Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
I actually really liked the Last Stand - It had good storyline, character conflicts and it was damn fun. And oh yeah awesome EPIC battle at the end. Last Stand owned compared to the first two movies which I felt were too formulaic and devoid of any entertainment value. However I do agree about the Wolverine debacle ? it was deplorable. And I must say I know very little to nil about the X-men comics, universes, whatever - which could stand behind why I enjoyed so much the Last Stand while the fans did not.

Can't wait for First Class to hit Europe, great review.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Avistew said:
I wasn't interested in that movie as I thought they were dragging out something they should have stopped making worse a few movies ago. But if it's good AND negated the last two movies? Hell yes I'm going to see it. Can't wait.

I was kind of lukewarm when I saw Mystique wasn't the same actress (isn't she supposed to be over 100 years old or something? Why is she still a teenager at the same time as X and Magneto?) but past the gut reaction I had to it, I think it's cool they picked a new actress. Actually, I pretty much don't know any of the actors in the movie, and I think that's a really good thing, especially if they're so good. It's nice to discover talent so I'm glad they got that opportunity and that the movie didn't go for a more traditional "let's re-use all the stars even if we have to force them into the movie" a la Hobbit.
About Mystique:
The explanation they give in the movie is that because of her cell structure she ages at half the rate of normal humans. Though they kind of dick this explanation in their own movie because they present her as a child at the same time Xavier is a child and yet the are both young adults at the same time when the movie skips ahead in time.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Well, based on the other X-men movies, (and I thought they all were horrible) I had no interest in this. Guess I should check it out now. But then again. Spiderman was in Movie-bobs top 3 superhero movies?...hmmmmm

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Smokescreen said:
Random Argument Man said:
Roggen Bread said:
Am I the only one who actually liked Origins: Wolverine?
You're not the only one. I thought it was of a "So bad it's good" movie.
I couldn't even manage that.

My problem with this film, which I haven't even seen, is that THE TRAILERS GIVE FUCKING EVERYTHING AWAY.

Jesus. I don't even need to see the goddamn film because the trailers have told me all I need to know!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygvoOcPl8g

Watch this. After I've seen the "kid screaming", I knew that it was going to be bad. I just went with it. I didn't even think twice. I poked jokes out of it. In the end, it was a movie buff sniping competition.

The only way to have fun is to make fun out of it.

It's something that "critics like moviebob" could never accomplish because they took the source material a little too seriously. Also, it's important to point out that not everyone can do this.However, if you have some time to kill someday at a rental store, then try it out. That, or you could find other movies to pratice your "poking" skills.

Note* By the way, I always have this rule of taking trailers with a "pinch of salt". Don't take for granted with what they show you.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
UnknownGunslinger said:
Can't wait for First Class to hit Europe, great review.
Where are you from? It's been out since the 1st of June here (France).

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Wait, Nicholas Hoult was good in something? Damn... I mean, I like Skins, but that guy showed all the acting skill of a plank of wood.

OT: Excited to see this tomorrow!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Great I even more tempted to go watch this now! By all means I want to watch it but I'm saving my cinema trips for a few films which my next one is Green Lantern which is out in a few weeks time.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
I never really know what to think of a film when moviebob says it's as good as watchmen... one of his favourites.

That film was f***ing awful on every level.
so... not sure about this.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
you don't have to tell me twice... WE ARE ALL GOING TO WATCH THIS ONE, it's time for a reset for the X-men! (too bad though, I like captain of the enterprise; whose name i couldn't spell, as prof. X...He's SOOOOOOO fitting for that role!!!) I was too shattered back then, with the destruction of Juggernaut (they made him a mutant, and used a You tube reference quote? it's obviously shamed of it's source material, and try to make joke out of it, but they trampled on my favorite character; Juggernaut, "it ain't mutant power, it's MAGIC!"... they could have easily fix it by him ramming to that last wall, breaking it, and fall off the building, in to the water, and the girl holding the boy, looking downward and say "looks like your power doesn't work for EVERYONE..." I HATE THAT SCENE!)

TobiasFunke

May 17, 2011
I loved First Class I thought it was brilliant I really loved the scene with Wolverine! James McAvoy was amazing in it!!!

Sep 17, 2009
How is a mediocre piece comic adaptation directed by the always terrible Zack Snyder like Watchmen in your Top 3, but not The Dark Knight?

I am just going to come out and say it.

I don't think a comic book movie where the superhero has actual powers can ever be as good as The Dark Knight.

OT:

I love X-men and based on reviews so far it is looking like one of the best superhero movies to date, but I wish people would stop comparing it to The Dark Knight, that movie was in a different class...it was a Nolan film for christ sakes.

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
Saw it on Wednesday, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Little cheesy in parts, though not in an awful way, and maybe a tad too hurried, but overall well worth watching, and likely re-watching.

Sep 17, 2009
TobiasFunke said:
I loved First Class I thought it was brilliant
I really loved the scene with Wolverine!
James McAvoy was amazing in it!!!
Hey dude how about using spoiler brackets for stuff like this?

Oh here let me do it for you.

Have some common courtesy please.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
This is a surprising review. From some of the cheesy one liners in it's trailer, and the whole prequel/ younger characters, I was expecting more of the same with a twilight twist. Maybe I'll give this a shot after all.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Huh... Interesting. I didn't expect the movie to be good, and putting Havok in still bugs me, but if it got Bob excited, it can't be that bad.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
HankMan said:
Glad to hear that First Class is a higher grade of film than it's predecessors.
Thank God you're here...

Thank God also that this movie is not worse, but actually beter than X3 and Origins.