Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

BattleAxeRX

Aug 21, 2009
Movie bob set my expectations pretty high by saying how it was somewhere as good as the dark knight or whatever he said exactly, and I was disappointed by most of the movie.

I'll have to watch the review again to get my thoughts in order, but man... it just didn't have enough entertainment... or something.

I have to say the movie is ok if sober and good if drunk...

Sorry, but I get a funny feeling about this review. Seems almost like it's been analyzed more in review than in development and mobiebob is so used to the older stuff being garbage or whatever, that when things don't go wrong, he feels like they're going right... *sigh* kinda disappointing.

This movie doesn't have any of the staying power of the dark knight and I think it was damn near criminal of movie bob to go that far with his peculiar statements. ...please don't do that again...

Adam Asunder

May 26, 2011
This theory that First Class effectively 'deletes' X3 and Wolverine means that X2 has to be deleted also I'm afraid.

Hank Mckoy who we know as The Beast has a brief cameo in human form. He's in an interview televised in the bar when Mystique drugs the security guard.

Xavier also mentions in X1 that he first met Eric (Magneto) at 17 so that also flies in the face of the continuity.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Finally got around to seeing this last night - lots of fun!

Thanks for the review, MB.

munkymp3

Dec 19, 2009
You said it best. Great bad-movie deleter and great movie overall. I loved it almost as much as I loved X-2 despite all the continuity issues and Erik's accent change...and Emma's awkward transformation. If they can put special effects make-up on Mystique, they can do it for Emma. Hell, it'd probably look a lot better. I liked her transformation in between where she looked a little more ~frosty~ more than her complete transformation [x_X]

Paschendale

Mar 20, 2011
Saw the movie on Tuesday. Gotta say, it's f**king GREAT. Good writing, good acting, deft handling of the characters. Bacon was a great villain, and McAvoy and Fassbender were absolutely fantastic. Both characters grew up over the course of the movie. As did Mystique. She felt like a genuine part of the story, rather than a token female role. This was definitely the best of the Marvel movies so far, even better than Iron Man.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
just saw this for the first time. first impressions? Honestly after watching this review, Disappointment. It's not bad but it isn't even close to the scale of the dark knight. I feel thor and cap were better. It's the best of the xmen movies by a long way but i still think it could've been better. It hit the second act early and has a really long second act slump that i found myself frequently distracting myself from it. on the scale of movies based on marvel comic books i'd rate it slightly higher than ironman 1 just under thor.

AS for the review Bob continues to flummox me by saying origins wolverine was worse than last stand.

fieryhotaru

Jan 3, 2010
I thought the movie was really good, but then I looked up the actual origins of the characters, and they were completely different from the film. Why do comic book movies do that? Why can't they make it exactly like the comic book?