Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
The movie was amazingly entertaining, if a bit long.

They did drop the ball a few times though which keeps it from reaching the so-called "Dark Knight" status. The scene with all the kids showing off was down right stupid. Did anyone else think that whoever played Mystique wasn't very good? either that or the character wasn't really fleshed out very well (writing-wise).

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Totally agree with the review. I saw it for the second time yesterday and damn is that movie good. An film that features Professor X chugging a yard of lager is fine by me!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I probably missed this on one of the 6 pages but is there a post-credit scene for this movie? I know this movie hasn't got anything to do with the other recent Marvel movies but I'm still planning to sit through the credits for this one.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Shoggoth2588 said:
I probably missed this on one of the 6 pages but is there a post-credit scene for this movie? I know this movie hasn't got anything to do with the other recent Marvel movies but I'm still planning to sit through the credits for this one.
Nope there isn't. I learnt the boring way.

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Nice, so X-Men first Class erases my two least favourite X-Men Films from the continuitiy. The only thing we need now is a game that erases the Sakamoto Trilogy (Zero Mission, Fusion and Other M) from existence and the entertainment Balance is restored.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Finally, a movie that doesn't get a 'no see' order. I was starting to think I wouldn't go to a cinema at all this summer.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Got back from seeing a couple of hours, and, yes, it's great. My biggest complaint is pacing. For being a film of moderate length, it moved way too fast for it's own good, which is odd because usually Vaughn does a rather good job with pacing his movies. First Class just seemed to move way too quick, and not in a breezy kind of way. I would have loved if the film took a couple breaths in between some of it's major scenes. Other than that (and some clunky editing and rare cheesy lines), it's basically as good as everyone is saying it is. I will probably see it again.

Thank Christ, because X3 and Wolverine were just such terrible movies.

Wingmna

Feb 10, 2009
The first two XMEN weren't good at all.

The last time I watched the second one I was insulted at how horrible the good guys were. Like literally, I would trust Magnetito more then the others. The 'good' xmen in the end did most of the killing if you watch it through, they killed anyone who disagreed with them. It was intellectually aggravating to have the bad guys more honest then the good guys.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Can't really find any enthusiasm for this movie I hated the first two xmen movies and really really hated the last two. As a big fan of the comics I found the movies to be shallow and a real waste of the potential of the source material. Not to mention all the bits that they got grotesquely wrong.
You want to see how an xmen movie should be made try watching Hulk Vs Wolverine, now that's a good movie :)

Shio

Jun 4, 2011
People raved about the other X-Men movies too, and boy did I hate them.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
It not nearly as Batman Begins/Dark Knight good, but it better than most comic book movies, some good acting.
Nothing after the credits, shame too.

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
CleverCover said:
Awesome. I'm so taking my brother to go see this. I was hoping it'd be good.
So excited!
Careful. Theres a cameo scene that drops an F bomb. Films PG-13 so thats ok but I'm sure its going to be a bit awkward for younger audiences being bought in by their parents and siblings. Just a heads up.

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
Uh, that is quite risky what you said there. Dark knight is at the moment pretty much the holy grail of comic book movies. Comparing the x-men movie to that raises unfullfillable expectations.

On a side note, I think it is cool they included the father of nightcrawler, because 1) Nightcrawler was one highlight of x-men 2 and 2) he screws mystique.

Unfortunately, the mystique in the trailers does not look as hot as the one in the first movies.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
Riiiiiight me and Nostalgia Critic has to be only people on earth who likes X-men 3

Can someone please point out why people hate it so much?

and I'm going to watch First Class next week. Let see how it "deletes two bad movies" from the timeline (something that I find very hard to believe, and I can already point out that Emma Frost is not one of the reasons)

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
MovieBob said:
Aureliano said:
One minor gripe though: Shaw squares off against Magneto. That's fine. But Shaw is wearing a METAL HELMET at the time! Yes, on his easily squishable head! That's like fighting the Human Torch just after you finished taking a nice dip in a pool filled with gasoline. And while he apparently has the power to absorb energy, that seems not to work when people shove shards of metal through his head. Which a handy dandy metal helmet would turn into when deformed by a guy who controls metal.

...Yes, I know he wants the hat too. But how about just pulling it off Shaw's head using one of only two things he normally does to metal: change its shape or lift it.
Because you don't want to so much as touch (or play "keepaway" with) someone who can absorb and redirect kinetic force whose just siphoned up something close to an H-Bomb's worth of juice. Even just crushing it wouldn't do the trick, as he'd probably be strong enough to resist it and we've already seen he can expend stored-energy outward in a blast-radius. Hence the need to immobilize him first, as he seems to need to consciously "activate" his energy-releases - remember, he says he uses absorbed energy to stay young and he actually looks YOUNGER in 1962 than he did in 1944, so it's reasonable to assume that he's always walking around with some level of a "charge" but is able to do so without blowing up everything he touches.
And that's why the last sentence of my post asks why he doesn't just LIFT the helmet off Shaw's head with his powers. Because that's also something Magneto can clearly do with metal.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
This may sound like the dumbest thing to ever say, but was it just me or were they setting-up for a sequel? - Let me clarify what I mean, most of the characters are new and we don't know anything about them in the future. That and there are a few connections that haven't been established that were hinted at and exist in the comics.

Aside from some patchy CGI and acting, it was good. Not fantastic, but probably the best of the series. I don't understand the comparison with the sombre and bar-setting Dark Knight. Or for that matter why moviebob thinks wolverine is worse than a film where Vinny Jones spouts "I'm the Juggernaut *****" (which on the whole was bad, but wasn't horrible). Wolverine, despite being a illogical mess was a perfectly serviceable brainless action film.

Tip to parents who were in front of me, don't bring your 4 year old to a 12a, especially when the first scene is in a FRIGGEN' CONCENTRATION CAMP!

Oh and nothing after the credits...What gives?

EDIT: And what was with giving Mystique 3 romantic entanglements?

JohnnyRooks

Nov 7, 2010
MovieBob said:
JohnnyRooks said:
Can someone please tell me how First Class negated Wolverine? Please, its really bothering me i just don't see it.
MASSIVE
MASSIVE
MAJOR
MEGA
HUGE
SPOILER(S)

in "Wolverine," We see Xavier still able to walk in 1979. According to this movie, he's been crippled since 1962. Thusly, those two films cannot exist in the same timeline.

By the same token, this ALSO invalidates the additional wrinkle to Jean Grey's backstory shown in flashback in "X-Men 3," because in that scene Xavier is still walking AND he and Magneto are still pals in the late-70s/earily-80s - NEITHER of those things lasted past 62 according to "First Class." And since so much of "X3's" plot relies on that event having taken place, it cannot have happened either.

Meanwhile, we can still assume that the first two films are "safe" (for now) because of the TWO "ageless" characters from the original series who appear in the same form here: Not only do we get the much-ballyhooed Wolverine cameo, there's also the bit where Magneto tells Mystique she's too young to be making advances at him and she "ages herself up" into Rebecca Romijn, who played the character as an adult in the originals.

Thanks Bob

ww2jacob

Mar 21, 2008
I liked the movie, but I was irritated a bit at how the SR-71 Blackbird (actually probably technically an A-12, based on the timeline) they were flying around in could turn on a dime and HOVER. This is the plane that set the manned aircraft speed record, it doesn't hover! In fact it used a parachute to help slow it down enough to land.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I think we're all forgetting the most fundamental achievement of this:
it's a reboot, a prequel, and it's the franchise's best movie.