Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Im genuinely surprised. I was about to pass this film off. I agree taht X3 sucked and Wolverine sucked, so I was going to just say this was going to be a cash in and nothing more. Maybe I will see it afterall.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Origins 'poster' was in french :D
also: I definitely like the 60s feel they gave it. Will definitely check it out :)

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Echo136 said:
Im genuinely surprised. I was about to pass this film off. I agree taht X3 sucked and Wolverine sucked, so I was going to just say this was going to be a cash in and nothing more. Maybe I will see it afterall.
This. A good review from Bob means I'm likely to see this now, but now I've got my hopes up I'm slightly nervous. Twice burned, lesson learned and all that. If the review is accurate, then it will be nice to see my favourite comic finally treated with the proper care and attention.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Hey say what you want, the opening credits scene of the Wolverine movie was damn cool... if nothing else was as good...

Sep 17, 2009
TobiasFunke said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
TobiasFunke said:
I loved First Class I thought it was brilliant
I really loved the scene with Wolverine!
James McAvoy was amazing in it!!!
Hey dude how about using spoiler brackets for stuff like this?

Oh here let me do it for you.

Have some common courtesy please.
I am sorry! I did not even think! Apologies!
Wow you are very nice...sorry for being a jerk. But yea just for me next time. Thanks man!

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
......the only x man movies i liked were the first and origens..... (for different reasons cause lets face it if u didnt go into origens thinking its just wolverine beating the shit out of things with little real story im sorry but that was a mistake.)

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Saw this at the midnight release. Didn't arrive quite early enough, so I got stuck in the second row, little too close for my tastes, but still, good god this movie was awesome.

Michael Fassbender is as good of a magneto and Sir Ian McKellan. I never thought I would say that.

Also, possibly one of the best cameos during the "recruitment" scene. The whole audience just lost it, it was too funny.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Arkvoodle said:
I am remarkably shocked by how well this film apparently turned out.

And a little bit disappointed; I was all set to hate this.
Me too. Now I feel conflicted.

OT: Massive Xmen fan, didn't like the idea of breaking continuity, but Wolverine was already being erased from the timeline...

Why can't James McAvoy get a job with his own accent?

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Yay! I was really hoping this movie wouldn't suck, it looked relatively good (which is funny because the X-Men movies are all terrible)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Frist Xmen film was way to realistic and dim, 2nd one was bad the thrid one a steaming pile, this one gets it, make a comic film not a bland hollywoodized action film that bares no resemblance to the IP its made from....

CthulhuRlyeh

May 29, 2011
How is a mediocre piece comic adaptation directed by the always terrible Zack Snyder like Watchmen in your Top 3, but not The Dark Knight?

I am just going to come out and say it.

I don't think a comic book movie where the superhero has actual powers can ever be as good as The Dark Knight.

OT:

I love X-men and based on reviews so far it is looking like one of the best superhero movies to date, but I wish people would stop comparing it to The Dark Knight, that movie was in a different class...it was a Nolan film for christ sakes.
Not trying to be a dick, but cmon! Thinking that TDK will always be the best is arrogant. It is a great movie, but it isnt a perfect movie (mostly because of the editing and because the movie tends to fall apart on rewatches). First Class isnt as good, but it is really close.
Also, since when is Nolan some kind of God of film making?

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
I just don't trust his reviews anymore. That is, I don't think his and my opinions on movies are close, and so don't watch things.

He compared it to Dark Knight in quality, and while that had a few good performances, the actual movie was pretty terrible.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Hmmmmm. I liked Origins: Wolverine..... (especially the intro credits war scenes. Those were cool)

Guess I'd really like this then.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
But you see, I for one have never seen X-men as a particularily interesting or unique series.
To be frank, I find it rather dull compared to other things.

So, for me, it's like Movie Bob's saying this is good... for an X-men movie.

Sep 17, 2009
CthulhuRlyeh said:
How is a mediocre piece comic adaptation directed by the always terrible Zack Snyder like Watchmen in your Top 3, but not The Dark Knight?

I am just going to come out and say it.

I don't think a comic book movie where the superhero has actual powers can ever be as good as The Dark Knight.

OT:

I love X-men and based on reviews so far it is looking like one of the best superhero movies to date, but I wish people would stop comparing it to The Dark Knight, that movie was in a different class...it was a Nolan film for christ sakes.
Not trying to be a dick, but cmon! Thinking that TDK will always be the best is arrogant. It is a great movie, but it isnt a perfect movie (mostly because of the editing and because the movie tends to fall apart on rewatches). First Class isnt as good, but it is really close.
Also, since when is Nolan some kind of God of film making?
You may be trying, but you are failing my friend.

TDK isn't perfect I never said, but it is the best superhero movie to come out so far.

All I was saying is that movies where the superhero's have a lot of powers don't seem to be taken as seriously as movies where there are no powesr and a bit more realism. It is sad, but true. And that Bob discredits himself by saying Watchmen is so great...ugh.

And Nolan is not of god of film, but he is one of the greats of this generation.

You are just being a contrarian. Man I didn't think I had to be so blatant with posts around here.