Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

Thincrust

Sep 2, 2010
Arkvoodle said:
I am remarkably shocked by how well this film apparently turned out.

And a little bit disappointed; I was all set to hate this.

I agree completely.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I thought Last Stand was an ok film.

What's really that bad about it?
I even thought Origins was ok. Not as good as X1 or X2, but still not as terrible as everyone says.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Wait, what, it's GOOD? well color me surprised. Movie franchises being milked for sequels long after they stopped being good usually don't come back from the dead like this.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
I must see it now.

I loved Thor and most critics claim this is even better then Thor. MovieBob saying its on TDK levels just gets me all excited.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Saw this movie last night, loved the hell out of it, I would see it again if movie tickets weren't so expensive these days

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Roggen Bread said:
Am I the only one who actually liked Origins: Wolverine?
No, I know like... one other guy.

So, yeah, wow. If this movie is placed up with Dark Knight, then I gotta see this.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Sadly, the stupid trailers that keep interupting the site's content mid-video kept freezing everything up. I eventually got this to work about 20 minutes later than I should have.

Regardless, I am happy my faith in Marvel was not unfounded. Let's just hope the Captain America film, the Spider-Man reboot and the Avengers film make this a home-run.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Just saw the movie, I agree that it kicks the third movie square in the nuts in terms of continuity, but the whole Wolverine thing...ehh sorta...just by having the Ice Queen be in Origins and this.
I really enjoyed the movie, but a couple of things kept it from being over the top for me. Way too many references felt really really crowbared in, I mean one of the last lines "no you're not G-men, you're X-men" made me groan. There were points that I just got tired of them beating me over the head with the whole, hey look its the X-men look, look!
Also the fact that they really don't give the characters that much to do really disappointed me, Xavier and Magneto are really the ones carrying the movie entirely. You get some glimpses of Raven and a few other characters, but even then they are mostly back ground and some characters really do damn near nothing. And because of this some of the performances really felt lame compared to the leads.
Also felt that the end of the movie was a bit sped up for the character development, it really felt like Raven's turn was way, way too quick.

Also maybe this is just a direct translation from the comic, but what the heck is with the bad guy's super powers. He has the power to absorb energy, radiation, fire, etc. Ok cool, but it is a bit hard to swallow that this basically makes him untouchable because its like lol bullet, that's clearly kinetic energy so I can get hit by it and be completely fine.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Random Argument Man said:
Roggen Bread said:
Am I the only one who actually liked Origins: Wolverine?
You're not the only one. I thought it was of a "So bad it's good" movie.
I couldn't even manage that.

My problem with this film, which I haven't even seen, is that THE TRAILERS GIVE FUCKING EVERYTHING AWAY.

Jesus. I don't even need to see the goddamn film because the trailers have told me all I need to know!

/grumbles more

//will still probably see this because, if it's good, it's good

///but GODDAMNIT

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
i was mainly against this movie because i thought they were adapting on of my favourite comic book series. X-men: first class (not the best and not my FAVOURITE, but still pretty good), but i guess they just have the same name, so i don't have anything to worry/rant about

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Awesome. I had heard good things, but the initial trailer got me worried. Seeing it later today! :3

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'll admit it, I was pretty on the fence about it. I was still mad at The Last Stand for ruining Multiple Man (Madrox being my favorite mutant character) among other things and Wolverine for...well...just about everything except Ryan Reynolds playing a decent Wade (before they screwed up Deadpool)

I'm glad to hear this movie is good, and I'll probably head out to go see it sometime this weekend.

Thanks Movie Bob! :D

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
All my friends made plans to go and watch this movie right in the middle of my exam period. This glowing review has done nothing to ease my fury at them.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
I wasn't interested in that movie as I thought they were dragging out something they should have stopped making worse a few movies ago. But if it's good AND negated the last two movies? Hell yes I'm going to see it. Can't wait.

I was kind of lukewarm when I saw Mystique wasn't the same actress (isn't she supposed to be over 100 years old or something? Why is she still a teenager at the same time as X and Magneto?) but past the gut reaction I had to it, I think it's cool they picked a new actress. Actually, I pretty much don't know any of the actors in the movie, and I think that's a really good thing, especially if they're so good. It's nice to discover talent so I'm glad they got that opportunity and that the movie didn't go for a more traditional "let's re-use all the stars even if we have to force them into the movie" a la Hobbit.