Escape to the Movies: Zero Dark Thirty

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I expected this to be the too long movie you talked about during your review of the hobbit seems I was wrong.
So the main character is Maya,the one from persona 2 or ace attorney?
That was a joke btw.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I am wary to watch this because I loved the fact that The Hurt Locker did not really glamourise the soldiers and showed how depressing and nihilistic the whole war and situation was. Is it too much to hope that a movie that climaxes with an unarmed man who has not really done much for the last 10 years get double tapped in front of his family by a person just as brainwashed and indoctrinated as he is including the billions spent and thousands killed to get to this point, kinda I dunno, highlight that point? Too much to hope I bet. I saw the the killing of Bin Laden as less of a "fuck yeah" and more of a "fucking hell, so was it worth the cost?" Judging by the news I saw, very few people felt the same. I will love this movie if it remotely raises these points.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
The hurt loker got a lot of praise too but i didn't find it special. Also the shaky cam made me nauseous.

What was last week too long movie?

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I don't know. I'm sure the film is really well done, and the acting is top notch and everything, but I really didn't like the Hurt Locker. It was boring and really depressing. And from what you said about excruciating detail Bob, I probably won't like this one either. I'm going to give this one a pass. Maybe I'll rent it. I've got some Django and Les Mis to watch anyway this Christmas.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Just looks like the usual shameless triumphalism to me.

I never understand why America gets so "whoa yeah!" over victories in the "war" on "terror." Your country created these people. If anything films like should make Americans deeply embarrassed at how the only way they can obtain any measure of glory is by actually bothering to get round to cleaning up their own mess for once.

And there isn't even conclusive proof it was Bin Laden they actually killed. I mean who the hell dumps the body of the man they've been hunting for years into the ocean where no independent parties can get verification of the kill? That is assuming they even killed him, and that he didn't actually die years ago of a kidney illness and that the figure in those videos (which were always discovered at convenient times to rebuild support for the "war") wasn't actually a series of disguised agents (I mean seriously, Bin Laden seems to have had at least one nose job over the course of his time as a vigilante as he goes from looking like someone of Arabian descent to someone of clearly African American origins.)

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I found the America Fuck Yeah! reaction to Bin Ladens execution to be both ironic and pretty disgusting. So the subject of this film immediately makes me wary but also taking into account how much I hated The Hurt Locker and well I don't think my interest in seeing this film could be lower.

Usually Bob giving this much praise would give me a slightly more positive outlook but I think I'll just wait a year or two until it's shown on tv.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
jaded zombie said:
an unbiased account of the events leading to the death of bin laden made by hollywood?
call me skeptical
Join me to the club. Anything done by them that is about the war on terror.

Jan 12, 2012
Alandoril said:

I never understand why America gets so "whoa yeah!" over victories in the "war" on "terror." Your country created these people. If anything films like should make Americans deeply embarrassed at how the only way they can obtain any measure of glory is by actually bothering to get round to cleaning up their own mess for once.

And there isn't even conclusive proof it was Bin Laden they actually killed. I mean who the hell dumps the body of the man they've been hunting for years into the ocean where no independent parties can get verification of the kill? That is assuming they even killed him, and that he didn't actually die years ago of a kidney illness and that the figure in those videos (which were always discovered at convenient times to rebuild support for the "war") wasn't actually a series of disguised agents (I mean seriously, Bin Laden seems to have had at least one nose job over the course of his time as a vigilante as he goes from looking like someone of Arabian descent to someone of clearly African American origins.)
Bob goes out of his way to repeat that it is more documentary than propoganda; it ends on a good note, but it wasn't planned that way, and if you don't know the story you wouldn't see it coming.

And yes, American geopolitics led to the creation and funding of Al-Qaeda as a weapon to fight the Soviets, etc. Similarly, you could argue that the reluctance of the League of Nations to curtail the rise of national extremism in post-WWII Germany led directly to the Nazi Party. I think you are missing the point of the movie. (I'm Canadian, BTW)

And that last point? I'm not gonna touch it with an 11 foot pole, so I'll give you this to enjoy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Osama_bin_Laden_conspiracy_theories

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Alandoril said:

Did you even watch the review? He said it's simply a retelling of what happened, not some fuck ya we did it movie. He said that it's actually a pretty dark movie.

Honestly it just looks like you used this thread as an excuse to post your anti American views and your conspiracy theories. If you want to go throwing these opinions around, do it in the R&P section. Seriously, make a thread and use this exact post. I'll sit back and lol at the shitstorm.

00DUMB

Apr 4, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
4:28 "Told ya so"

What exactly was I looking at? Some kind of sequel to Cloverfield or, is that something from the upcoming Godzilla? Or was that something completely different? I'm completely confused about what that could have possibly been other than some kind of Ginbu-made-movie-monster.
I too would like some insight on this image.

TheBestPieEver

Dec 13, 2011
While we recognize that it was a big deal for you, and certainly an important event because of the fallout that it caused. The rest of the world does not remember 911. What I mean, is, the rest of the world has a lot of empathy for what was something really meek actually (Not saying that thousands of people dying is little, but it shocks Americans all the more because they are not accustomed to fighting or being attacked at home) but does not consider it a big deal by itself. Same thing with Bin Laden, even more so, perhaps. The fact that a world power with millions of military budget and who's constantly assassinating foreign figures and constantly at war, managed to make a hit on a target, it's not all that incredible. It's not like we think it isn't an achievement, it's just not something that we consider big. Like when you were in university and a friend of yours managed to buy a really sweet car. Good for you, nice car, I won't remember it a week from now.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
I found the hurt locker... frustrating. The subplot about the little girl was just baffling and frankly out of place. Are there any similar "What are they doing?!" moments in "Zero Dark Thirty"?
I'm with you on that one. The Hurt Locker got a whole tonne of praise heaped on it but all I saw was a jumbled, poorly paced mess of a film with no real direction. I didn't think it had anything to say about war, it just followed a bunch of dudes who happen to be in bomb disposal. It also featured quite possibly the worst case of Ralph Fiennes under-use that I have ever seen; the man's a genius.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
I found the hurt locker... frustrating. The subplot about the little girl was just baffling and frankly out of place. Are there any similar "What are they doing?!" moments in "Zero Dark Thirty"?
I'm with you on that one. The Hurt Locker got a whole tonne of praise heaped on it but all I saw was a jumbled, poorly paced mess of a film with no real direction. I didn't think it had anything to say about war, it just followed a bunch of dudes who happen to be in bomb disposal. It also featured quite possibly the worst case of Ralph Fiennes under-use that I have ever seen; the man's a genius.
The Oscars is Hollywood patting themselves in the back on how awesome they are at making movies, with added American Patriotism (too much of it for my liking).

Had to look who Ralph Fiennes was before I realised I've seen him in a lot of movies, but never could put a name to his face, plus he looks too much like the 9th Dr Who Christopher Eccleston lol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_Doctor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Fiennes

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I going to boycott this movie just because intelligence agencies asked the Obama Administration to hold of releasing key part of the raid so they could digest the intelligence gather and go after more terrorist. Instead they invited a bunch of Hollywood directors and told them classified information. That and they left Shakil Afridi, the doctor who provided the key intel that started the raid to rot in Pakistani Prison.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19554551

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
I believe this movie will get reactions from different demographics similar to The Hurt Locker. What I mean is that after reading a lot about it and talking to a lot of people (to include EOD) I found that:

-Civilians generally liked it.
-Military/defense personnel could like it if able to suspend disbelief
-EOD hated it (they couldn't get over some of the more unrealistic parts)

On that note, based on all I've heard about the movie so far, my prediction for Zero Dark Thirty is:

-Civilians will generally like it
-Military/defense personnel could like it if able to suspend disbelief
-Anyone in the intelligence community will hate it (they won't be able to get over some of the more unrealistic parts)

Of course, I could be wrong and hopefully the portrayal of intelligence work isn't as bad/inaccurate as the trailers make it out to seem, but being an OEF veteran I just can't bring myself to go watch any movies about the current wars (Restrepo, The Hurt Locker, etc)

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
When a version of this movie is released with the entire soundtrack replaced by the soundtrack to 'Team America, World Police', then I'll watch it.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I'm relieved to hear about the film's objectivity.

I must admit when I heard of "Film about the Take-Down of Bin Laden" I had flashbacks to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGdu6XEiZmc

So yes. I am so glad that the film is intelligent and doesn't do the America Fuck Yeah attitude.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I'm really looking forward to Pacific Rim. Giant UN-manned Robots that play like something out of Big O, Power Rangers, and Neon Genesis fighting against monsters for the fate of the world. Freaking awesome!