Escape to the Movies: You Are Wrong About Spider-Man 3

Rot Krieg

Feb 6, 2008
Oh my god! I'm not the only one! I not only didn't hate the dance in the street, but it was so utterly absurd I loved it. Still didn't like the movie, but at least I know there's someone else out there who thought it had redeeming qualities.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
JimB said:
Ashoten said:
Cognitive dissonance Bob.
You kind of have to explain where the cognitive dissonance is, or else this just comes off like you're saying words you've heard and that you comprehend are not complimentary but that you don't understand.
You mean its just as worn out as telling someone that they are just saying words if they don't have a 20 paragraph response? Please you are so clever I am awed.

Bob hates Amazing Spider-man because it is a big company (sony) project to make a bunch of films like a product. However Bob has no problem lording mountains of praise on the Marvel movies that are the same thing. What? you thought that Disney was making these because they genuinely want to make cool movies? They don't have a business plan? Of course they do. The ugly thing here is Bobs Nintendo fanboy-ism is bleeding through into his movie reviews and disdain for Sony. His whole review of ASM 2 reeks of un-professionalism. I thought that was obvious though.

But if you don't think Bob has a bias against Sony go watch his gameoverthinker videos on Screwattack.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Spiderman 3 still holds the title for best boss battle and aftermath in a superhero movie. Harry Osborn, after some self reflection, teams up with his friend Peter against Sandman & Venom. The team-up didn't have any macho, grudging respect aspect to it. Not that there's anything wrong with those kinds of team-ups. I dug that the team-up came about on a personal level. When the chips were down, Harry and Peter both sincerely care about Mary Jane, and one another. It was sweet.

Now that I think of it, the Spiderman trilogy were the only movies that had a character's death leave an impact on me.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Ashoten said:
You mean it's just as worn out as telling someone that they are just saying words if they don't have a twenty-paragraph response? Please, you are so clever I am awed.
I did not say or imply anything like any of the things you said in that paragraph. If you want to be mad at me, please limit your anger to things I actually said.

Ashoten said:
Bob hates the Amazing Spider-Man because it is a big company's (Sony) project to make a bunch of films like a product. However Bob has no problem lording mountains of praise on the Marvel movies that are the same thing.
Are you unaware that he said in Tuesday's video what he considers the difference to be, or are you just ignoring as irrelevant? If the latter, then why?

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
How come no one ever talks about how funny that scene where JJJ was trying to control his anger was? That's like the only thing I enjoyed from the movie personally. But I guess we don't need someone to point out that JK Simmons will always be awesome.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Surprised you didn't go on the "too many villains" angle some more, but I suppose you already addressed that. Basically, the movie wouldn't have worked (or would have worked even less) without all 3 villains to balance each other out, notably as Harry does a Heel/Face Turn in the climax to make the big final battle with Sandman and Venom a 2 vs 2. But I liked your take on the "emo Pete" angle and think you probably nailed why Raimi made it that way.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
I always thought the 3 "original" Spider-Man movies where great, part because of them being a bit camp. Sure, the story of mo 3 is a bit of a clusterfuck but most of it at least makes sense and the actors are great! Too bad that series got Sonied to death.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Spiderman 3 made me temporarily hate Spiderman. Yes, it was that bad. I burst out laughing in the theater when emo Parker was doing his little street dance. It's a great movie - as a comedy.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Interesting. Certainly adds some new perspective to a movie that I never like at all. Dunno if I still like it all that much. It's still a disjointed mess of a movie, with too many dumb, unnecessary sub plots, but it does have its moments of genuine good scattered throughout.

I'll have to go back in and watch it again to see if I can take away something new from it.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
And Bob confirms he has really bad taste.
You know, I don't agree with Bob on much, but if there's one thing I can get behind him on it's that Spider-Man 3 isn't as bad as people thought it was, and that Venom was mildly interesting one time when he first appeared in comics. Every appearance after that he's been a boring, one dimensional character that Marvel can never seem to decide whether he should be a villain or a hero, all the while not realizing that the only thing that ever made him interesting was his stalker-esque original portrayal. Not by being a "dark and edgey," version of Spider-Man.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Ashoten said:
JimB said:
Ashoten said:
Cognitive dissonance Bob.
You kind of have to explain where the cognitive dissonance is, or else this just comes off like you're saying words you've heard and that you comprehend are not complimentary but that you don't understand.
You mean its just as worn out as telling someone that they are just saying words if they don't have a 20 paragraph response? Please you are so clever I am awed.
Doesn't take 20 paragraphs to come up with an argument, but what you have now isn't an argument at all.

Ashoten said:
Bob hates Amazing Spider-man because it is a big company (sony) project to make a bunch of films like a product. However Bob has no problem lording mountains of praise on the Marvel movies that are the same thing.
Did you somehow miss the numerous times Bob has explained the difference between Sony and Disney in this regard? One company uses gimmicks and continuity wisely while focusing on delivering a solid stand-alone movie FIRST. The other one constantly blunders in the storytelling department because they are more interested in throwing in the gimmicks and callbacks to hook comic-book fans, and it is detrimental to their movie.

See this is where that little thing called "explaining" comes in, and it didn't take 20 paragraphs either.

Ashoten said:
What? you thought that Disney was making these because they genuinely want to make cool movies? They don't have a business plan? Of course they do. The ugly thing here is Bobs Nintendo fanboy-ism is bleeding through into his movie reviews and disdain for Sony.
We can only speculate whether Marvel/Disney puts their business before their desire to make good movies (they probably do though), that doesn't change the fact that they have still managed to make lots of money AND put enough care into their movies that they come out good. It is a simple matter of which franchise has the better filmmaking skill. I suggest you actually address that before you continue with your little fantasy narrative about how all that matters is whether or not the company makes money.

Ashoten said:
His whole review of ASM 2 reeks of un-professionalism. I thought that was obvious though.
I don't think you quite understand the meaning of "professionalism". It doesn't mean stone-faced, no-nonsense reciting of facts about the movie. Bob has always added a personal touch to his reviews, and while there may be more of that than usual in this case, it doesn't stop him from delivering an honest review either. He still gives us the important facts of the movie as he sees them (incoherent plot, badly developed characters, etc...).

Ashoten said:
But if you don't think Bob has a bias against Sony go watch his gameoverthinker videos on Screwattack.
I have followed them quite well, and this accusation is hardly true either, which I suspect you know because you have once again failed to explain WHAT you are talking about. You seem to think that all of your opinions are self-explanatory and so you forget to apply any kind of logic or critical thinking to them.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Yeah....this reminds me of those jokes that no one laughs at, and still barely spits up a polite chuckle once why it was supposed to be funny is explained in full detail. Congrats your audience now understands what your jokes means, doesn't change the fact that they didn't find your joke funny. Just like you can explain all the intentions/meaning of the film as much as you want, that doesn't change the fact that people were unhappy while they were sitting through it. Like if someone were to make a video on why Amazing Spiderman 2 isn't nearly as bad as Bob's video made it out to be, no matter how valid their points might be would that have remotely any chance of changing Bob's mind on how bad he thought the movie was? Would it change the fact that watching it made him so sad that listening to him talk about it was making me feel sorry for him?

IMO Spiderman 3 was absolutely terrible, and will probably be on my top 5 list of worst movies I've ever watched for many years to come. I guess it was nice of moviebob for making a video trying to explain why "I'm wrong", but that really doesn't do anything for past me that was miserable sitting in that theater. For all the people that did enjoyed SM3, great for you, I truly mean that. That means you were happy and you got your money's worth, which can only be a good thing. Sadly enough I thought it really, really sucked and a video explanation many years later doesn't change that for me.

Although maybe he would've had better luck if he didn't go with the "Your opinion is wrong" approach, that's as productive as trying to start a debate with a insult.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Meh. I still prefer the ASM movies to Spiderman 3. ASM 2 I feel slightly edges out 3 because it had Emma Stone in it. And yes, I'm shallow, what of it?

I do agree that Toby Maguire was a better Peter Parker. Still, I kinda like the socially awkward vibe Garfield gives Peter.

I will agree though that the original two Spiderman movies were great.
piscian said:
Agreed on all points. That's the problem - Spider-man 3 is literally 3 movies crammed into one. Thomas hayden and the sandman story AMAZING. So good. You could actually cut out most of the movie and have a good short film about Sandman. The Goblin storyline if it was fleshed out was a great movie on it's own. Unfortunately I have to agree with Bob for informational and nostalgia purposes I went back and reread or wiki'd the whole venom backstory and maximum carnage nonsense. It's all garbage it really is. Venom as a concept is neat but no writer to this date has been able to add any depth to venom or eddie brock. YOu will never see a section of marvel knights or selfcontained Graphic novel about venom. There's just nothing to say.
Didn't Venom get his own short comic series? Correct me if I'm wrong.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
You critics throw a hissy fit when people even remotely suggest that your opinion on something is "wrong". Try and treat us with the same amount of respect.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I'm glad we're of the same opinion, Bob. I also liked Spiderman 3. Not the best of the trilogy (by a long shot), but still entertaining and fun in it's own right.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it, but I've never quite understood the unreserved hate it gets. Or rather, the AMOUNT of unreserved hate it gets.

Guilen-

Mar 14, 2009
1. The 90s were AWESOME
2. Venom was always badass in a good (entertaining) way, and your knocking on him only points out how you relate more to Parker. Venom, in terms of the badass spirit of comics (sacred thing, man), was always one of the coolest.
3. You've made me really want to actually watch the film for the first time. Your review is the first time I didn't consider the idea of Topher Grace as Venom to be a total travesty.
4. Still like your thoughts here for the most part.