Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Awesome :)

I like it when both MovieBob and Spill.com agree on a good movie.
I'm going to see this thing tomorrow!

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
I could accept this movie is a good prequel, and that it does the heroic act of erasing Last Stand and Origins (And Dudepeel with the last one), but there's one little bit of continuity snarl that really gets under my skin. On the second X-Men movie, we see a cameo from then human Hank McCoy, future Beast. In the third movie, he's suddenly there as the Beast, with no explanation about when and how that happened, and everyone was happy and amicable with him like he's been there from the beggining despite no mention made in the previous two movies. Now, on this one, Beast is there from the very beggining, already turned into the big blue genius bruiser eveyrone loves. It's just hard for me to accept this movie while that ugly thread keeps on poking out, poking me in the eye.

TobiasFunke

May 17, 2011
Nautical Honors Society said:
TobiasFunke said:
I loved First Class I thought it was brilliant
I really loved the scene with Wolverine!
James McAvoy was amazing in it!!!
Hey dude how about using spoiler brackets for stuff like this?

Oh here let me do it for you.

Have some common courtesy please.
I am sorry! I did not even think! Apologies!

MBE

Jul 1, 2009
Or, how about "Hangover 3" be a prequel? How the wolfpack got together, with the help of a time-traveling Zach Galifianakis? Or "Hangover 3" be a reboot with an all new cast?

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
I saw this yesterday and it's fucking brilliant. Seriously. My favourite bit is the cameo with Xavier, Magneto and xxxcensoredxxx. If you've seen it you'll know what I'm on about. It's really funny.

p.s. I liked Last Stand and Wolverine. Please don't hit me!

Lordedubs

Sep 11, 2010
I just saw it last night and it was much better then 3 or Origins: Wolverine. When I left the theater I was laughing and talking enthusiastically whit friends. when I saw the last 2 movies in theaters there was nothing but silence from me and my buds as we walked to the car believing we had just watched the end of the X-men.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Awesome. I'm so taking my brother to go see this. I was hoping it'd be good.
So excited!

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
voidspawn said:
No lame rabbit and frog skit about how this is just another cash-in sequel?
Ha!

I see what you are saying, but I also can't imagine he'd have had enough to say about the Hangover 2 without putting in some kind of filler. (And I'm willing to bet he doesn't get paid to submit two minute reviews.)

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Like so many others I was going to skip this one until I saw this review. I expected Bob to hate it for whatever myriad reasons (most of them relating to it being a bad movie), but I'm surprised to see that's not the case.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I actually liked Wolverine's Origins. But as always, I also lack lore knowledge and general nostalgia so I have nothing to compare to.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I see the comparison to Dark Knight because it's a little more high-minded. Focusing on character development, interpersonal relationships and conflicts, it's the best of both worlds for an action movie: brain and brawn (fantastically epic action sequences).

It's not as good as Dark Knight if we're dealing with philosophies and themes. The mature themes of social prejudice and civil rights is not as developed because the homo sapien perspective isn't shown at all. We don't get to see how the public take the existence of mutants like in the first two Xmen movies (or Xmen Evolution, goddamn I love that show). We only see the military side of USA and Russia, and there's no politics to what action should be taken.

Overall, agree with nearly everything he said. Knew he'd love it when I saw it yesterday.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Compared to what Wolverine went through to get his skelleton and his Weapon X training it's like comparing Alien vs Predator to... Well anything else with either xenos (except maybe Alien 3).
In other words they took the teeth out of it to sell more tickets, and it backfired.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Definitely going to see this one Bob, on the other hand, why is there so much hate for the Wolverine movie? Sure X-men 3 wasn't very good but Wolverine was a kick ass movie from beginning to end with all the actors playing their parts perfectly and the scriptwriter(s) making outstanding dialogue for all the characters. Sorry Bob but your opinion of that movie is extremely biased (as ironic as that sounds).

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
Bu... but I LIKED the Last Stand.... :<

Granted, the Wolverine movie was drek, but I thought the third was a far cry from terrible.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
As much as I loathe the uniforms the characters are in now..

..I may be convinced to see this movie for the sheer sake of giving it a shot. Maybe.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
Erases them from continuity?
I'm interested in seeing how they pull that off.
I'm guessing it's got something to do with Beast, Angel and Wolverine.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
TimeLord said:
I thought Last Stand was an ok film.

What's really that bad about it?
I even thought Origins was ok. Not as good as X1 or X2, but still not as terrible as everyone says.
Last Stand was nowhere near as good as the outstanding X2, but was enjoyable in its own right. I really enjoyed Origins too...but they criminally underused Deadpool...and kinda wrecked his character at the end.