Escape to the Movies: You Are Wrong About Spider-Man 3

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
You Are Wrong About Spider-Man 3

After his review of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9126-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-The-Movie-That-Broke-MovieBob], MovieBob takes a look at 2007's supposedly bad Spider-Man 3, directed by Sam Raimi.

Watch Video

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
you know Bob, all this talk about spidey has gotten me curious, have you seen the spectacular spiderman cartoon greg weisman did a few years back, and if so what did you think of it?

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
I always rather liked Spider-Man 3, so this is refreshing to see.

This thread is going to get messy, though...

Jan 12, 2012
Ehhh...

I still think the movie is pretty bad overall. A lot of the individual pieces work (I've always love douchey Peter and his stupid dances for the same reason Bob does), but that doesn't save the movie. The pacing is still awful, the villains fade in and out of the story at random as it tries to juggle everything, and the MJ/Peter relationship felt like a retread of the first two movies.

It's not an abomination of cinema, but it's not worth praise as a whole. I think Bob's seeing it with rose-coloured glasses.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Spider-Man 3 was amazing. I mean, if you're going to be ridiculous and stupid, go ALL IN. And that movie did.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
its sure is not the best of the trilogy but still enjoyable in its own way. but yes, his over cool behavior was retarded and out of place as well. otherwise, yeah, it was still OK.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Oh this will get some vitriol. I'd have to go back and watch Spiderman 3, I can't remember all that much of it. Still I've never wanted to be mad at this film anyway, especially since 1 and 2 were good.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm so cool and independently minded that I didn't like any of the Sam Raimi Spiderman movies.

Seriously though, when I heard people talking about them years after watching them I was shocked to hear them referred to as "great" and "classics".

I'm pretty sure they lost me with the first movie in when the villain shows up looking like someone wearing a mascot costume and commits villainous acts that consist of riding around on a hoverboard throwing grenades.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Cognitive dissonance Bob. You know all about that so I am surprised at you for your ongoing crusade against this new spider man. Pick on Green Lantern some more that movie was genuinely bad and hateful and a mishandling of intellectual property.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I agree. This movie isn't as bad as people say it is. That being said, I still think it's pretty bad. Way too many villains who were really uninteresting. Franco was the only decent thing in the movie IMO. Also, I found Maguire's acting to be pretty bad whenever he had to do something emotional.

I still don't get how you hated TDKR so much that you harp on it every chance you get though... Different strokes for different folks I guess.

mada7

May 14, 2009
I find that an interesting take on spiderman 3. That said with regards to the finger guns and the rest of that awful jazz club scene deliberately awful is still awful. I didn't really notice venom much in that movie what bothered me more was sandman. This might be what happens in the comics but the generic science pit he falls into to get his powers would've done nothing but swirl sand around if he wasn't in it. The scientists abandoning any concept of a controlled experiment for the sake of getting off work quicker is ridiculous. My other final complaint about the movie is that dumb breakup scene in the park where Harry sits way off in the distance and just trusts Mary Jane not to say something like "Harry is threatening to do X if I don't break up with you. He's sitting off in the distance watching so after this conversation pretend I broke up with you then go beat the shit out of him later" as opposed to actually doing what he wants.

I'd watch dark knight rises 100 times before I rewatch this. That movie was good aside from the weird everyone fires one round of bullets then run at each other and start punching scene

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Zhukov said:
I'm so cool and independently minded that I didn't like any of the Sam Raimi Spiderman movies.

Seriously though, when I heard people talking about them years after watching them I was shocked to hear them referred to as "great" and "classics".

I'm pretty sure they lost me with the first movie in when the villain shows up looking someone wearing a mascot costume and commits villainous acts that consist of riding around on a hoverboard throwing grenades.
Your right. Bob is trying to retcon history here. No one ever took the Ramey spider man movies seriously. They were still goofy and entertaining now as they were at release.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
"The prospect of Felicity jones dressed up as the black cat will not help... much" Lies. Lies and slander.

I agree about pretty much everything you say in this video. While ASM 2 does have some things that work, they aren't as interesting or risky as any of the things that work in Spider-man 3.

I love the emo peter parker bits, for the same reason you did. I rewatched the film after reading Devin Faraci's piece on it years ago and it totally changed my mind. I love how when he's dancing down the street all the women look at him like he's a weirdo, because of course, he is. Just great.

Symion

Aug 30, 2012
Looks like Bob has re-joined the Movie Defense Force.

Welcome back to the fold.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
And Bob confirms he has really bad taste.

Look fine you like the Evil Dead series but Sam Raimi is not some god like director incapable of doing wrong at best his average.

Also Spiderman in comics has been around for 52 years with Peter Parker being a wuss for less than 20 years of that.

The Peter Parker from the Amazing Spiderman films is far closer to what people are familiar with from both the 90's and onwards cartoons were lets face it most people had seen Spiderman before the 2002 film and the comics since the 80's.
Yes but he didn't stop being a wuss untill he grew up. Marrying MJ, Getting out of College, Gwen's death. It was those things that shook him out of his dweeby highschool funk.

Those things hadn't happened in the movie universe yet.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
I remember seeing this on my 14th birthday and thinking it was the best of the three. Got it on DVD the following Christmas, and did not like it as much as I had originally thought. Maybe because I wasn't with my friends laughing about bits of it as I had been in the cinema? I dunno.

Peter Parker dancing down the street is very hard to watch with a straight face, it's embarrassing. Venom was underused and shouldn't have been used unless Raimi was dedicated to focusing on him and him alone (my opinion). Sandman was great, but I was pretty damn annoyed at the retconning of Uncle Ben's death. It made Peter's first act as Spider-Man (apprehending his uncle's killer) completely pointless. Yes, the guy was responsible, but not the actual killer, so placing Sandman as the killer completely negates that scene from the first Spider-Man.

The birth of Sandman scene was amazing, though.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
As much as I love Sam Raimi, I was never a big fan of his Spiderman movies. I actually thought one of the weakest parts was the casting. Tobey Macguire just never felt like Peter Parker or Spiderman to me. I actually prefer Andrew Garfield. He has the banter and wit that seemed to be lacking from the Raimi trilogy. Then again, I group with the Spiderman cartoon of the 90s, and only read a few Spiderman comics here and there, so maybe my view is distorted.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I agree with his take on the first two.... 3rd.... ahhhh not as much.

That was the best defense of that dance scene I could imagine though. I think he may have redeemed that part for me.

That part.

I'd really like to see him review the first two now.