Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Wow. Movie Bob is never going to forgive the first couple of X-Men movies for the "yellow spandex" snub, is he...?

I guess I just have to write that off as the same misguided comic-fan dementia that thinks shoehorning Robin into the new Batman movies would be a good idea.

(Sorry, Bob, just have to give you a little shit about those.)

At least in the mod-sixties setting, the bright colors make a bit more sense.

I'm glad to hear that it's good; I'll look forward to giving it a go.

cursedseishi said:
Aye, and for what it's worth Wolverine was decent as well. I enjoyed it, it inspired one of the few decent movie-based videogames, and I bet the only reason so many people were freaking out and blasting Wolverine was because of Deadpool.
Ah HA HA HA HA!... No.

Tell you what. Go watch Wolverine again. Now come back and tell me why Wolverine and Gambit have that long stupid fight. Actually, tell me why Gambit is in the movie at all.

It's no wonder it was responsible for one of the better movie video games; the movie itself is paced like a video game, in all the worst senses of the word. It pretty literally assumes the audience will get bored if there isn't a "boss fight" every twenty minutes or so. What remains between the action sequences is mediocre fanservice and feeble, stilted attempts to shoehorn the film into the existing continuity.

If you can enjoy it for that, hey, I don't hold it against you. But please, don't pretend for one single instant that most or even the majority of the dislike for the thing is limited to some kind of mindless Deadpool fanboyism.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Abedeus said:
jovack22 said:
Everybody is too harsh on the last stand.
It was fine for what it was.
True, it wasn't my favourite, but it's not a terrible abomination.
But it is crap comparable to Spider-Man 3.
Hallelujah! Speak it from the Mountain!

OT: I will definitely have to check this out.....now to Google January Jones images.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
So despite the fact that young magneto looks silly in his helmet, people hated the photoshopped croch head posters, and people are getting Angel mixed up with Angel from the abomination that was Last Stand it's still a good movie?

Well alright then :)

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
10 Bucks (don't worry, I haven't seen/ know anything about this) that it shows Wolverine being born.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
I'm going to trust you on that one mister Robert.

I bought my ticket for tomorrow, will post my thoughts when I'm back from the cinema.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Well if its as good as Dark Knight then I look forward to this coming to seeing this. Though one small thing that bugged me was Beast was originally just an abnormally strong and agile human but eventually turned into his more animalistic form; would've been nice to show the viewers that.

Efrede

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks for the thumbs up Bob I was all set to not go see this but I'll give a whirl now.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Ok, I was on the fence about seeing this after the horror that was the last two x-men movies. But now that I'm hearing that these movies are being negated from our minds(Highlander 2 style), I just might recommend this to my friends.

Because I'm sure as hell not going to be alone if First Class fails to meet up with my expectations, and I openly plead to the gods that MovieBob be struck down for getting my hopes up... or not.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
3....fucking...27...

oh my fucking god. my ass is on its way to the theatre as we speak. all i needed to see was those costumes, and all doubts I had about this being a good movie vanished like Cyclops shot me in the face.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
In retrospect, this is a long one. Grab a soda and enjoy:
When I saw Thor a few weeks ago I got up to use the restroom as the trailer for this movie was starting, because it was the movie I cared for the least. X-men isn't really my thing for the most part. I personally thought the first three movies were lukewarm experiments in superhero movies at best, and just groan-inducing failures at worst.
To back up my OPINION (don't start a quote war with me please), note that Sabretooth doesn't even speak in the first movie, just growls whenever he has to reply. That's movie shit I can't stand. "Big guys can't have a functional brain." At least Bane (as in the so-called movie Batman Whatever) had enough gray cells to repeat the last word anyone said to him. But maybe they were making up for a guy that can't act? I don't know. And the Juggernaut? Really? Just boil him down to an internet joke that wasn't funny in the first place? And they even had a good actor play that character. I bet the helmet helped hide his I-can't-believe-I'm-saying-this-shit-but-man!-I'm-getting-well-paid-for-it face.
Rant aside, from what I heard from my friends I should have stuck around for the trailer, but I really didn't want to have to get up in the middle of the movie. I've kept my expectations rather low for this one, but if they actually put in the work to try to say "Those last two didn't happen" I might just have to pony up for a ticket. Just seeing the bits in this review have me actually a little "X"-cited? Gawd, that hurt to type but I couldn't resist.
P.S. MovieBob: Excellent dig on The Hangover movies at the end there. I couldn't believe how many people acted personally affronted that you didn't like the sequel.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm actually glad Fox gets to keep the series. Just as movie studios don't care much for superhero films beyond making money, Marvel is FAR too much in love with their lore to understand that you can't make movies the same way you make comic books. It's why Iron Man 2 and Thor had such SERIOUS story issues, all which seem to get a hand wave just because they're setting up the Avengers

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I'll see it and probably enjoy it (I love Vaughn). But this is still frustrating as Hell. What I want to see, and what most fans probably want to see, is some characters / storylines from the 80's-90's era of the comics. The way they set this up in the 60's, with the characters they used, another reboot would be necessary to do this. That means that by the time we see a powered up Rogue, a sussed out Gambit, Cyclops and Colossus, and the appearance of Psylocke, the Morlocks, the Sentinels, Sinister and Apocalypse, at least a decade will have passed.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
I'm a combo of happy and sad, happy it's a good movie will def see it now. But I'm sad that marvel won't be getting it back sooner from Fox, I really don't like how Fox handles anything.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Sequel? The Sentinels? Jeez I hope so. Seriously, how could they only exist in the crappiest movie as a just a training program . . . oh and in the GAME for the third movie which was also very bad.

I'd love to see me some big giant robots go up against mutants.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Huh, I would have guessed it to be in the same category as the new pirates movie. What a wonderful surprise, now I'll have to see it!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Damn, and I had just finished telling my friend he shouldn't bother with it...

Mar 20, 2010
I just came home from the theater. Let me tell ya. Bob speaks the truth. Go watch this movie, its one of the best movies based on Marvel comics yet. (if not the best) I'm not kidding when i say, i'm gonna see it again next monday.