Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

beema

Aug 19, 2009
So, yesterday I got sent a new movie from Netflix. Except that I had forgotten to replenish my queue with new stuff I wanted to see, and the stuff on it was crap that I added a long time ago as "maybe last-ditch backup" movies that I didn't really care about.

Guess which one came in the mail?

X Men Origins: Wolverine.

On the plus side, I'm going with some friends to see First Class tomorrow. You better not have led me astray Bob!

zefiewings

May 28, 2011
I am surprised about how many people are impressed by this. Even in the two commercials I've seen it looks like the most grossly offensive thing about x-men, or even any comic book movie (perhaps) to exist. Why are Eric and Charles roughly the same age as the other characters? why is Beast blue when he is so young? Is Raven really blond? Did that image really just imply that Angel was a WOMAN! Perhaps you can clear some of this up for me escapists.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm going to see it next Wednesday on my birthday. Hopefully, I'll enjoy it.
I actually saw it on my birthday (UK release date) which was the icing on the cake of a fantastic day. It is fantastic!

OT, I'm so glad that Movie Bob liked it as I get annoyed when he marks down films I love, I agree that it is one of the best superhero films we've ever had.

I'm so thrilled by how ace it was I just want to go and watch it again!

Edit:
zefiewings said:
I am surprised about how many people are impressed by this. Even in the two commercials I've seen it looks like the most grossly offensive thing about x-men, or even any comic book movie (perhaps) to exist. Why are Eric and Charles roughly the same age as the other characters? why is Beast blue when he is so young? Is Raven really blond? Did that image really just imply that Angle was a WOMAN! Perhaps you can clear some of this up for me escapists.
Don't worry, everything you're worried about gets explained and by the by, google/look up on wikipedia the name Angel in the X-men universe. It will clear things up, cos it certainly confused me the first time.

Because of the time setting Charles and Eric are approximately the same age as the other charecters although a little older, why one particular charecter is able to be there is explained. Beast is blue for a similar reason to the comics, Raven is a shapeshifter remember, and Angel is a different Angel who has insectoid traits.

Ascarona

Jan 24, 2010
Wow, as good as The Dark Knight? I'm starting to distrust Bobo lately, I watched Scott Pilgrim and I couldn't stand it, while I did like the Expendables a bit. I liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine and sort of agreed The Last Stand kind of sucked but not that much either. So who knows, maybe it will be as good as Bob says or maybe it won't. Definately going to check it out though.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
was anyone else given an idea when he placed a metroid other m image while talking about how great it was that this movie negated it's terrible later installments?

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
Two things:
1) X-Men Origins: Wolverine was nothing spectacular. X-Men 3 sucked. I know it came second; but Wolverine's movie, no matter how uninspiring it was, was not worse than X-Men 3. Go back and watch them both if you need a refresher.

2) The Dark Knight was one of the greatest films of all time. I'm sick of people lumping it in as the greatest comic book movie of all time. I'm sure this new X-Men movie is good, Bob (you've only ever been wrong about Daybreakers so far) but to compare it to The Dark Knight sort of undermines all that "respect" nerds keep on complaining their genre doesn't receive. If I go watch this movie and change my mind, I'll be sure and get back on here and recant; but if I don't, I really hope people start noticing the difference between a good genre film and a good overall film.

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
You really are comparing it to The Dark Knight? Wow. When I first started watching Escape to the Movies, you pretty much had the same opinions I did on the particular movies. In recent months, dare I say the last year, you've gone so far away from it, it's not funny. Though I don't think this movie was BAD, I wouldn't say it was ANYWHERE near "Must see movie." It's a decent enough popcorn flick but doesn't compare to either Batman movie. As always you are welcome to your opinion, but I think you are starting to go off your rocker.

TobiasFunke

May 17, 2011
Nautical Honors Society said:
TobiasFunke said:
TobiasFunke said:
I loved First Class I thought it was brilliant
I really loved the scene with Wolverine!
James McAvoy was amazing in it!!!
Hey dude how about using spoiler brackets for stuff like this?

Oh here let me do it for you.

Have some common courtesy please.
I am sorry! I did not even think! Apologies!
Wow you are very nice...sorry for being a jerk. But yea just for me next time. Thanks man!
Aww thank you :) You were not been a jerk no worries! Thanks for showing me I will defo use them next time! Thanks again =)

Valgresas

Jul 23, 2009
Somehow Watchmen's half hour of great scenes are slightly negated by the 2 hours it spends being atrocious.

CthulhuRlyeh

May 29, 2011
CthulhuRlyeh said:
How is a mediocre piece comic adaptation directed by the always terrible Zack Snyder like Watchmen in your Top 3, but not The Dark Knight?

I am just going to come out and say it.

I don't think a comic book movie where the superhero has actual powers can ever be as good as The Dark Knight.

OT:

I love X-men and based on reviews so far it is looking like one of the best superhero movies to date, but I wish people would stop comparing it to The Dark Knight, that movie was in a different class...it was a Nolan film for christ sakes.
Not trying to be a dick, but cmon! Thinking that TDK will always be the best is arrogant. It is a great movie, but it isnt a perfect movie (mostly because of the editing and because the movie tends to fall apart on rewatches). First Class isnt as good, but it is really close.
Also, since when is Nolan some kind of God of film making?
You may be trying, but you are failing my friend.

TDK isn't perfect I never said, but it is the best superhero movie to come out so far.

All I was saying is that movies where the superhero's have a lot of powers don't seem to be taken as seriously as movies where there are no powesr and a bit more realism. It is sad, but true. And that Bob discredits himself by saying Watchmen is so great...ugh.

And Nolan is not of god of film, but he is one of the greats of this generation.

You are just being a contrarian. Man I didn't think I had to be so blatant with posts around here.
Ignoring Bobs love of Watchmen, how am I failing here?
I agree with you that TDK is currently the best, just pointing out that thinking that a superhero movie will never top it is arrogant. Do you have a crystal ball or something?

Maybe he is one of the greatest, but that still doesnt mean that you can dismiss a film you havent even seen just because it isnt a Nolan movie, as if being directed the guy gives the film some kind of untouchable status.

I am being a contrarian here? For what? For not accepting your opinion that a movie you havent even seen yet does not deserve to be compared with TDK, just because you love the latter?
If I said that Nolan sucks, maybe you would have had a point by calling me a contrarian (even though not liking Nolan does not make one a contrarian). I did not, hence you not having a point.

BlackWolf100

Oct 15, 2010
ehh well bob. the film is ok but just as good as the dark knight? thats reahing it there mate.

theres are things i can say about this film, x men first class. one possative: the relationship with yong profeser x and magneto is very good. thay really do give a likeable and relatable expirince for me. i'm very thankfull that the actors who played them diden't try to "hip them up" for the dumped down youth and tried to put a very convensing and likeable paformence, showing 2 sides diffrent views between them very well and some of the sences of magneto did impress me of cool moments he did in the film.

now the problematic parts i find in it. the side cast and plot. it was abit disapointing that most the cast diden't do or say much that got me intresting to them, diden't like the villens who diden't say much, the dimond girl annoyed me cus its more on looks and less on well kown paformce moments, the young mistek was big of a lame and kinda dullness that diden't intrests me, the action was abit weak aswell as the story and the new mutents for the film diden't give me much and was abit piontless on parts the film.

so what i'm basicly saying is that this film may be better then the last 2 x-men films , but i won't dare say its good as the dark knight.

the 2 main chacraters is good but most was just ok.

hope i said it clear and fair about it. i apolages if i upset anyone and you bob if you seen this, just thought i say something about the review.

your still a great inteligent person, bob. looking forward for your next review.

sorry if thiers bad grammer in this post and thank you for reading.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I have a big problem with prequels. I'm not sure why, i just feel things should always be moving "forward", not "backward", and while you're still learning about the intricacies of plot development and character relationships previously unknown from the past, it still lacks so much appeal when you know what's going to be the outcome. And the fact you know it's not going to really conclude, since it can't by its very nature as a prequel. It's the same thing that brings down 'second' movies in a trilogy.

I'm also happy to see that dull blue-grey palette brushed aside. That made the first two almost unbearably dull to watch. It's also highly unsurprising First Class is good - in the first two, you're thrown into the mythology of the universe headfirst. You, the characters and the world all accepts these misfits and their powers. Real excitement comes from discovering superhuman powers for the first time. Part of the reason Spiderman 1 (and in the same vein, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) were so good is that you were experiencing the awakening, misuse, and eventual realisation and control of these powers with the character. No-one wants to be thrown into something already established. They want to be introduced gently and then be set free to go wild, before finally being taught the "Uncle Ben" lesson.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Although it's difficult to take this review seriously now that I know Bob liked Watchmen, I am getting tempted to see this.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Gotta say, X-Men First Class was really fun. McAvoy was simply so sweet and innocent that he really did end up more likable than a more worldly Xavier would have. And as far as hot blondes go, personally I think Jennifer Lawrence stole the show.

One minor gripe though: Shaw squares off against Magneto. That's fine. But Shaw is wearing a METAL HELMET at the time! Yes, on his easily squishable head! That's like fighting the Human Torch just after you finished taking a nice dip in a pool filled with gasoline. And while he apparently has the power to absorb energy, that seems not to work when people shove shards of metal through his head. Which a handy dandy metal helmet would turn into when deformed by a guy who controls metal.

And because Erik is brilliant like that, he doesn't use his powers to crush Kevin Bacon's head at all. Please please please, comic book nerds, explain to me why Erik doesn't need to wear his own special padded helmet and cut circles of paper with his safety scissors.

Yes, I know he wants the hat too. But how about just pulling it off Shaw's head using one of only two things he normally does to metal: change its shape or lift it.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I have the miss fortune of the only X-men movie I have ever seen was Wolverine. I didn't think it was THAT bad, just mostly bland and stupid, though as far as I can tell how much anybody likes that film is inversely proportional to how much of a fan you were of the good films and comics.

However, I might try to get a good start with this one.

May 17, 2010
Aureliano said:
Gotta say, X-Men First Class was really fun. McAvoy was simply so sweet and innocent that he really did end up more likable than a more worldly Xavier would have. And as far as hot blondes go, personally I think Jennifer Lawrence stole the show.

One minor gripe though: Shaw squares off against Magneto. That's fine. But Shaw is wearing a METAL HELMET at the time! Yes, on his easily squishable head! That's like fighting the Human Torch just after you finished taking a nice dip in a pool filled with gasoline. And while he apparently has the power to absorb energy, that seems not to work when people shove shards of metal through his head. Which a handy dandy metal helmet would turn into when deformed by a guy who controls metal.

And because Erik is brilliant like that, he doesn't use his powers to crush Kevin Bacon's head at all. Please please please, comic book nerds, explain to me why Erik doesn't need to wear his own special padded helmet and cut circles of paper with his safety scissors.

Yes, I know he wants the hat too. But how about just pulling it off Shaw's head using one of only two things he normally does to metal: change its shape or lift it.
Never noticed that. Possibly the helmet could of interfered with his ability to move it when Shaw was wearing it. Or it may of been made out of something which wasn't metal. I still prefer the old (x-men 1 and comic book) explanation that Magneto made the helemt himself to specifically counter Cerebro but what are you going to do?