Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

Kiereek

Nov 18, 2008
I don't understand where all this hate for X3 and that last one came from. I thought they were really good, and nobody complained about them here.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Nami nom noms said:
I never really know what to think of a film when moviebob says it's as good as watchmen... one of his favourites.

That film was f***ing awful on every level.
so... not sure about this.
I'm glad SOMEONE agrees. Seeing it as a 7.7 on imdb made me question humanity a little bit.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Well this is definitely a surprise.I was a bit reluctant wanting to see this movie,but after all the praise that it get I think I am going to check it out and see for myself.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I really likes this movie. Fassbender was just fucking awesome in my opinion. Want I really want to know is this: *ahem*

WHEN THE HELL AM I GOING TO GET A MOVIE WITH COLOSSUS IN A DECENT ROLE I MEAN GEEZUS PEOPLE??? *huff puff*

Okay, I'll calm down now.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
I was ready to let this one pass off into obscurity, but if its really that good, then I will give it a shot.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I get you disliked Hangover part II bob, but your little quip at the end "forget the first two movies" thats implying the first one was bad which it wasn't at all.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
In movies it is easier to establish verisimilitude when you only give the audience a single unbelievable conceit to accept. That is why ancillary and main characters are now mutants instead of aliens or wizards or gods. Stop bitching about it and just accept it. Stan Lee actually was quite brilliant introducing the idea of mutation in the original comics because it allowed a variety of powers with only one origin. Why comic fans feel that needs to be screwed up with a bunch of silly nonsense is beyond me.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I saw this the other day (I love my local!) and while I don't think its quite as good as MovieBob says, It is definetely well worth going to see if you're a fan of comic book films. I thought the comic nods to things such as Charle's hair were a nice touch, and it was nice to see Xavier as a bit of a dick and a ladies man . My second & third biggest complaints are that it goes along a too speedy a pace which makes some things feel a little forced (more on that in a minute) and some of the scenes, namely the office scene between young Eric and Shaw and the "we need codenames bit" are too cheesy even for a comic book film.

My biggest complaint is about the ending:

First of all, I have to say I really liked the ending. I thought the crippling of Xavier was a brilliant idea and seeing Magneto in full costume at the end was a pure geek moment, but I think they went too far. I think the film would have ended better without the attack on the mutants and instead Charles and Erik ending as still Allies, but with a slighty strained friendship. Ending it as they did meant the shift in alligences (specifically Mystiques) felt too sudden, and a sequal exploring the breaking of their friendship alongside a bigger threat (possibly set in the late 60's to paralel the 2 sides of the civil rights movement) is, I think, an oppotunity missed.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
As much as I try I really can't disagree enough, this film was pretty average. No where near as good as the Dark Knight when taken on its own merits, but not so bad as to be as terrible as the last 2 movies (Last Stand and Origins)

And if I ever hear James Mcavoy utter the phrase "what a groovy mutation" no one on my street will sleep again for the amount of insane rage filled screaming I will perform

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
I'm glad Jeniffer Lawrence is getting more work. Is it weird that every young actor I'm excited to see more of is usually a girl? It happened with Kirsten Dunst in Interview with a Vampire, and recently it has been Chloe Moretz, Emma Stone, and Saoirse Ronan. Where are the new Macaulay Culkins or Haley Joel Osments?

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
daxterx2005 said:
I get you disliked Hangover part II bob, but your little quip at the end "forget the first two movies" thats implying the first one was bad which it wasn't at all.
I agree, and the only reason the second one is looked down upon is because it is an obvious cash in. If they made another hangover (in 5 or so years) that did some new things, i would be on board. I think that's what made the first hangover so good... it had fresh ideas and tone.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
So, First Class turned out to actually be First Class in the quality department?
Who'd have thunk?

Not me, but I'm glad it did anyway!

May 17, 2010
Dead_Lee said:
Care to explain which scenes undermine the previous two x-men films?
He is talking in terms of continuity and how it ignores established continuity for example Wolverine ended with a Bald but still able ot walk Charles, but in this film that isn't the order in which events transpire

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
AvauntVanguard said:
I actually liked Wolverine's Origins. But as always, I also lack lore knowledge and general nostalgia so I have nothing to compare to.
They screwed up so badly on the lore of the movie. The actual story of Weapon X is fascinating, and the sole reason why Wolverine is so fun to watch and learn about. The movie did exactly what every comic lover is afraid a movie will do... make a good movie, but not about the fiction we love. We would rather have an ok movie that follows the story to the T (ie Watchmen, Sin City).

azra_jael

Mar 19, 2010
Oh man, I was already really excited for this movie (LOVE the X-Men), but now I'm 100 times more excited!

+100 points for erasing Origins, though I really didn't mind the X3. Not the best, but I found it at least marginally entertaining to watch. Origins though.... *shudder*

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I just saw this. I don't think it's nearly as good as Bob says it is. Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie, and it does look like Citizen Kane when compared to Wolverine, but there are a lot of sloppy scenes and pretty much the whole beginning was terrible.