Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
X-3 was definitely a train wreck. Origins: Wolverine was alright - honestly I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't want to sit through it again.

THIS, though. This was fantastic. The undertones of racial struggle are what got me hooked on X-Men in the first place, and this movie really uses them to bolster the plot. You never question motivation - you never start to question what is really compelling a character to do something, and you never have to come to the tremendously depressing conclusion that he's doing it to set up some awesome fight scene or visual spectacle.

I love it when we agree, Bob :D

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Went and saw the movie today. Just wanted to say that I really liked it. There were a few things here and there that bothered me, but I don't expect stuff like this to be perfect.

I liked the film, and I was one of those skeptical people. I was glad to see it was a lot better than the last few installments of the X-Men movies.

However, seeing Beast in this movie did remind me the main compliment I could give to The Last Stand was that Kelsey Grammer as Beast WAS a pretty kickass choice.

Sep 17, 2009
TwistedEllipses said:
This may sound like the dumbest thing to ever say, but was it just me or were they setting-up for a sequel? - Let me clarify what I mean, most of the characters are new and we don't know anything about them in the future. That and there are a few connections that haven't been established that were hinted at and exist in the comics.

Aside from some patchy CGI and acting, it was good. Not fantastic, but probably the best of the series. I don't understand the comparison with the sombre and bar-setting Dark Knight. Or for that matter why moviebob thinks wolverine is worse than a film where Vinny Jones spouts "I'm the Juggernaut *****" (which on the whole was bad, but wasn't horrible). Wolverine, despite being a illogical mess was a perfectly serviceable brainless action film.

Tip to parents who were in front of me, don't bring your 4 year old to a 12a, especially when the first scene is in a FRIGGEN' CONCENTRATION CAMP!

Oh and nothing after the credits...What gives?

EDIT: And what was with giving Mystique 3 romantic entanglements?
Yea the movie has been signed for a trilogy...so they were setting up for a sequel. Woo! I am pumped.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Only flaw I found was all the way at the end where the X-Men decide to hide out. Yeah nobody is ever going to think to look there. Much smaller flaw than with Batman Begins' microwave emitter. I think I can live with this one.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
I'll send my grinning lacky DoesntWantLunch to confirm, but after Due Date i could use a decent movie with a touch of cynicism.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
I must have seen the wrong movie considering the fact that everyone and their grandmothers are going crazy about this movie, saying it's "one of the best comic book movies ever made" or that it's "the first flawless comic book movie since TDK." People need to chill out a little bit. It's a good movie, sure, but it's certainly not worthy overwhelming praise it has received. It's more of a 7/10 instead of a 10/10.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Kenami said:
CleverCover said:
Awesome. I'm so taking my brother to go see this. I was hoping it'd be good.
So excited!
Careful. Theres a cameo scene that drops an F bomb. Films PG-13 so thats ok but I'm sure its going to be a bit awkward for younger audiences being bought in by their parents and siblings. Just a heads up.
Don't worry. The brother in question is 17. He'll be fine with it.
I'm not stupid enough to take a 5 or 12 year old to something like this and be upset when a curse comes flying out of someone's mouth.

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
I thought Wolverine Origins was a really good movie, the only flaw being that Deadpool got messed around with.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I've said it a million times now but I'll say it again. In the commercials magneto always looks like a child in that giant helmet.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I dislike the idea of rewriting continuity, and although I love this film for doing it, I couldn't get into it for the exact same reason.

Also, the fact that it has Havok in it is bullshit. Havok is Cyclop's LITTLE BROTHER. And he's put as a couple of years younger than Xavier in this film?
Angry nerd mode initiated.

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
Spidey 2 is my favorite superhero movie too. Well it's in his top 3. Can't wait to see 1st class.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Back from the theater...
that was so AWESOME :D
agreed so much about Michael Fassbender (he also pulls what may be seen as a 'Christopher Waltz', though he gives it enough of his own tones to evade being just a copy)
Also, McAvoy has quite a few mannerisms that, for a psychic, can make him easy to read
Plus, kudos on Beast's 'origin' and the references to it ;)

paintman

Apr 30, 2011
JohnnyRooks said:
MovieBob said:
JohnnyRooks said:
Can someone please tell me how First Class negated Wolverine? Please, its really bothering me i just don't see it.
MASSIVE
MASSIVE
MAJOR
MEGA
HUGE
SPOILER(S)

in "Wolverine," We see Xavier still able to walk in 1979. According to this movie, he's been crippled since 1962. Thusly, those two films cannot exist in the same timeline.

By the same token, this ALSO invalidates the additional wrinkle to Jean Grey's backstory shown in flashback in "X-Men 3," because in that scene Xavier is still walking AND he and Magneto are still pals in the late-70s/earily-80s - NEITHER of those things lasted past 62 according to "First Class." And since so much of "X3's" plot relies on that event having taken place, it cannot have happened either.

Meanwhile, we can still assume that the first two films are "safe" (for now) because of the TWO "ageless" characters from the original series who appear in the same form here: Not only do we get the much-ballyhooed Wolverine cameo, there's also the bit where Magneto tells Mystique she's too young to be making advances at him and she "ages herself up" into Rebecca Romijn, who played the character as an adult in the originals.

Thanks Bob
Couple other things that ruin other movies.

You forgot Emma Frost's age, That makes Wolverine impossible as well.

Sadly X2 is also impossible by the same logic because Hank McCoy cameos pre-beastified in that movie.

I do like that they set up for nightcrawler to exist tho :D

II2none

Jan 5, 2011
Wolverine and last stand were great in my book. Although I do agree First Class is far better but hasn't top Dark Knight. Dark Knight has smarter dialogue and to many epic moments to compare it with first class, also its freakin Batman!

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
...I'm stunned that this movie is earning yet another glowing review, I guess I'll have to see it.

Though frankly Moviebob, why are Spider Man 2 and Watchmen in your top three comic movies? I found myself incredibly frustrated with both, though it's ultimately opinion.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Frankfurter4444 said:
2) The Dark Knight was one of the greatest films of all time. I'm sick of people lumping it in as the greatest comic book movie of all time. I'm sure this new X-Men movie is good, Bob (you've only ever been wrong about Daybreakers so far) but to compare it to The Dark Knight sort of undermines all that "respect" nerds keep on complaining their genre doesn't receive. If I go watch this movie and change my mind, I'll be sure and get back on here and recant; but if I don't, I really hope people start noticing the difference between a good genre film and a good overall film.
I have to say that I prefer Christopher Nolan's Momento over the Dark Night for which movie I think is better.

There are vast differences between movies because I actually find both Avatar and Inception to be the most overrated movies of recent years.