Men movie that nullifies the last the two? I'm jumping on that.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Sounds fantastic. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting to a movie theater anytime soon so I'll have to rent it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
jovack22 said:
But it is crap comparable to Spider-Man 3.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Well... I was not expecting MovieBob to give this a good review (I haven't seen it yet). It just seemed like Fox were making the movie simply to keep the rights to the franchise.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I...I don't know how to put this. I have for so long pegged this movie as a sure fire dud and to hear it even considered to be placed up with Dark Knight. I'm still not sold, but I'm certainly more interested then I ever was before.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
jovack22 said:
Aye, and for what it's worth Wolverine was decent as well. I enjoyed it, it inspired one of the few decent movie-based videogames, and I bet the only reason so many people were freaking out and blasting Wolverine was because of Deadpool. They already stated if they were going to do an Origin Story for Deadpool, it wouldn't be related to Wolverine, yet even in the ending of said movie, he does one last Deadpool-esque act, which I thought was rather funny.

And I really wish people would stop praising the Dark Knight, it's like beating a dead frackin horse now and I felt there was more than a few inconsistencies with it that didn't fit, one of which being Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker for the most part.

Thincrust

Sep 2, 2010
Arkvoodle said:

I agree completely.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
I thought Last Stand was an ok film.

What's really that bad about it?
I even thought Origins was ok. Not as good as X1 or X2, but still not as terrible as everyone says.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Wait, what, it's GOOD? well color me surprised. Movie franchises being milked for sequels long after they stopped being good usually don't come back from the dead like this.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
I must see it now.

I loved Thor and most critics claim this is even better then Thor. MovieBob saying its on TDK levels just gets me all excited.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Saw this movie last night, loved the hell out of it, I would see it again if movie tickets weren't so expensive these days

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Roggen Bread said:
Am I the only one who actually liked Origins: Wolverine?
No, I know like... one other guy.

So, yeah, wow. If this movie is placed up with Dark Knight, then I gotta see this.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Sadly, the stupid trailers that keep interupting the site's content mid-video kept freezing everything up. I eventually got this to work about 20 minutes later than I should have.

Regardless, I am happy my faith in Marvel was not unfounded. Let's just hope the Captain America film, the Spider-Man reboot and the Avengers film make this a home-run.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Just saw the movie, I agree that it kicks the third movie square in the nuts in terms of continuity, but the whole Wolverine thing...ehh sorta...just by having the Ice Queen be in Origins and this.
I really enjoyed the movie, but a couple of things kept it from being over the top for me. Way too many references felt really really crowbared in, I mean one of the last lines "no you're not G-men, you're X-men" made me groan. There were points that I just got tired of them beating me over the head with the whole, hey look its the X-men look, look!
Also the fact that they really don't give the characters that much to do really disappointed me, Xavier and Magneto are really the ones carrying the movie entirely. You get some glimpses of Raven and a few other characters, but even then they are mostly back ground and some characters really do damn near nothing. And because of this some of the performances really felt lame compared to the leads.
Also felt that the end of the movie was a bit sped up for the character development, it really felt like Raven's turn was way, way too quick.

Also maybe this is just a direct translation from the comic, but what the heck is with the bad guy's super powers. He has the power to absorb energy, radiation, fire, etc. Ok cool, but it is a bit hard to swallow that this basically makes him untouchable because its like lol bullet, that's clearly kinetic energy so I can get hit by it and be completely fine.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Random Argument Man said:
Roggen Bread said:
You're not the only one. I thought it was of a "So bad it's good" movie.
I couldn't even manage that.

My problem with this film, which I haven't even seen, is that THE TRAILERS GIVE FUCKING EVERYTHING AWAY.

Jesus. I don't even need to see the goddamn film because the trailers have told me all I need to know!

/grumbles more

//will still probably see this because, if it's good, it's good

///but GODDAMNIT

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I'm going to see it later today for my first date/kiss. I am 100% sure this movie will rock.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
i was mainly against this movie because i thought they were adapting on of my favourite comic book series. X-men: first class (not the best and not my FAVOURITE, but still pretty good), but i guess they just have the same name, so i don't have anything to worry/rant about

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
Awesome. I had heard good things, but the initial trailer got me worried. Seeing it later today! :3

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'll admit it, I was pretty on the fence about it. I was still mad at The Last Stand for ruining Multiple Man (Madrox being my favorite mutant character) among other things and Wolverine for...well...just about everything except Ryan Reynolds playing a decent Wade (before they screwed up Deadpool)

I'm glad to hear this movie is good, and I'll probably head out to go see it sometime this weekend.

Thanks Movie Bob! :D

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
All my friends made plans to go and watch this movie right in the middle of my exam period. This glowing review has done nothing to ease my fury at them.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
I wasn't interested in that movie as I thought they were dragging out something they should have stopped making worse a few movies ago. But if it's good AND negated the last two movies? Hell yes I'm going to see it. Can't wait.

I was kind of lukewarm when I saw Mystique wasn't the same actress (isn't she supposed to be over 100 years old or something? Why is she still a teenager at the same time as X and Magneto?) but past the gut reaction I had to it, I think it's cool they picked a new actress. Actually, I pretty much don't know any of the actors in the movie, and I think that's a really good thing, especially if they're so good. It's nice to discover talent so I'm glad they got that opportunity and that the movie didn't go for a more traditional "let's re-use all the stars even if we have to force them into the movie" a la Hobbit.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
I actually really liked the Last Stand - It had good storyline, character conflicts and it was damn fun. And oh yeah awesome EPIC battle at the end. Last Stand owned compared to the first two movies which I felt were too formulaic and devoid of any entertainment value. However I do agree about the Wolverine debacle ? it was deplorable. And I must say I know very little to nil about the X-men comics, universes, whatever - which could stand behind why I enjoyed so much the Last Stand while the fans did not.

Can't wait for First Class to hit Europe, great review.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Avistew said:
I wasn't interested in that movie as I thought they were dragging out something they should have stopped making worse a few movies ago. But if it's good AND negated the last two movies? Hell yes I'm going to see it. Can't wait.

I was kind of lukewarm when I saw Mystique wasn't the same actress (isn't she supposed to be over 100 years old or something? Why is she still a teenager at the same time as X and Magneto?) but past the gut reaction I had to it, I think it's cool they picked a new actress. Actually, I pretty much don't know any of the actors in the movie, and I think that's a really good thing, especially if they're so good. It's nice to discover talent so I'm glad they got that opportunity and that the movie didn't go for a more traditional "let's re-use all the stars even if we have to force them into the movie" a la Hobbit.
About Mystique:
The explanation they give in the movie is that because of her cell structure she ages at half the rate of normal humans. Though they kind of dick this explanation in their own movie because they present her as a child at the same time Xavier is a child and yet the are both young adults at the same time when the movie skips ahead in time.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Well, based on the other X-men movies, (and I thought they all were horrible) I had no interest in this. Guess I should check it out now. But then again. Spiderman was in Movie-bobs top 3 superhero movies?...hmmmmm

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Smokescreen said:
Random Argument Man said:
Roggen Bread said:
You're not the only one. I thought it was of a "So bad it's good" movie.
I couldn't even manage that.

My problem with this film, which I haven't even seen, is that THE TRAILERS GIVE FUCKING EVERYTHING AWAY.

Jesus. I don't even need to see the goddamn film because the trailers have told me all I need to know!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygvoOcPl8g

Watch this. After I've seen the "kid screaming", I knew that it was going to be bad. I just went with it. I didn't even think twice. I poked jokes out of it. In the end, it was a movie buff sniping competition.

The only way to have fun is to make fun out of it.

It's something that "critics like moviebob" could never accomplish because they took the source material a little too seriously. Also, it's important to point out that not everyone can do this.However, if you have some time to kill someday at a rental store, then try it out. That, or you could find other movies to pratice your "poking" skills.

Note* By the way, I always have this rule of taking trailers with a "pinch of salt". Don't take for granted with what they show you.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
UnknownGunslinger said:
Can't wait for First Class to hit Europe, great review.
Where are you from? It's been out since the 1st of June here (France).

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Wait, Nicholas Hoult was good in something? Damn... I mean, I like Skins, but that guy showed all the acting skill of a plank of wood.

OT: Excited to see this tomorrow!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Great I even more tempted to go watch this now! By all means I want to watch it but I'm saving my cinema trips for a few films which my next one is Green Lantern which is out in a few weeks time.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
I never really know what to think of a film when moviebob says it's as good as watchmen... one of his favourites.

That film was f***ing awful on every level.
so... not sure about this.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
you don't have to tell me twice... WE ARE ALL GOING TO WATCH THIS ONE, it's time for a reset for the X-men! (too bad though, I like captain of the enterprise; whose name i couldn't spell, as prof. X...He's SOOOOOOO fitting for that role!!!) I was too shattered back then, with the destruction of Juggernaut (they made him a mutant, and used a You tube reference quote? it's obviously shamed of it's source material, and try to make joke out of it, but they trampled on my favorite character; Juggernaut, "it ain't mutant power, it's MAGIC!"... they could have easily fix it by him ramming to that last wall, breaking it, and fall off the building, in to the water, and the girl holding the boy, looking downward and say "looks like your power doesn't work for EVERYONE..." I HATE THAT SCENE!)

TobiasFunke

May 17, 2011
I loved First Class I thought it was brilliant I really loved the scene with Wolverine! James McAvoy was amazing in it!!!

Sep 17, 2009
How is a mediocre piece comic adaptation directed by the always terrible Zack Snyder like Watchmen in your Top 3, but not The Dark Knight?

I am just going to come out and say it.

I don't think a comic book movie where the superhero has actual powers can ever be as good as The Dark Knight.

OT:

I love X-men and based on reviews so far it is looking like one of the best superhero movies to date, but I wish people would stop comparing it to The Dark Knight, that movie was in a different class...it was a Nolan film for christ sakes.

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
Saw it on Wednesday, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Little cheesy in parts, though not in an awful way, and maybe a tad too hurried, but overall well worth watching, and likely re-watching.

Sep 17, 2009
TobiasFunke said:
I loved First Class I thought it was brilliant
I really loved the scene with Wolverine!
James McAvoy was amazing in it!!!
Hey dude how about using spoiler brackets for stuff like this?

Oh here let me do it for you.

Have some common courtesy please.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
This is a surprising review. From some of the cheesy one liners in it's trailer, and the whole prequel/ younger characters, I was expecting more of the same with a twilight twist. Maybe I'll give this a shot after all.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Huh... Interesting. I didn't expect the movie to be good, and putting Havok in still bugs me, but if it got Bob excited, it can't be that bad.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
HankMan said:
Thank God you're here...

Thank God also that this movie is not worse, but actually beter than X3 and Origins.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Awesome :)

I like it when both MovieBob and Spill.com agree on a good movie.
I'm going to see this thing tomorrow!

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
I could accept this movie is a good prequel, and that it does the heroic act of erasing Last Stand and Origins (And Dudepeel with the last one), but there's one little bit of continuity snarl that really gets under my skin. On the second X-Men movie, we see a cameo from then human Hank McCoy, future Beast. In the third movie, he's suddenly there as the Beast, with no explanation about when and how that happened, and everyone was happy and amicable with him like he's been there from the beggining despite no mention made in the previous two movies. Now, on this one, Beast is there from the very beggining, already turned into the big blue genius bruiser eveyrone loves. It's just hard for me to accept this movie while that ugly thread keeps on poking out, poking me in the eye.

TobiasFunke

May 17, 2011
Nautical Honors Society said:
TobiasFunke said:

I am sorry! I did not even think! Apologies!

MBE

Jul 1, 2009
Or, how about "Hangover 3" be a prequel? How the wolfpack got together, with the help of a time-traveling Zach Galifianakis? Or "Hangover 3" be a reboot with an all new cast?

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
I saw this yesterday and it's fucking brilliant. Seriously. My favourite bit is the cameo with Xavier, Magneto and xxxcensoredxxx. If you've seen it you'll know what I'm on about. It's really funny.

p.s. I liked Last Stand and Wolverine. Please don't hit me!

Lordedubs

Sep 11, 2010
I just saw it last night and it was much better then 3 or Origins: Wolverine. When I left the theater I was laughing and talking enthusiastically whit friends. when I saw the last 2 movies in theaters there was nothing but silence from me and my buds as we walked to the car believing we had just watched the end of the X-men.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Awesome. I'm so taking my brother to go see this. I was hoping it'd be good.
So excited!

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
voidspawn said:
No lame rabbit and frog skit about how this is just another cash-in sequel?
Ha!

I see what you are saying, but I also can't imagine he'd have had enough to say about the Hangover 2 without putting in some kind of filler. (And I'm willing to bet he doesn't get paid to submit two minute reviews.)

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Like so many others I was going to skip this one until I saw this review. I expected Bob to hate it for whatever myriad reasons (most of them relating to it being a bad movie), but I'm surprised to see that's not the case.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I actually liked Wolverine's Origins. But as always, I also lack lore knowledge and general nostalgia so I have nothing to compare to.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I see the comparison to Dark Knight because it's a little more high-minded. Focusing on character development, interpersonal relationships and conflicts, it's the best of both worlds for an action movie: brain and brawn (fantastically epic action sequences).

It's not as good as Dark Knight if we're dealing with philosophies and themes. The mature themes of social prejudice and civil rights is not as developed because the homo sapien perspective isn't shown at all. We don't get to see how the public take the existence of mutants like in the first two Xmen movies (or Xmen Evolution, goddamn I love that show). We only see the military side of USA and Russia, and there's no politics to what action should be taken.

Overall, agree with nearly everything he said. Knew he'd love it when I saw it yesterday.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Compared to what Wolverine went through to get his skelleton and his Weapon X training it's like comparing Alien vs Predator to... Well anything else with either xenos (except maybe Alien 3).
In other words they took the teeth out of it to sell more tickets, and it backfired.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Definitely going to see this one Bob, on the other hand, why is there so much hate for the Wolverine movie? Sure X-men 3 wasn't very good but Wolverine was a kick ass movie from beginning to end with all the actors playing their parts perfectly and the scriptwriter(s) making outstanding dialogue for all the characters. Sorry Bob but your opinion of that movie is extremely biased (as ironic as that sounds).

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
Bu... but I LIKED the Last Stand.... :<

Granted, the Wolverine movie was drek, but I thought the third was a far cry from terrible.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
As much as I loathe the uniforms the characters are in now..

..I may be convinced to see this movie for the sheer sake of giving it a shot. Maybe.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
Erases them from continuity?
I'm interested in seeing how they pull that off.
I'm guessing it's got something to do with Beast, Angel and Wolverine.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
TimeLord said:
I thought Last Stand was an ok film.

What's really that bad about it?
I even thought Origins was ok. Not as good as X1 or X2, but still not as terrible as everyone says.
Last Stand was nowhere near as good as the outstanding X2, but was enjoyable in its own right. I really enjoyed Origins too...but they criminally underused Deadpool...and kinda wrecked his character at the end.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

Your description makes it sounds like something I'd like.

For the record, I'm a mental patient who liked X-men 3. I mean, not as much as 1 or 2, of course. But I liked it. Never saw Wolverine due to massive disinterest in the titular character.
Lemme say as someone who's never seen anything XMen related before and who isn't really into super hero films - It's actually pretty good.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Arkvoodle said:

You sound like my buddy. Said he isn't going to watch it because he hated number 3.

OT: Already got my tickets for Sunday lol. I knew this was gonna be awesome but Dark Knight awesome? Yes Please.

Kiereek

Nov 18, 2008
I don't understand where all this hate for X3 and that last one came from. I thought they were really good, and nobody complained about them here.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Frackin' SWEET!

OK, I'll hold my own judgement until I see it, but I thought The Last Stand was barely decent and Wolverine was just disgusting filmwork, made worse so by the fact that most of my family thinks it's one of the best. How!?!?!?!?!?

But I'm going to see this one with some friends tonight, so I hope it's as good as Bob claims it is.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Nami nom noms said:
I never really know what to think of a film when moviebob says it's as good as watchmen... one of his favourites.

That film was f***ing awful on every level.
so... not sure about this.
I'm glad SOMEONE agrees. Seeing it as a 7.7 on imdb made me question humanity a little bit.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Well this is definitely a surprise.I was a bit reluctant wanting to see this movie,but after all the praise that it get I think I am going to check it out and see for myself.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
How did last stand and wolverine kill the x-men movie franchise as both were profitable?

Also did you really think last stand was better than wolverine? how last stand was atrocious only film i've ever walked out on.

Finally before calling this a success let's see how much money it makes.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I really likes this movie. Fassbender was just fucking awesome in my opinion. Want I really want to know is this: *ahem*

WHEN THE HELL AM I GOING TO GET A MOVIE WITH COLOSSUS IN A DECENT ROLE I MEAN GEEZUS PEOPLE??? *huff puff*

Okay, I'll calm down now.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
I was ready to let this one pass off into obscurity, but if its really that good, then I will give it a shot.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I get you disliked Hangover part II bob, but your little quip at the end "forget the first two movies" thats implying the first one was bad which it wasn't at all.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
In movies it is easier to establish verisimilitude when you only give the audience a single unbelievable conceit to accept. That is why ancillary and main characters are now mutants instead of aliens or wizards or gods. Stop bitching about it and just accept it. Stan Lee actually was quite brilliant introducing the idea of mutation in the original comics because it allowed a variety of powers with only one origin. Why comic fans feel that needs to be screwed up with a bunch of silly nonsense is beyond me.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I saw this the other day (I love my local!) and while I don't think its quite as good as MovieBob says, It is definetely well worth going to see if you're a fan of comic book films. I thought the comic nods to things such as Charle's hair were a nice touch, and it was nice to see Xavier as a bit of a dick and a ladies man . My second & third biggest complaints are that it goes along a too speedy a pace which makes some things feel a little forced (more on that in a minute) and some of the scenes, namely the office scene between young Eric and Shaw and the "we need codenames bit" are too cheesy even for a comic book film.

My biggest complaint is about the ending:

First of all, I have to say I really liked the ending. I thought the crippling of Xavier was a brilliant idea and seeing Magneto in full costume at the end was a pure geek moment, but I think they went too far. I think the film would have ended better without the attack on the mutants and instead Charles and Erik ending as still Allies, but with a slighty strained friendship. Ending it as they did meant the shift in alligences (specifically Mystiques) felt too sudden, and a sequal exploring the breaking of their friendship alongside a bigger threat (possibly set in the late 60's to paralel the 2 sides of the civil rights movement) is, I think, an oppotunity missed.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
As much as I try I really can't disagree enough, this film was pretty average. No where near as good as the Dark Knight when taken on its own merits, but not so bad as to be as terrible as the last 2 movies (Last Stand and Origins)

And if I ever hear James Mcavoy utter the phrase "what a groovy mutation" no one on my street will sleep again for the amount of insane rage filled screaming I will perform

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
I'm glad Jeniffer Lawrence is getting more work. Is it weird that every young actor I'm excited to see more of is usually a girl? It happened with Kirsten Dunst in Interview with a Vampire, and recently it has been Chloe Moretz, Emma Stone, and Saoirse Ronan. Where are the new Macaulay Culkins or Haley Joel Osments?

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
daxterx2005 said:
I get you disliked Hangover part II bob, but your little quip at the end "forget the first two movies" thats implying the first one was bad which it wasn't at all.
I agree, and the only reason the second one is looked down upon is because it is an obvious cash in. If they made another hangover (in 5 or so years) that did some new things, i would be on board. I think that's what made the first hangover so good... it had fresh ideas and tone.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
So, First Class turned out to actually be First Class in the quality department?
Who'd have thunk?

Not me, but I'm glad it did anyway!

May 17, 2010
Dead_Lee said:
Care to explain which scenes undermine the previous two x-men films?
He is talking in terms of continuity and how it ignores established continuity for example Wolverine ended with a Bald but still able ot walk Charles, but in this film that isn't the order in which events transpire

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
AvauntVanguard said:
I actually liked Wolverine's Origins. But as always, I also lack lore knowledge and general nostalgia so I have nothing to compare to.
They screwed up so badly on the lore of the movie. The actual story of Weapon X is fascinating, and the sole reason why Wolverine is so fun to watch and learn about. The movie did exactly what every comic lover is afraid a movie will do... make a good movie, but not about the fiction we love. We would rather have an ok movie that follows the story to the T (ie Watchmen, Sin City).

azra_jael

Mar 19, 2010
Oh man, I was already really excited for this movie (LOVE the X-Men), but now I'm 100 times more excited!

+100 points for erasing Origins, though I really didn't mind the X3. Not the best, but I found it at least marginally entertaining to watch. Origins though.... *shudder*

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I just saw this. I don't think it's nearly as good as Bob says it is. Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie, and it does look like Citizen Kane when compared to Wolverine, but there are a lot of sloppy scenes and pretty much the whole beginning was terrible.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I was totally expecting this to be crap, but I'm gonna catch this now, people are loving it all over.

Also: Michael Fassbender <3

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Wow. Movie Bob is never going to forgive the first couple of X-Men movies for the "yellow spandex" snub, is he...?

I guess I just have to write that off as the same misguided comic-fan dementia that thinks shoehorning Robin into the new Batman movies would be a good idea.

(Sorry, Bob, just have to give you a little shit about those.)

At least in the mod-sixties setting, the bright colors make a bit more sense.

I'm glad to hear that it's good; I'll look forward to giving it a go.

cursedseishi said:
Aye, and for what it's worth Wolverine was decent as well. I enjoyed it, it inspired one of the few decent movie-based videogames, and I bet the only reason so many people were freaking out and blasting Wolverine was because of Deadpool.
Ah HA HA HA HA!... No.

Tell you what. Go watch Wolverine again. Now come back and tell me why Wolverine and Gambit have that long stupid fight. Actually, tell me why Gambit is in the movie at all.

It's no wonder it was responsible for one of the better movie video games; the movie itself is paced like a video game, in all the worst senses of the word. It pretty literally assumes the audience will get bored if there isn't a "boss fight" every twenty minutes or so. What remains between the action sequences is mediocre fanservice and feeble, stilted attempts to shoehorn the film into the existing continuity.

If you can enjoy it for that, hey, I don't hold it against you. But please, don't pretend for one single instant that most or even the majority of the dislike for the thing is limited to some kind of mindless Deadpool fanboyism.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Abedeus said:
jovack22 said:
But it is crap comparable to Spider-Man 3.
Hallelujah! Speak it from the Mountain!

OT: I will definitely have to check this out.....now to Google January Jones images.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
So despite the fact that young magneto looks silly in his helmet, people hated the photoshopped croch head posters, and people are getting Angel mixed up with Angel from the abomination that was Last Stand it's still a good movie?

Well alright then :)

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
10 Bucks (don't worry, I haven't seen/ know anything about this) that it shows Wolverine being born.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
I'm going to trust you on that one mister Robert.

I bought my ticket for tomorrow, will post my thoughts when I'm back from the cinema.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Well if its as good as Dark Knight then I look forward to this coming to seeing this. Though one small thing that bugged me was Beast was originally just an abnormally strong and agile human but eventually turned into his more animalistic form; would've been nice to show the viewers that.

Efrede

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks for the thumbs up Bob I was all set to not go see this but I'll give a whirl now.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
ShadowsofHope said:
As much as I loathe the uniforms the characters are in now..

..I may be convinced to see this movie for the sheer sake of giving it a shot. Maybe.
Actually, in X-Men: The Last stand, I believe Beast was actually complaining about the older costumes...plus I think the characters also complain about the costumes, in one trailer.

OT: Haven't seen it yet but holy shit you sounded fucking excited! I might actually try to see this one, great review.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Ok, I was on the fence about seeing this after the horror that was the last two x-men movies. But now that I'm hearing that these movies are being negated from our minds(Highlander 2 style), I just might recommend this to my friends.

Because I'm sure as hell not going to be alone if First Class fails to meet up with my expectations, and I openly plead to the gods that MovieBob be struck down for getting my hopes up... or not.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
3....fucking...27...

oh my fucking god. my ass is on its way to the theatre as we speak. all i needed to see was those costumes, and all doubts I had about this being a good movie vanished like Cyclops shot me in the face.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
In retrospect, this is a long one. Grab a soda and enjoy:
When I saw Thor a few weeks ago I got up to use the restroom as the trailer for this movie was starting, because it was the movie I cared for the least. X-men isn't really my thing for the most part. I personally thought the first three movies were lukewarm experiments in superhero movies at best, and just groan-inducing failures at worst.
To back up my OPINION (don't start a quote war with me please), note that Sabretooth doesn't even speak in the first movie, just growls whenever he has to reply. That's movie shit I can't stand. "Big guys can't have a functional brain." At least Bane (as in the so-called movie Batman Whatever) had enough gray cells to repeat the last word anyone said to him. But maybe they were making up for a guy that can't act? I don't know. And the Juggernaut? Really? Just boil him down to an internet joke that wasn't funny in the first place? And they even had a good actor play that character. I bet the helmet helped hide his I-can't-believe-I'm-saying-this-shit-but-man!-I'm-getting-well-paid-for-it face.
Rant aside, from what I heard from my friends I should have stuck around for the trailer, but I really didn't want to have to get up in the middle of the movie. I've kept my expectations rather low for this one, but if they actually put in the work to try to say "Those last two didn't happen" I might just have to pony up for a ticket. Just seeing the bits in this review have me actually a little "X"-cited? Gawd, that hurt to type but I couldn't resist.
P.S. MovieBob: Excellent dig on The Hangover movies at the end there. I couldn't believe how many people acted personally affronted that you didn't like the sequel.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm actually glad Fox gets to keep the series. Just as movie studios don't care much for superhero films beyond making money, Marvel is FAR too much in love with their lore to understand that you can't make movies the same way you make comic books. It's why Iron Man 2 and Thor had such SERIOUS story issues, all which seem to get a hand wave just because they're setting up the Avengers

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I'll see it and probably enjoy it (I love Vaughn). But this is still frustrating as Hell. What I want to see, and what most fans probably want to see, is some characters / storylines from the 80's-90's era of the comics. The way they set this up in the 60's, with the characters they used, another reboot would be necessary to do this. That means that by the time we see a powered up Rogue, a sussed out Gambit, Cyclops and Colossus, and the appearance of Psylocke, the Morlocks, the Sentinels, Sinister and Apocalypse, at least a decade will have passed.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
I'm a combo of happy and sad, happy it's a good movie will def see it now. But I'm sad that marvel won't be getting it back sooner from Fox, I really don't like how Fox handles anything.

Mjolnir36

Jun 7, 2010
what language where those movie posters in, I want to say german but I can't be sure.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Sequel? The Sentinels? Jeez I hope so. Seriously, how could they only exist in the crappiest movie as a just a training program . . . oh and in the GAME for the third movie which was also very bad.

I'd love to see me some big giant robots go up against mutants.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Huh, I would have guessed it to be in the same category as the new pirates movie. What a wonderful surprise, now I'll have to see it!

Phlakes

+15 Dagger of Socks
Mar 25, 2010
Damn, and I had just finished telling my friend he shouldn't bother with it...

Mar 20, 2010
I just came home from the theater. Let me tell ya. Bob speaks the truth. Go watch this movie, its one of the best movies based on Marvel comics yet. (if not the best) I'm not kidding when i say, i'm gonna see it again next monday.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Im genuinely surprised. I was about to pass this film off. I agree taht X3 sucked and Wolverine sucked, so I was going to just say this was going to be a cash in and nothing more. Maybe I will see it afterall.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Origins 'poster' was in french :D
also: I definitely like the 60s feel they gave it. Will definitely check it out :)

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Echo136 said:
Im genuinely surprised. I was about to pass this film off. I agree taht X3 sucked and Wolverine sucked, so I was going to just say this was going to be a cash in and nothing more. Maybe I will see it afterall.
This. A good review from Bob means I'm likely to see this now, but now I've got my hopes up I'm slightly nervous. Twice burned, lesson learned and all that. If the review is accurate, then it will be nice to see my favourite comic finally treated with the proper care and attention.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Hey say what you want, the opening credits scene of the Wolverine movie was damn cool... if nothing else was as good...

Sep 17, 2009
TobiasFunke said:
TobiasFunke said:

Wow you are very nice...sorry for being a jerk. But yea just for me next time. Thanks man!

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
......the only x man movies i liked were the first and origens..... (for different reasons cause lets face it if u didnt go into origens thinking its just wolverine beating the shit out of things with little real story im sorry but that was a mistake.)

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Saw this at the midnight release. Didn't arrive quite early enough, so I got stuck in the second row, little too close for my tastes, but still, good god this movie was awesome.

Michael Fassbender is as good of a magneto and Sir Ian McKellan. I never thought I would say that.

Also, possibly one of the best cameos during the "recruitment" scene. The whole audience just lost it, it was too funny.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Arkvoodle said:

Me too. Now I feel conflicted.

OT: Massive Xmen fan, didn't like the idea of breaking continuity, but Wolverine was already being erased from the timeline...

Why can't James McAvoy get a job with his own accent?

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Yay! I was really hoping this movie wouldn't suck, it looked relatively good (which is funny because the X-Men movies are all terrible)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Frist Xmen film was way to realistic and dim, 2nd one was bad the thrid one a steaming pile, this one gets it, make a comic film not a bland hollywoodized action film that bares no resemblance to the IP its made from....

CthulhuRlyeh

May 29, 2011
How is a mediocre piece comic adaptation directed by the always terrible Zack Snyder like Watchmen in your Top 3, but not The Dark Knight?

I don't think a comic book movie where the superhero has actual powers can ever be as good as The Dark Knight.

OT:

I love X-men and based on reviews so far it is looking like one of the best superhero movies to date, but I wish people would stop comparing it to The Dark Knight, that movie was in a different class...it was a Nolan film for christ sakes.
Not trying to be a dick, but cmon! Thinking that TDK will always be the best is arrogant. It is a great movie, but it isnt a perfect movie (mostly because of the editing and because the movie tends to fall apart on rewatches). First Class isnt as good, but it is really close.
Also, since when is Nolan some kind of God of film making?

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
I just don't trust his reviews anymore. That is, I don't think his and my opinions on movies are close, and so don't watch things.

He compared it to Dark Knight in quality, and while that had a few good performances, the actual movie was pretty terrible.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Hmmmmm. I liked Origins: Wolverine..... (especially the intro credits war scenes. Those were cool)

Guess I'd really like this then.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
But you see, I for one have never seen X-men as a particularily interesting or unique series.
To be frank, I find it rather dull compared to other things.

So, for me, it's like Movie Bob's saying this is good... for an X-men movie.

Sep 17, 2009
CthulhuRlyeh said:

OT:

Not trying to be a dick, but cmon! Thinking that TDK will always be the best is arrogant. It is a great movie, but it isnt a perfect movie (mostly because of the editing and because the movie tends to fall apart on rewatches). First Class isnt as good, but it is really close.
You may be trying, but you are failing my friend.

TDK isn't perfect I never said, but it is the best superhero movie to come out so far.

All I was saying is that movies where the superhero's have a lot of powers don't seem to be taken as seriously as movies where there are no powesr and a bit more realism. It is sad, but true. And that Bob discredits himself by saying Watchmen is so great...ugh.

And Nolan is not of god of film, but he is one of the greats of this generation.

You are just being a contrarian. Man I didn't think I had to be so blatant with posts around here.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
So, yesterday I got sent a new movie from Netflix. Except that I had forgotten to replenish my queue with new stuff I wanted to see, and the stuff on it was crap that I added a long time ago as "maybe last-ditch backup" movies that I didn't really care about.

Guess which one came in the mail?

X Men Origins: Wolverine.

On the plus side, I'm going with some friends to see First Class tomorrow. You better not have led me astray Bob!

zefiewings

May 28, 2011
I am surprised about how many people are impressed by this. Even in the two commercials I've seen it looks like the most grossly offensive thing about x-men, or even any comic book movie (perhaps) to exist. Why are Eric and Charles roughly the same age as the other characters? why is Beast blue when he is so young? Is Raven really blond? Did that image really just imply that Angel was a WOMAN! Perhaps you can clear some of this up for me escapists.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I actually saw it on my birthday (UK release date) which was the icing on the cake of a fantastic day. It is fantastic!

OT, I'm so glad that Movie Bob liked it as I get annoyed when he marks down films I love, I agree that it is one of the best superhero films we've ever had.

I'm so thrilled by how ace it was I just want to go and watch it again!

Edit:
zefiewings said:
I am surprised about how many people are impressed by this. Even in the two commercials I've seen it looks like the most grossly offensive thing about x-men, or even any comic book movie (perhaps) to exist. Why are Eric and Charles roughly the same age as the other characters? why is Beast blue when he is so young? Is Raven really blond? Did that image really just imply that Angle was a WOMAN! Perhaps you can clear some of this up for me escapists.
Don't worry, everything you're worried about gets explained and by the by, google/look up on wikipedia the name Angel in the X-men universe. It will clear things up, cos it certainly confused me the first time.

Because of the time setting Charles and Eric are approximately the same age as the other charecters although a little older, why one particular charecter is able to be there is explained. Beast is blue for a similar reason to the comics, Raven is a shapeshifter remember, and Angel is a different Angel who has insectoid traits.

Ascarona

Jan 24, 2010
Wow, as good as The Dark Knight? I'm starting to distrust Bobo lately, I watched Scott Pilgrim and I couldn't stand it, while I did like the Expendables a bit. I liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine and sort of agreed The Last Stand kind of sucked but not that much either. So who knows, maybe it will be as good as Bob says or maybe it won't. Definately going to check it out though.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
was anyone else given an idea when he placed a metroid other m image while talking about how great it was that this movie negated it's terrible later installments?

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
Two things:
1) X-Men Origins: Wolverine was nothing spectacular. X-Men 3 sucked. I know it came second; but Wolverine's movie, no matter how uninspiring it was, was not worse than X-Men 3. Go back and watch them both if you need a refresher.

2) The Dark Knight was one of the greatest films of all time. I'm sick of people lumping it in as the greatest comic book movie of all time. I'm sure this new X-Men movie is good, Bob (you've only ever been wrong about Daybreakers so far) but to compare it to The Dark Knight sort of undermines all that "respect" nerds keep on complaining their genre doesn't receive. If I go watch this movie and change my mind, I'll be sure and get back on here and recant; but if I don't, I really hope people start noticing the difference between a good genre film and a good overall film.

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
You really are comparing it to The Dark Knight? Wow. When I first started watching Escape to the Movies, you pretty much had the same opinions I did on the particular movies. In recent months, dare I say the last year, you've gone so far away from it, it's not funny. Though I don't think this movie was BAD, I wouldn't say it was ANYWHERE near "Must see movie." It's a decent enough popcorn flick but doesn't compare to either Batman movie. As always you are welcome to your opinion, but I think you are starting to go off your rocker.

TobiasFunke

May 17, 2011
TobiasFunke said:
TobiasFunke said:

Wow you are very nice...sorry for being a jerk. But yea just for me next time. Thanks man!
Aww thank you :) You were not been a jerk no worries! Thanks for showing me I will defo use them next time! Thanks again =)

Valgresas

Jul 23, 2009
Somehow Watchmen's half hour of great scenes are slightly negated by the 2 hours it spends being atrocious.

CthulhuRlyeh

May 29, 2011
CthulhuRlyeh said:

OT:

You may be trying, but you are failing my friend.

TDK isn't perfect I never said, but it is the best superhero movie to come out so far.

All I was saying is that movies where the superhero's have a lot of powers don't seem to be taken as seriously as movies where there are no powesr and a bit more realism. It is sad, but true. And that Bob discredits himself by saying Watchmen is so great...ugh.

And Nolan is not of god of film, but he is one of the greats of this generation.

You are just being a contrarian. Man I didn't think I had to be so blatant with posts around here.
Ignoring Bobs love of Watchmen, how am I failing here?
I agree with you that TDK is currently the best, just pointing out that thinking that a superhero movie will never top it is arrogant. Do you have a crystal ball or something?

Maybe he is one of the greatest, but that still doesnt mean that you can dismiss a film you havent even seen just because it isnt a Nolan movie, as if being directed the guy gives the film some kind of untouchable status.

I am being a contrarian here? For what? For not accepting your opinion that a movie you havent even seen yet does not deserve to be compared with TDK, just because you love the latter?
If I said that Nolan sucks, maybe you would have had a point by calling me a contrarian (even though not liking Nolan does not make one a contrarian). I did not, hence you not having a point.

BlackWolf100

Oct 15, 2010
ehh well bob. the film is ok but just as good as the dark knight? thats reahing it there mate.

theres are things i can say about this film, x men first class. one possative: the relationship with yong profeser x and magneto is very good. thay really do give a likeable and relatable expirince for me. i'm very thankfull that the actors who played them diden't try to "hip them up" for the dumped down youth and tried to put a very convensing and likeable paformence, showing 2 sides diffrent views between them very well and some of the sences of magneto did impress me of cool moments he did in the film.

now the problematic parts i find in it. the side cast and plot. it was abit disapointing that most the cast diden't do or say much that got me intresting to them, diden't like the villens who diden't say much, the dimond girl annoyed me cus its more on looks and less on well kown paformce moments, the young mistek was big of a lame and kinda dullness that diden't intrests me, the action was abit weak aswell as the story and the new mutents for the film diden't give me much and was abit piontless on parts the film.

so what i'm basicly saying is that this film may be better then the last 2 x-men films , but i won't dare say its good as the dark knight.

the 2 main chacraters is good but most was just ok.

hope i said it clear and fair about it. i apolages if i upset anyone and you bob if you seen this, just thought i say something about the review.

your still a great inteligent person, bob. looking forward for your next review.

sorry if thiers bad grammer in this post and thank you for reading.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I have a big problem with prequels. I'm not sure why, i just feel things should always be moving "forward", not "backward", and while you're still learning about the intricacies of plot development and character relationships previously unknown from the past, it still lacks so much appeal when you know what's going to be the outcome. And the fact you know it's not going to really conclude, since it can't by its very nature as a prequel. It's the same thing that brings down 'second' movies in a trilogy.

I'm also happy to see that dull blue-grey palette brushed aside. That made the first two almost unbearably dull to watch. It's also highly unsurprising First Class is good - in the first two, you're thrown into the mythology of the universe headfirst. You, the characters and the world all accepts these misfits and their powers. Real excitement comes from discovering superhuman powers for the first time. Part of the reason Spiderman 1 (and in the same vein, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) were so good is that you were experiencing the awakening, misuse, and eventual realisation and control of these powers with the character. No-one wants to be thrown into something already established. They want to be introduced gently and then be set free to go wild, before finally being taught the "Uncle Ben" lesson.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Although it's difficult to take this review seriously now that I know Bob liked Watchmen, I am getting tempted to see this.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Gotta say, X-Men First Class was really fun. McAvoy was simply so sweet and innocent that he really did end up more likable than a more worldly Xavier would have. And as far as hot blondes go, personally I think Jennifer Lawrence stole the show.

One minor gripe though: Shaw squares off against Magneto. That's fine. But Shaw is wearing a METAL HELMET at the time! Yes, on his easily squishable head! That's like fighting the Human Torch just after you finished taking a nice dip in a pool filled with gasoline. And while he apparently has the power to absorb energy, that seems not to work when people shove shards of metal through his head. Which a handy dandy metal helmet would turn into when deformed by a guy who controls metal.

And because Erik is brilliant like that, he doesn't use his powers to crush Kevin Bacon's head at all. Please please please, comic book nerds, explain to me why Erik doesn't need to wear his own special padded helmet and cut circles of paper with his safety scissors.

Yes, I know he wants the hat too. But how about just pulling it off Shaw's head using one of only two things he normally does to metal: change its shape or lift it.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I have the miss fortune of the only X-men movie I have ever seen was Wolverine. I didn't think it was THAT bad, just mostly bland and stupid, though as far as I can tell how much anybody likes that film is inversely proportional to how much of a fan you were of the good films and comics.

However, I might try to get a good start with this one.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
"...and he's hit it out of the f***ing park!"

That does it... I am seeing this movie! Thanks Bob!

May 17, 2010
Aureliano said:
Gotta say, X-Men First Class was really fun. McAvoy was simply so sweet and innocent that he really did end up more likable than a more worldly Xavier would have. And as far as hot blondes go, personally I think Jennifer Lawrence stole the show.

One minor gripe though: Shaw squares off against Magneto. That's fine. But Shaw is wearing a METAL HELMET at the time! Yes, on his easily squishable head! That's like fighting the Human Torch just after you finished taking a nice dip in a pool filled with gasoline. And while he apparently has the power to absorb energy, that seems not to work when people shove shards of metal through his head. Which a handy dandy metal helmet would turn into when deformed by a guy who controls metal.

And because Erik is brilliant like that, he doesn't use his powers to crush Kevin Bacon's head at all. Please please please, comic book nerds, explain to me why Erik doesn't need to wear his own special padded helmet and cut circles of paper with his safety scissors.

Yes, I know he wants the hat too. But how about just pulling it off Shaw's head using one of only two things he normally does to metal: change its shape or lift it.
Never noticed that. Possibly the helmet could of interfered with his ability to move it when Shaw was wearing it. Or it may of been made out of something which wasn't metal. I still prefer the old (x-men 1 and comic book) explanation that Magneto made the helemt himself to specifically counter Cerebro but what are you going to do?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Hmm, I was always going to be sceptical of this film, but now my interest has been peaked.

For the record I thought Last Stand pretty good, but Origins was terrible, they could have had so much more fun with Gambit and the sword guy played by Ryan Reynolds, but nooooooo, Hugh Jackman must take every single spotlight. :mad:

cursedseishi said:
And I really wish people would stop praising the Dark Knight, it's like beating a dead frackin horse now and I felt there was more than a few inconsistencies with it that didn't fit, one of which being Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker for the most part.
The Joker was the star of the show, he really stole all my attention, so I think that Heath Ledger played him pretty well.

I guess that is just your nostalgia kicking in though right?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Aureliano said:

Because Magneto wasn't just going to kill the man, he was making a point. That man sat in an office and asked him to move that coin: when he couldn't he murdered his mother in front of him on cold blood. Magneto wanted him not only to suffer, to be reminded why he is suffering: killing Sebastian Shaw wasn't motivated by pragmatism but revenge. He also recognized the helmet's ability to block psychics; handy to have.

My only complaint is the really stupid argument Charles uses to try and convince Erik not to turn the missiles and shells back on the ships that fired on them. Of all the possibilities, 'Just following orders' is not only weakest from a general standpoint, but towards a survivor the Holocaust of Nazi Germany's Third Reich it was downright offensive.

However it did allow for a pretty badass response: "I've been at the mercy of men just following orders before, never again"

Ragweed

Jan 18, 2008
Thought it was good, but not great, certainly not Dark Knight-tier. Found the tone and narrative to be really rushed and unfocused in the first half, but things improved vastly when it tightened up in the second.

The villains of the Hellfire Club were a real weak point. I still have no idea who Shaw was as a character beyond him wanting to create a mutant-only society and just being a dick.

McAvoy and Fassbender were the definite highlights for me and really; their relationship and dynamic was the only one I found myself invested in during the film. Perhaps if the story had focused more on the characters of the mutants and their relationships and struggle within society it would've helped focus the film? I mean I do realize it's a superhero film and you have to have some form of villain, not to mention setup the next future for the later/earlier films, but I dunno, just something I found lacking.

So yeah, pretty good film. Agreed, that it's on par with the first two X-Men movies, but a Dark Knight it is not.

EvilDemon

Apr 2, 2010
Okay first off I agree with everything Bob said, it was an amazing movie.

But

Killing off Darwin within the first 30 mins of the film was so stupid. He was one of the main reasons I was excited about the film, yes I knew he was just a side character. But its just sad that he was really put into the film to be "the one that died". Mind you he probably isnt dead and has just become energy. Even still anyone whos read Darwins origins would know that he is a great character and would have been far more interesting to watch over someone like Banshee or Angel.

JohnnyRooks

Nov 7, 2010
Can someone please tell me how First Class negated Wolverine? Please, its really bothering me i just don't see it.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I want to have a less geeky opinion from one of you? I like Bob and all and he does unless influenced by his geeky nature know his movies. I like slow paced movies that take time to develop characters and play their genre well.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Arkvoodle said:

Hey, there's the new Transformer movie coming out. So, go crazy on that one. =]

Mister Linton said:
Why comic fans feel that needs to be screwed up with a bunch of silly nonsense is beyond me.
Super-hero comic fanatics are fond of their useless knowledge of insanely muddled continuity and value it over proper narrative and character development any time.

Tdc2182 said:
10 Bucks (don't worry, I haven't seen/ know anything about this) that it shows Wolverine being born.
This movie happens in the 60's. So, not by a long shot.

Gordon_4 said:
My only complaint is the really stupid argument Charles uses to try and convince Erik not to turn the missiles and shells back on the ships that fired on them. Of all the possibilities, 'Just following orders' is not only weakest from a general standpoint, but towards a survivor the Holocaust of Nazi Germany's Third Reich it was downright offensive.
Spoilers, dude.

Anyway, it served to clearly show how naive he was.

DearFilm

Mar 18, 2011
Bob, I could not agree with you more. In fact, my own web site granted this film just about the same level of praise as you did. Glad to see we sync up on this one - definitely worth seeing.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Having seen it, I'm confused how itretcons out the Last Stand (which is of course still terrible). Can anyone explain it? I understand how it does Wolverine Origins (Xavier standing, another girl named Emma) but even those could easily be handwaved to include that movie (telepathic projection, coinicidence)

Sperium 3000 said:
but there's one little bit of continuity snarl that really gets under my skin. On the second X-Men movie, we see a cameo from then human Hank McCoy, future Beast. In the third movie, he's suddenly there as the Beast, with no explanation about when and how that happened, and everyone was happy and amicable with him like he's been there from the beggining despite no mention made in the previous two movies. Now, on this one, Beast is there from the very beggining, already turned into the big blue genius bruiser eveyrone loves. It's just hard for me to accept this movie while that ugly thread keeps on poking out, poking me in the eye.
He was using a holographic image inducer that he invented because he was worried about how he'd appear to the public, then when mutants became more mainstream he outed himself and stuck to being blue and proud. There I made up a perfectly decent excuse that fits with the comics and movies.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
cursedseishi said:
The Joker was the star of the show, he really stole all my attention, so I think that Heath Ledger played him pretty well.

I won't deny it, but I still felt overall Jack Nicholson was the best example of a live-action Joker from what I've seen. Don't get me wrong, Heath Ledger was damn good in the movie, but I only felt he nailed that Joker vibe a few times throughout the bloated affair, otherwise he was just a well-acted thug with makeup. And the constant lip-licking thing... I don't know where that came from, or whose idea it was, but was completely unnecessary, like they put cherry lip balm or something on him each time and he was just in love with it...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Just got back from this. It's even better than I thought it would be.
Also,
Retcon FTW!
(I won't spoil that one moment that stood out, for me anyway, but let me just say this: less is more.)

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
This movie made me utter words I never thought I would say:

"Holy crap. I would so do Magneto."

I was never a big X-Men fan. It was fun, but it never piqued my interest more than any other super hero movie. This, however, might just be one of my favorite movies. I liked it more than Dark Knight *puts up flame shield*. So glad I saw it.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, Bob.

If there's one thing I don't like is how MovieBob just seems to over-embellish how bad the last two X-Men movies were. I watch his videos to get an idea of what he thinks about that movie, not how bad other movies are. Besides, having seen X-Men: First Class yesterday, I really, really don't think X-Men 3 or Wolverine are even comparable to it.

Also, my girlfriend hates me for saying how much those two films suck because she loves Hugh Jackman and Gambit. XD

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
cthulhumythos said:
was anyone else given an idea when he placed a metroid other m image while talking about how great it was that this movie negated it's terrible later installments?
Well, he liked the game so I wouldn't know anything about that.

Feb 11, 2009
Well. I didn't really like The First Class. Seemed too rushed and too much akin to the new Pirates to be likable. The acting was really good though.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Just got back from watching this. FUCKING AMAZING!!!

Definitely not a Sophomoric effort....sorry I couldn't resist.

But seriously, go spend your money on this now!

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Matthew Vaughn: Layer Cake, Star Dust, Kick Ass and now First Class. He also produced Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels as well as Snatch. Hardly fledgling.

Raven's Nest

Feb 19, 2009
Funniest/Best. Cameo. Ever...

Loved the whole film too. And for the record I actually liked Wolverine:Origins too, would somebody mind filling me in as to why it gets so much hate?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
dint expect much first but after watching it, it turned out to be really good. i also think that X3 is not terrible. sure not the best but watchable. i have seen far worse then that. also the wolverin (or how ever you spell it) movie was not that bad i think. but again, not as good as the first 2.

so yes, first class is a good movie. worth watching it.

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
Not a joke. This movie is a return to previous glory. It was very good: excellent. Two thumbs up. I just came back from watching it, and I'm literally bursting with enthusiasm over how good it was. If you like X-Men, if you liked the first two movies, if you HATED the last two movies, then watch this. It will make you smile. It will make you forgive, even forget the shit of the past(as MovieBob alludes to in the video). But I'll stop here (like I said, I'm BURSTING) ... just do yourself a favor and check it out.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
The only real complaint I had with this one was the surprisingly apparent lack of 60's iconography, with the obvious exception of the Cold War.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Considering that I thought X-Men Origins was the best of those 4 movies (and that POTC 4 was pretty good), I'll probably hate this movie. So excuse me if I'm extremely skeptical of MovieBob saying it's up there with the Dark Knight (which is one of my favourite movies).

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
voidspawn said:
No lame rabbit and frog skit about how this is just another cash-in sequel?
Call it whatever you want, the movie is still Amazing.

OT: Just watched it today and I agree with you, Bob. They actually pulled back pretty nicely. But i have to say... While it's not a must to have any former connection to the franchise it would certainly make things a lot more enjoyable if you did.

As for the point about about the familiar cast of heroes being gone in this one, i think that's part of what made this one so good. Those who have watched the last 4 movies would probably be getting tired of the same old powers, so it's refreshing to see some new ones around.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Wow! What a pleasant surprise! When I heard they were doing another XMen, I was like, "Dear God. Why? They're so awful!"

But maybe it's actually good. May have to go see this one.

fierydemise

Mar 14, 2008
Its good but its not really Dark Knight class. It certainly wants to be, it emphasizes character development and relationships (very well too) but it doesn't engage with the underlying themes as fully as Dark Knight does. Yes there are some interesting scenes that try to look at the questions of what mutants mean for humanity but it never quite gets there.

Going forward I'm curious to see what happens, if they do intend this to be something of a prequel to the X1 and X2 there isn't much further they can go before they really start stepping on some continuity toes.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Aureliano said:
Because you don't want to so much as touch (or play "keepaway" with) someone who can absorb and redirect kinetic force whose just siphoned up something close to an H-Bomb's worth of juice. Even just crushing it wouldn't do the trick, as he'd probably be strong enough to resist it and we've already seen he can expend stored-energy outward in a blast-radius. Hence the need to immobilize him first, as he seems to need to consciously "activate" his energy-releases - remember, he says he uses absorbed energy to stay young and he actually looks YOUNGER in 1962 than he did in 1944, so it's reasonable to assume that he's always walking around with some level of a "charge" but is able to do so without blowing up everything he touches.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
in all honesty i believe X-men 3 was much worse that origins wolverine. At least in XOW you had over the top characters and good actions scenes even if the CGI was dodgy and Deadpool's origin story was at best reworked and at worse taken out back and raped. While X3 not only killed off most of the interesting characters but managed to be both boring and cliche. the fight scenes were bland and uninteresting and while I'll admit for a moment phoenix was pretty cool, wolverine being powerful enough to shrug off disintegration and kill her with claws was just stupid and uncreative.

Now i have to ask, is this what origins; Magneto became or are we still waiting for that?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
(note, I haven't seen the film yet) Wow, I'm surprised that it got such a good review from him! Like he said, I was pretty much expecting it to BE like X3 and Origins, which is why it has hitherto not really been on my "must watch" list, despite loving the X-Men. I'll have to be sure to see it now!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
JohnnyRooks said:
Can someone please tell me how First Class negated Wolverine? Please, its really bothering me i just don't see it.
MASSIVE
MASSIVE
MAJOR
MEGA
HUGE
SPOILER(S)

in "Wolverine," We see Xavier still able to walk in 1979. According to this movie, he's been crippled since 1962. Thusly, those two films cannot exist in the same timeline.

By the same token, this ALSO invalidates the additional wrinkle to Jean Grey's backstory shown in flashback in "X-Men 3," because in that scene Xavier is still walking AND he and Magneto are still pals in the late-70s/earily-80s - NEITHER of those things lasted past 62 according to "First Class." And since so much of "X3's" plot relies on that event having taken place, it cannot have happened either.

Meanwhile, we can still assume that the first two films are "safe" (for now) because of the TWO "ageless" characters from the original series who appear in the same form here: Not only do we get the much-ballyhooed Wolverine cameo, there's also the bit where Magneto tells Mystique she's too young to be making advances at him and she "ages herself up" into Rebecca Romijn, who played the character as an adult in the originals.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
MovieBob said:
in "Wolverine," We see Xavier still able to walk in 1979. According to this movie, he's been crippled since 1962. Thusly, those two films cannot exist in the same timeline.

By the same token, this ALSO invalidates the additional wrinkle to Jean Grey's backstory shown in flashback in "X-Men 3," because in that scene Xavier is still walking AND he and Magneto are still pals in the late-70s/earily-80s - NEITHER of those things lasted past 62 according to "First Class." And since so much of "X3's" plot relies on that event having taken place, it cannot have happened either.

Meanwhile, we can still assume that the first two films are "safe" (for now) because of the TWO "ageless" characters from the original series who appear in the same form here: Not only do we get the much-ballyhooed Wolverine cameo, there's also the bit where Magneto tells Mystique she's too young to be making advances at him and she "ages herself up" into Rebecca Romijn, who played the character as an adult in the originals.
Thanks that answers my questions too.
In the comic univesre that wouldn't be enough to invalidate the continuity, Xavier has regained his ability to walk just to lose it again a couple of time and Magneto has flip flopped from villain to ally several times.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
I saw it and was actually quite pleased. But any fans of the comics book may find it hard, like I did, may find it hard to overlook the knit-picky details. Such as Alex Summers being a main character when he's Scott Summers' (Cyclops) LITTLE brother. And cyclops isn't even born yet. But they're a small complaint for the quality of the movie.

elmo360

Jun 7, 2009
Most of the time i agree with u moviebob, but this time idk. I saw the movie and to me it was noting more than another x-men movie they pushed out there bum.

Horben

Nov 29, 2009
Whoa, wait what? Did we see the same Wolverine movie? I skipped X3 but I liked Wolverine a lot.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Saw it last night and I agree completely. It's really damn good with some flaws but overall:GOOD! It may be the previous films making me think this but you have to watch it! **** stars in my opinion.

Smexers

Jul 31, 2010
this is most probably a big "no-no" for you, but moviebob, could you possibly PM me with how x-men united/wolverine: origins is negated, i just watched the film and is actually my fav super hero movie (3 missile cock-blocks)i just dont see how they're erased

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
cursedseishi said:
CardinalPiggles said:
cursedseishi said:

I won't deny it, but I still felt overall Jack Nicholson was the best example of a live-action Joker from what I've seen. Don't get me wrong, Heath Ledger was damn good in the movie, but I only felt he nailed that Joker vibe a few times throughout the bloated affair, otherwise he was just a well-acted thug with makeup. And the constant lip-licking thing... I don't know where that came from, or whose idea it was, but was completely unnecessary, like they put cherry lip balm or something on him each time and he was just in love with it...
Hahahaha, I love that, if I ever have to put make-up on, some Cherry lip balm is going on too.

but besides that, fair point, he didnt portray The Joker as he was envisioned.

but i think we can both agree that for that movie, he played the part exceptionally well, The Dark Knights opposite in every way. although i do think he kept the psychopath vibe going throughout the whole film quite well, and thats The Joker all over isnt it?

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
The movie was amazingly entertaining, if a bit long.

They did drop the ball a few times though which keeps it from reaching the so-called "Dark Knight" status. The scene with all the kids showing off was down right stupid. Did anyone else think that whoever played Mystique wasn't very good? either that or the character wasn't really fleshed out very well (writing-wise).

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Totally agree with the review. I saw it for the second time yesterday and damn is that movie good. An film that features Professor X chugging a yard of lager is fine by me!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I probably missed this on one of the 6 pages but is there a post-credit scene for this movie? I know this movie hasn't got anything to do with the other recent Marvel movies but I'm still planning to sit through the credits for this one.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Shoggoth2588 said:
I probably missed this on one of the 6 pages but is there a post-credit scene for this movie? I know this movie hasn't got anything to do with the other recent Marvel movies but I'm still planning to sit through the credits for this one.
Nope there isn't. I learnt the boring way.

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Nice, so X-Men first Class erases my two least favourite X-Men Films from the continuitiy. The only thing we need now is a game that erases the Sakamoto Trilogy (Zero Mission, Fusion and Other M) from existence and the entertainment Balance is restored.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Finally, a movie that doesn't get a 'no see' order. I was starting to think I wouldn't go to a cinema at all this summer.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Got back from seeing a couple of hours, and, yes, it's great. My biggest complaint is pacing. For being a film of moderate length, it moved way too fast for it's own good, which is odd because usually Vaughn does a rather good job with pacing his movies. First Class just seemed to move way too quick, and not in a breezy kind of way. I would have loved if the film took a couple breaths in between some of it's major scenes. Other than that (and some clunky editing and rare cheesy lines), it's basically as good as everyone is saying it is. I will probably see it again.

Thank Christ, because X3 and Wolverine were just such terrible movies.

Wingmna

Feb 10, 2009
The first two XMEN weren't good at all.

The last time I watched the second one I was insulted at how horrible the good guys were. Like literally, I would trust Magnetito more then the others. The 'good' xmen in the end did most of the killing if you watch it through, they killed anyone who disagreed with them. It was intellectually aggravating to have the bad guys more honest then the good guys.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Can't really find any enthusiasm for this movie I hated the first two xmen movies and really really hated the last two. As a big fan of the comics I found the movies to be shallow and a real waste of the potential of the source material. Not to mention all the bits that they got grotesquely wrong.
You want to see how an xmen movie should be made try watching Hulk Vs Wolverine, now that's a good movie :)

Shio

Jun 4, 2011
People raved about the other X-Men movies too, and boy did I hate them.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
It not nearly as Batman Begins/Dark Knight good, but it better than most comic book movies, some good acting.
Nothing after the credits, shame too.

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
CleverCover said:
So excited!
Careful. Theres a cameo scene that drops an F bomb. Films PG-13 so thats ok but I'm sure its going to be a bit awkward for younger audiences being bought in by their parents and siblings. Just a heads up.

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
Uh, that is quite risky what you said there. Dark knight is at the moment pretty much the holy grail of comic book movies. Comparing the x-men movie to that raises unfullfillable expectations.

On a side note, I think it is cool they included the father of nightcrawler, because 1) Nightcrawler was one highlight of x-men 2 and 2) he screws mystique.

Unfortunately, the mystique in the trailers does not look as hot as the one in the first movies.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
Riiiiiight me and Nostalgia Critic has to be only people on earth who likes X-men 3

Can someone please point out why people hate it so much?

and I'm going to watch First Class next week. Let see how it "deletes two bad movies" from the timeline (something that I find very hard to believe, and I can already point out that Emma Frost is not one of the reasons)

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
MovieBob said:
Aureliano said:

...Yes, I know he wants the hat too. But how about just pulling it off Shaw's head using one of only two things he normally does to metal: change its shape or lift it.
Because you don't want to so much as touch (or play "keepaway" with) someone who can absorb and redirect kinetic force whose just siphoned up something close to an H-Bomb's worth of juice. Even just crushing it wouldn't do the trick, as he'd probably be strong enough to resist it and we've already seen he can expend stored-energy outward in a blast-radius. Hence the need to immobilize him first, as he seems to need to consciously "activate" his energy-releases - remember, he says he uses absorbed energy to stay young and he actually looks YOUNGER in 1962 than he did in 1944, so it's reasonable to assume that he's always walking around with some level of a "charge" but is able to do so without blowing up everything he touches.
And that's why the last sentence of my post asks why he doesn't just LIFT the helmet off Shaw's head with his powers. Because that's also something Magneto can clearly do with metal.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
This may sound like the dumbest thing to ever say, but was it just me or were they setting-up for a sequel? - Let me clarify what I mean, most of the characters are new and we don't know anything about them in the future. That and there are a few connections that haven't been established that were hinted at and exist in the comics.

Aside from some patchy CGI and acting, it was good. Not fantastic, but probably the best of the series. I don't understand the comparison with the sombre and bar-setting Dark Knight. Or for that matter why moviebob thinks wolverine is worse than a film where Vinny Jones spouts "I'm the Juggernaut *****" (which on the whole was bad, but wasn't horrible). Wolverine, despite being a illogical mess was a perfectly serviceable brainless action film.

Tip to parents who were in front of me, don't bring your 4 year old to a 12a, especially when the first scene is in a FRIGGEN' CONCENTRATION CAMP!

Oh and nothing after the credits...What gives?

EDIT: And what was with giving Mystique 3 romantic entanglements?

JohnnyRooks

Nov 7, 2010
MovieBob said:
JohnnyRooks said:
MASSIVE
MASSIVE
MAJOR
MEGA
HUGE
SPOILER(S)

Thanks Bob

ww2jacob

Mar 21, 2008
I liked the movie, but I was irritated a bit at how the SR-71 Blackbird (actually probably technically an A-12, based on the timeline) they were flying around in could turn on a dime and HOVER. This is the plane that set the manned aircraft speed record, it doesn't hover! In fact it used a parachute to help slow it down enough to land.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I think we're all forgetting the most fundamental achievement of this:
it's a reboot, a prequel, and it's the franchise's best movie.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
X-3 was definitely a train wreck. Origins: Wolverine was alright - honestly I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't want to sit through it again.

THIS, though. This was fantastic. The undertones of racial struggle are what got me hooked on X-Men in the first place, and this movie really uses them to bolster the plot. You never question motivation - you never start to question what is really compelling a character to do something, and you never have to come to the tremendously depressing conclusion that he's doing it to set up some awesome fight scene or visual spectacle.

I love it when we agree, Bob :D

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Went and saw the movie today. Just wanted to say that I really liked it. There were a few things here and there that bothered me, but I don't expect stuff like this to be perfect.

I liked the film, and I was one of those skeptical people. I was glad to see it was a lot better than the last few installments of the X-Men movies.

However, seeing Beast in this movie did remind me the main compliment I could give to The Last Stand was that Kelsey Grammer as Beast WAS a pretty kickass choice.

Sep 17, 2009
TwistedEllipses said:
This may sound like the dumbest thing to ever say, but was it just me or were they setting-up for a sequel? - Let me clarify what I mean, most of the characters are new and we don't know anything about them in the future. That and there are a few connections that haven't been established that were hinted at and exist in the comics.

Aside from some patchy CGI and acting, it was good. Not fantastic, but probably the best of the series. I don't understand the comparison with the sombre and bar-setting Dark Knight. Or for that matter why moviebob thinks wolverine is worse than a film where Vinny Jones spouts "I'm the Juggernaut *****" (which on the whole was bad, but wasn't horrible). Wolverine, despite being a illogical mess was a perfectly serviceable brainless action film.

Tip to parents who were in front of me, don't bring your 4 year old to a 12a, especially when the first scene is in a FRIGGEN' CONCENTRATION CAMP!

Oh and nothing after the credits...What gives?

EDIT: And what was with giving Mystique 3 romantic entanglements?
Yea the movie has been signed for a trilogy...so they were setting up for a sequel. Woo! I am pumped.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Only flaw I found was all the way at the end where the X-Men decide to hide out. Yeah nobody is ever going to think to look there. Much smaller flaw than with Batman Begins' microwave emitter. I think I can live with this one.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
I'll send my grinning lacky DoesntWantLunch to confirm, but after Due Date i could use a decent movie with a touch of cynicism.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
I must have seen the wrong movie considering the fact that everyone and their grandmothers are going crazy about this movie, saying it's "one of the best comic book movies ever made" or that it's "the first flawless comic book movie since TDK." People need to chill out a little bit. It's a good movie, sure, but it's certainly not worthy overwhelming praise it has received. It's more of a 7/10 instead of a 10/10.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Kenami said:
CleverCover said:
So excited!
Careful. Theres a cameo scene that drops an F bomb. Films PG-13 so thats ok but I'm sure its going to be a bit awkward for younger audiences being bought in by their parents and siblings. Just a heads up.
Don't worry. The brother in question is 17. He'll be fine with it.
I'm not stupid enough to take a 5 or 12 year old to something like this and be upset when a curse comes flying out of someone's mouth.

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
I thought Wolverine Origins was a really good movie, the only flaw being that Deadpool got messed around with.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Honestly... There are some things that just don't work in this movie.
Some parts of it are excellent with a very strong James Bond vibe and a dialogue that feels believable and interesting. Magneto and Xavier and Kevin Bacon are just joys to behold. However, since these parts are so good and so immersive, they really clash with some of the more comic-y parts of the movie which end up destroying the cool vibe the rest of the film has going for it. For example(spoiler alert); There's the neat little dialogue between Beast and Xavier about "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" which foreshadows his transformation really well. His feet, pre-transformation, are some of the coolest CGI-creations I've seen, and the transformation itself is just pure awsomeness. Then we get to the big reveal; we are going to get to see the beast for the first time after the violent and horrendous transformation. The X-men are all lined up, in their snazzy new uniforms for the first time. This is it, now we get too see the whole team in their final form... and out walks someone in a cheap-looking Smurf Chewbacca-suit. Really?

The movie is like that a lot. It builds up this great cool world with multiple central conflicts and then, out-of-the-blue, a comic-y version of Satan or something shows up that feels like something from a different movie entirely. I'm reminded of something Yhatzee said in relation to the Arkam Asylum game;

This does feel like reaching for the low-hanging fruit - and Batman is nothing if not a low-hanging fruit - but I just love that bit in The Dark Knight when Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart are talking about bringing down the mob, and it could almost be a scene from The Departed, until Batman flounces in wearing pajamas and a bucket on his head and no one bats an eye.
However, I feel like that movie made it work, while this movie really didn't. And I kind of get the feeling that MovieBob chooses to ignore, or just plain isn't bothered by, the things which don't work; probably because he's so happy about the fact that everybody isn't wearing black rubber.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I've said it a million times now but I'll say it again. In the commercials magneto always looks like a child in that giant helmet.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I dislike the idea of rewriting continuity, and although I love this film for doing it, I couldn't get into it for the exact same reason.

Also, the fact that it has Havok in it is bullshit. Havok is Cyclop's LITTLE BROTHER. And he's put as a couple of years younger than Xavier in this film?
Angry nerd mode initiated.

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
Spidey 2 is my favorite superhero movie too. Well it's in his top 3. Can't wait to see 1st class.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Back from the theater...
that was so AWESOME :D
agreed so much about Michael Fassbender (he also pulls what may be seen as a 'Christopher Waltz', though he gives it enough of his own tones to evade being just a copy)
Also, McAvoy has quite a few mannerisms that, for a psychic, can make him easy to read
Plus, kudos on Beast's 'origin' and the references to it ;)

paintman

Apr 30, 2011
JohnnyRooks said:
MovieBob said:
JohnnyRooks said:
MASSIVE
MASSIVE
MAJOR
MEGA
HUGE
SPOILER(S)

Thanks Bob
Couple other things that ruin other movies.

You forgot Emma Frost's age, That makes Wolverine impossible as well.

Sadly X2 is also impossible by the same logic because Hank McCoy cameos pre-beastified in that movie.

I do like that they set up for nightcrawler to exist tho :D

II2none

Jan 5, 2011
Wolverine and last stand were great in my book. Although I do agree First Class is far better but hasn't top Dark Knight. Dark Knight has smarter dialogue and to many epic moments to compare it with first class, also its freakin Batman!